2.0hdi 134bhp valve dropped, why? (Needs engine replacement)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ianhw77k
My Cars:

2.0hdi 134bhp valve dropped, why? (Needs engine replacement)

Post by Ianhw77k »

My trusty (until a few weeks ago) Peugeot Expert van has dropped a valve and it's made a mess of the engine. I've been advised to replace the engine.
So far, the two quotes I've had are wildly different. A recon with a year's warranty for a shade over £2,000 or a secondhand from a breakers, 1 month guarantee for £450, from a van that's done 91k.

Obviously I'm thinking of the cheaper option, I only do around 5k miles a year. My question is, what makes these valves drop?

This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening, get a few miles on the clock and the top end poos the bed. Is there anything I can do to the replacement engine that will hopefully stop this happening again? It would make sense to do as much as I can before fitting it.
1995 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD (Mine)
2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI (The wife's)
Pablo
My Cars: C3 Picasso Exclusive HDi90 2010

Re: 2.0hdi 134bhp valve dropped, why? (Needs engine replacement)

Post by Pablo »

Usually due to over revving the engine.

Theoretically it could be due to insufficient valve clearance i.e. adjustment. If the valve is not closing properly it could have met the piston at the top of it's stroke.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Its certainly not a common issue that im aware of on this engine. My best guess would be it either due to the way it has been driven in the past or possibly poor/lack of maintenance. Has the vehicle previously belonged to a rental company or even the royal mail by any chance?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its unlikely to happen to another engine as wheeler says, in fact yours is the first report I have heard so a secondhand engine would be the way to go. It wasn't many years ago that you would just whip the head off and take it to an engineering firm. I have run many PSA diesels and the only time that has happened to me was when the cam belt broke on a BX at 114,000 miles, I thought it had been replaced but apparently not. The Hdi engines are normally pretty bombproof unless abused, probably the most reliable on the market.

Peter
Ianhw77k
My Cars:

Post by Ianhw77k »

The van was high mileage and in fairly poor shape when I bought it. I've got the use of a Fiat Scudo, 05 reg with the 110hp hdi in it for now, possibly a permanent solution, I just needed to get back to work. Now I've got to decide what to do with the Peugeot.
Vans, especially decent ones, are difficult to come by at the moment.
1995 Citroen Synergie 1.9TD (Mine)
2001 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI (The wife's)
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Fit that secondhand engine. Before it’s fitted have the cam belt, pulley’s and water pump replaced. Simple job while it’s on the floor. Also why not remove the sump and give it a good clean out, together with the oil pick up filter.
New oil and filter, that engine will last for ages.