Starter relay location Citroen C15 RHD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wilruf
My Cars: Citroen C15D Champ Van 2002

Starter relay location Citroen C15 RHD

Post by wilruf »

Hi all,

My C15 is having trouble starting, when I turn the key I very often just get a 'tick' sound, which I've been told is probably the starter relay. It's very odd when it does decide to start, it can be anywhere from first time to after 15 mins of trying... How can I access the starter relay? I bought the garage manual for the C15 but so far it has me stumped.

Thanks,
Will
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Starter relay location Citroen C15 RHD

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Is it a single click or a succession of clicks when you attempt to start it?

Assuming your battery is in good health, if it's a single click, it's either likely to be the solenoid or the starter itself. The contacts may be worn so are not returning. A slight tap with a hammer around the starter body is often enough to knock them back to get you going. This may help for a while, but ultimately it will need replacing or repairing I suspect as it's only a temporary measure.

If it's repeated clicking, then this can indicate the solenoid being fine, so check battery health, battery wiring and cable condition.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The C15 does not have a separate starter relay, only the solenoid mounted on the starter (that Marc has described).

From you description I would guess that the most likely problem is that the brushes in the starter are sticking or worn. The simplest solution may be to fit a replacement starter.
wilruf

Post by wilruf »

Thanks for both of your replies, it is a single click. How easy is it to replace a starter? I'd like to do these things myself though I NEED to have the van running smooth in two weeks time so maybe garage is my best bet..
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Check out the state of the battery and (importantly) main battery connectors by switching on some interior (cabin) lights, and then trying to crank the engine (with the key). If the lights dim appreciably, rather than just a little, that indicates a large voltage drop on the system, which may be enough to prevent the starter motor from turning properly.

A sign of poor battery connectors is if either main battery terminal gets at all warm when cranking/trying to crank. If the original lead (Pb) lumps, replace with new brass ones, cable strands cleaned back to bright copper.

Also check battery to body to engine main Earth lead, for clean connection at both ends.

You can also try jumping a stout lead from Batt+ to the small terminal on the starter solenoid, to see if that does anything different to turning the key. Not unknown for the contacts on the IGN switch to wear/get dirty, so not properly powering up the starter solenoid.

When all that is checked out — and you've tried the hammer — then replacing the starter motor is likely necessary. Not vastly expensive. Mister Auto will have a choice of several.

Let us know how you get on.
Chris
wilruf

Post by wilruf »

Brilliant advice, thank you.

The interior lights barely dimmed when starting and the earth connections are both solid.

I didn't get much chance to check if the hammer technique worked as it started first time all day!

Would you at all be able to advise how long it may take to replace if that is needed? I see the motor itself isn't that much but seeing how buried it is I worry it'll be an expensive replacement at the garage and I don't feel too confident about doing it myself.

Thanks again
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Get the garage to give you a written quote for the job.
It's a standard operation, so they should have no problem doing this.

Also a good idea to have them supply the new/exchange starter motor as well, so the whole job will be guaranteed, and no quibbles about "your part" if complications were to arise. You may be able to source a new starter motor more cheaply, but weigh up whether the saving is worth the risk.
Chris
wilruf

Post by wilruf »

white exec wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 06:45 Get the garage to give you a written quote for the job.
It's a standard operation, so they should have no problem doing this.

Also a good idea to have them supply the new/exchange starter motor as well, so the whole job will be guaranteed, and no quibbles about "your part" if complications were to arise. You may be able to source a new starter motor more cheaply, but weigh up whether the saving is worth the risk.
Great advise, I'll give the garage a call tomorrow.

I tested the hammer technique today - although with a spanner and having to hit it linearly so not a great whack - but it didn't do any good and I was still stuck unable to start for 10 mins or so. Definitely needs sorting.