Competition Automatic Gearboxes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Competition Automatic Gearboxes

Post by Dormouse »

The quality of Leyland shells was diabolical.
Your fiery escapade reminds me of a particularly cocky individual who bought a very well prepared Cooper S replica - right down to Magnesium Alloys. He was strongly advised and banned at Scrutineering against carrying a steel petrol can in his boot. However, he sneaked it back in before we started a Night Navigation Rally and, lo and behold, he rolled it into a field. All was well until he rolled it back on it's wheels. Yes, you guessed it, up it went. When the Firey's arrived they went to extinguish the flames only to find the wheels sparking away like crazy. So water was out of the question. They had to throw sand over the wheels to bury them before they could fully extinguish the flames. "Cocky" was not a popular chappie!. The wheels were left for 12 hours before anyone was allowed to try and recover the car - what was left of it.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Not only were Leyland body shells sold ready-rusted, special measures were in place to ensure the tin-worm was given every nourishment.

I was shocked to find, when rustproofing the Morris 1300, that the rear part of the hollow sill section was actually stuffed with plastic foam (bathroom sponge quality), which extended up well into the rear wheel arch! :shock: :shock:

Presumably this was done to kill resonance/drumming, but WTF!! I yanked a good half-metre of it out, and injected (filled) the hollow section with closed-cell expanding polyurethane foam.
Chris
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

On the subject of 1959 minis, this video is interesting and a little entertaining:

The chugging engine that you can hear in the background near the beginning of the video is actually a factory prototype 425 CC twin cylinder A-series engine which was originally intended to power the mini. Ivan has done a series of videos on the restoration of that engine, stating with just the bare block and head.

On the subject of automatic transmssions, I remember reading (in the 1970s) of one of the professional rally drivers who drove a mini cooper S (but I think not a works driver) who described and experiment where they fitted a full spec rally mini with an automatic transmission, but with a normal clutch instead of a torque convertor. The idea being that the clutch was only used from standing starts and the transmission would look after itself when changing gears. It apparently worked OK, but ended up being no faster than a normal manual transmission.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

xantia_v6 wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 10:27 On the subject of 1959 minis, this video is interesting and a little entertaining:
Very entertaining! Its worth it for Ivan's commentary alone never mind the drive. Just when you think the tear round the bumpy country roads is over he turns up the farm road and says "We'll go like nutters now" (his words) and "through the gate doing 98!". "you wouldn't be able to do that in a normal car!"

Quality stuff!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Well, what a find, Mike!
Confirms mine was a '59 - it had the little square pressings on the front slam panel, and no rear drain-holes in the roof gutter.
Biggest surprise was seeing that red colour - the very same.

Did know that the early cars had the classic chunky blade fan, which I never saw, as mine came without engine.
Changing the fanbelt was a fiddle, I remember. Some folk cut back/removed the rectangular inner-wing cowl, to allow the engine, complete with radiator, to lift out as one.
Ivan referred to how easy it was to add a second (and identical) carb.

He really needs to sort that clonking (steering rack slop), and likely some new shockers as well.
Ours could take roads like that without even a rattle; the Moulton rubber suspension was just silent.

£800 for a wash bottle... #-o By 'eck!

A real treat, watching that.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What a Psycho!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

xantia_v6 wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 10:27 On the subject of 1959 minis, this video is interesting and a little entertaining:

The chugging engine that you can hear in the background near the beginning of the video is actually a factory prototype 425 CC twin cylinder A-series engine which was originally intended to power the mini. Ivan has done a series of videos on the restoration of that engine, stating with just the bare block and head.

On the subject of automatic transmssions, I remember reading (in the 1970s) of one of the professional rally drivers who drove a mini cooper S (but I think not a works driver) who described and experiment where they fitted a full spec rally mini with an automatic transmission, but with a normal clutch instead of a torque convertor. The idea being that the clutch was only used from standing starts and the transmission would look after itself when changing gears. It apparently worked OK, but ended up being no faster than a normal manual transmission.
Entirely correct. The performance was not enhanced using standard gearing but the gearing was all concentric so the total power transmissible had the potential to be way higher than a layshaft box could take
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Just to add to the CVT thread, did you know 2 Daf 55s competed in and finished the 1968 London to Sydney marathon. Not only that they were successful in racing and rallying. There were Formula cars using Daf running gear and very popular they were. Here are some snippets from the Daf Owners Blog pages.
Attachments
Opera Snapshot_2021-07-03_143811_www.dafownersclub.co.uk.png
Opera Snapshot_2021-07-03_143924_www.dafownersclub.co.uk.png
Opera Snapshot_2021-07-03_143956_www.dafownersclub.co.uk.png
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Because the forward and reverse gearbox was between the standard engine and the transmission you could in theory go as fast backwards as forwards. Scary or what!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/18- ... x-types#15
Autocar claims there are 18 kinds of gearbox. I would qualify this as modern transmissions. There are historically many more inventive transmissions
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

If anyone is wondering why you don't just overbore Auto A Series blocks for a Mini it is because many are not thick walled castings from the foundry. Many of the blocks for 1275 gt and Cooper blocks (and some 1300 blocks) were selected/cast with thicker/better walls to avoid porosity. Torque convertors, while heavier, suited certain types of loose surface auto racing. Lightened manual clutch versions of auto box conversions suited other types of racing surfaces.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

the reason the Mini ended up with an 850 cc version of the A series and not the larger versions currently then available was because it would have been too damn fast!
PS this guy was behaving himself in the Mini. he could easily have gone a lot faster
PPS filling the speedo to the fuel guage is an indicated 100 mph - I had a works van 850 that did it and gave wheelspin in the dry in 2nd gear. Oh the bliss of a quick Mini.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have just watched the video of the Mini and it certainly brought back some memories for me. I had an Austin Seven Mini reg 659 DON which I remember to be very similar to Ivan's one. I remember the floor mounted dipswitch but it also had a floor mounted starter button just behind the hand brake!! I used to drive it much like Ivan I do confess, although I was chased everywhere by a plume of blue smoke, but it was its handling that led me into the world of rallying so I'm not complaining!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 Jul 2021, 18:50 I have just watched the video of the Mini and it certainly brought back some memories for me. I had an Austin Seven Mini reg 659 DON which I remember to be very similar to Ivan's one. I remember the floor mounted dipswitch but it also had a floor mounted starter button just behind the hand brake!! I used to drive it much like Ivan I do confess, although I was chased everywhere by a plume of blue smoke, but it was its handling that led me into the world of rallying so I'm not complaining!! :-D
So long as it was just a plume of blue smoke and not a posse of blue lights! :D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

They couldn't keep up on their Velocettes James, no fear of being caught :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!