Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by RichardW »

myglaren wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:47 Image

I forget the exact blurb but a suffragette lady had this built for her in 1906.
Lady Florence Norman: https://mashable.com/2015/06/15/1916-su ... urope=true

Looks suspiciously like it's ICE to me though..... :-D

Edit...Wiki says 155cc 4 stroke, I assumed it was a 2-stroke....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoped
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The blurb I read claimed it was electric.

A single white Tesla 3.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A lone black Tesla S
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Renault Zoe White , 2 Hyundai Konas Red, Hyundai IoniQ Blue, BMW I3 Black and white, and leafs and Tesla Model 3's a plenty, no stand out colours.

But this one was the spot, and chat of the day. Very impressed with the Polestar 2, the couple from Sheffield enthused about the car, and I even overlooked it being sort of grey. They got it in preference to a TESLA, and the Polestar 2 was their first electric car, and took advantage of the various Company car incentives to go electric.

Here it is
Polestar 2 ...Excellent!
Polestar 2 ...Excellent!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Quite a few Hyundai;s, TEsla's and Leafs plus VW ID3's becoming a more common sight. Best Pic of the day though was this Renault Zoe at DGC (Dunbar Garden Centre) with ASDA in the Background, and the Pine Marten (Marstons) with its Osprey Charger just out of pic.

Yes right off the AI at Dunbar, well its not Dunbar its anonymous retail park with an excellent view of the Cement Works and Torness but a decent enough watering hole for charging up.

The Zoe was a ZE50
DSC00023.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One lone Leaf, and I did try and keep an eye out when I remembered.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Out hunting for a new van for my mate today and came across two green tagged cars:
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 29 May 2021, 17:30 came across two green tagged cars:

You are leaving it a bit late to get over to Porto Mick :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 May 2021, 17:56
You are leaving it a bit late to get over to Porto Mick :-D

REgards Neil
Sadly I'm having to settle for the armchair view but I'm ready!!! :-D
Own work!!
Own work!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Jaguar iPace on the A66, passed me rapidly in a 50mph section. The only electric seen today.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Definitely an i-Pace.

Also 2 Polestar 2s in the last 2 days, pretty sure they were different, one yesterday I'm sure was white, but I didn't really know what I was looking at, then another one today that was Flat Grey. Got to ask why anyone would fork out over 40 grand for a car that looks like it is still in primer!!!
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

RichardW wrote: 31 May 2021, 16:30 Got to ask why anyone would fork out over 40 grand for a car that looks like it is still in primer!!!
Looks like at least 2 have, unless my charging buddy from Sheffield is on a Scottish Tour :-D
Grey Primer Polestar 2!
Grey Primer Polestar 2!
My spots, on a zero miles bank holiday Monday so far, are a black Nissan Leaf in the less interesting more normal format, rather than the more interesting classic format.

Did mistakenly engage in a conversation with a Hyundai Kona owner with an exhaust pipe. He mentioned the ridiculous differential between a Kona Electric and a Kona ICE (he quoted £38,000 opposed to £28,000*), which is why he plumped for the ICE (his car was 20 Reg). Didn't have a counter argument, although I did say if he shopped around he could probably have got a better deal on the Electric one. Maybe the Kona salesman wanted, or was under instruction, to get rid of the ICE model and had done a bid of discounting.

Haven't checked the figures out but it wouldn't surprise me. There is a straight jacket of pricing which none of the manufacturers want to break out of and its about £8k to £10k too high for the 100% BEV across all categories from city car to mid range family cars, to high end prestige models. Higher volume production and competition needs to change this around and bring the prices down to parity with ICE.

( * beware of the general public they can exaggerate)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

A white Tesla S
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 31 May 2021, 17:19
Did mistakenly engage in a conversation with a Hyundai Kona owner with an exhaust pipe. He mentioned the ridiculous differential between a Kona Electric and a Kona ICE (he quoted £38,000 opposed to £28,000......

Haven't checked the figures out but it wouldn't surprise me. There is a straight jacket of pricing which none of the manufacturers want to break out of and its about £8k to £10k too high for the 100% BEV across all categories from city car to mid range family cars, to high end prestige models. Higher volume production and competition needs to change this around and bring the prices down to parity with ICE.
I'm not so sure that bringing down the price of BEVs at the moment is a good idea for the long term survivability of the major car manufacturers. They need the ongoing on-costs a lot of motorists pay with their cars. The main dealer servicing and the genuine parts are all a necessary income stream to keep the manufacturers balance sheets healthy - or at least keep them less alarming. They all help to keep the dealer network limping along. There's less scope for things to go wrong or servicing needs with the BEVs so there's a risk the main dealer income stream will start to dwindle in a few years time once more BEVs are sold. How long before there's a major exposé on the 'scam' of main dealer BEV servicing and they have to radically reduce BEV servicing costs ? Far better to keep selling as many ICE cars as you can to keep the new car servicing going for as long as possible.

( * beware of the general public they can exaggerate)
I'd shorten that to: "Beware of the general public" :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

My member of the general public wasn't far out :-D Top Spec ICE KONA vs Top Spec EV KONA his answer was in the right area :-D

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19#p687319

You can easily see why automakers with ICE and EV aren't voting for a quick transition, and current high EV prices are an advantage to sell existing ICE, and making a profit contribution out of EV sales. The transition will not happen with just EV only manufacturers, but needs the big players of the legacy auto industry to embrace the change. VW appear to be placing themselves in Position A in that group.

The servicing revenue stream, the reducing need for engine oil, and exhausts, pads and disks, is just an element of servicing which will be no longer needed. The servicing side will not be a cliff edge change, the pie chart of national fleets will be dominated by ICE for many years. Even in Norway with its take up of EV's, the slice is currently 80% ICE, and it takes many years of 50% and higher new EV sales to change the chart to predominantly EV.

The EV has pretty much the same running gear as an ICE car. Yes the servicing dept don't need to do exhaust and oil change jobs so they lose that. Yes but they have to do that really difficult job.....we need to do a "state of health scan"....two minutes later £100 appears on the bill, much easier than struggling with an exhaust. Then the up sell looks like your software isn't up to date . Would you like the latest download from (fill in the manufacturer)? £150 for that. etc etc.

If anyone watched the "flap on the BMW I3 Rex" video....easy as pie to generate huge bills for something apparently trivial.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 56#p687156

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey