Peugeot 207 1.4 Diesel torque steer

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Med_tech3
My Cars: Citroen C3 1.6 Auto
Peugeot 207 1.4 hdi

Peugeot 207 1.4 Diesel torque steer

Post by Med_tech3 »

I had the tracking done on my car last year and since then the steering wheel was off centre to the right and while accelerating the car would either pull to the right or the steering wheel would turn itself to the left to keep the car straight. As soon as I let off the accelerator, the wheel would return back to its middle position. The more acceleration I applied, the more it pulled to the right. I took it back to the garage and they found the track rod end was stiff so when the tracking was done previously the steering wheel had turned during the process so it was off centre.
The garage loosened it and set the steering wheel straight. Unfortunately the car still pulls to the right and the wheel turns to the left when I accelerate. I thought maybe the tyres had worn so it was just following the wear patterns. I swapped my tyres diagonal so nsr became osf etc. This hasn't made a difference. The car has recently had an mot (between the two tracking procedures) and had no issues or advisories on steering or suspension. Before the first tracking procedure I did bash the car up a kerb in a car park with no immediate steering issues.
Is there anything I can check? Is it worth buying new tyres for the front wheels?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Simon
Med_tech3
Peugeot 207 1.4 hdi

Re: Peugeot 207 1.4 Diesel torque steer

Post by Med_tech3 »

Just to add. The car drives straight at any speed if it is cruising with no accelaration applied, even if I let go of the steering wheel.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First check the tyre pressure are correct - this can affect the height of the wheels which can prevent the two sides from gripping equally, so you get a traction difference between the front driving wheels.

Torque steer more commonly can be caused in front wheel drive vehicles with transversely mounted engines.

The drive shafts are different lengths, so under acceleration (usually hard acceleration) the side with the shorter length shaft gains torque, so it pulls more than the other side which has the longer driveshaft. So this causes the veering off to one side.

The only other thing non tracking related that I can think of is internal damage to the steering rack where the wheel has been 'kerbed'.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Pablo
My Cars: C3 Picasso Exclusive HDi90 2010

Post by Pablo »

Are the engine mountings good?

A friend had this with a Daewoo. It was only a few months old but the engine was moving and the car would almost leap to the centre of the road really bad. In his case the chassis was cracked.
Med_tech3
Peugeot 207 1.4 hdi

Post by Med_tech3 »

Thank you. It could very possibly be the steering rack. I think the engine mounts are ok.