Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 14:54 Bit more on the Aptera.

Aptera solar electric car with ‘1,000 miles’ of range gets $4M in backing, more than 7,000 preorders

The pricing as quoted by electrek translates more as niche and premium than affordable and high volume.
Its USP is of course its lightweight and tiny drag coefficient (Cd) of only 0.13. The annoying thing about the expected pricing are the add ons.....so that you hit over $44,900 before you get the 1000 mile range.

A final version of the alpha vehicle before they move on the the Beta testing.
https://www.aptera.us/news
https://www.aptera.us/news
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Polestar 2 has appeared on the thread back in Aug/Sept 2020 when the "press" got a hold of them to do some reviews. Many pondered it as a significant Tesla rival.

Well in the flesh today this Polestar 2 at the Charging stations of Northumberland, in the flesh, and a couple of very satisfied with their choice first time EV..ers. Considered a Tesla but went for the Polestar.
Yorkshire couple choose Polestar over Tesla
Yorkshire couple choose Polestar over Tesla
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

On the way from SEAT's Sporting brand.

UK pricing will be announced in the autumn with deliveries starting at the beginning of 2022,

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Ford are trying!!:

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 25 May 2021, 15:47 Ford are trying!!:
Mustang has been pretty well received. The biggest seller of them all and for decade after decade, the F150 Pick Up has also a fully electric version now, the Ford F150 Lightning, unveiled on May 19, 2021.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Bit of a minor story.

Tesla fined in Norway over battery issues

"A court in Norway has fined Tesla after a software update issued in 2019 slowed down battery charging speeds and affected the number of miles some of its vehicles could travel between charges.
The case was brought by 30 customers, reports Norwegian news platform Nettavisen.
The fine amounts to 136,000 Norwegian Krone (£11,500) for each complainant."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57232252

"In 2016, Tesla made out-of-court settlements with 126 customers in Norway who said their vehicles did not match up to the claims made by the firm in its marketing material, reported Reuters."
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 25 May 2021, 18:39 Bit of a minor story.

Tesla fined in Norway over battery issues
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57232252
Same story posted today on Electrek got so far 552 comments. May well grow particularly in the land of litigation.
https://electrek.co/2021/05/24/tesla-fo ... ds-owners/

On top of the range loss, the DC fast-charging rate at Supercharger stations has also been reduced. Affected owners are seeing much slower charging sessions.

When Electrek reported on the issue, Tesla told us that the goal of the update is to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity,” and it resulted in a range loss for only “a small percentage of owners.”
As "Rapid Chargers" get more and more powerful just to satisfy the need for quicker recharge times on the road, in my comparative blissful ignorance, I suspect that will stress the lithium ion battery and its longevity, no matter how clever the temperature management is. Probably not a clever software update, simple throttling back of the charge and a technique applied by both GM and Hyundai recently in an attempt to "solve" battery fire risk. Hyundai settled with LG Energy Solutions, and initiated a full replacement battery program, GM didn't and may well fall foul of similar litigation.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Have to say, in spite of its retro cuteness, I am not that impressed with this. It has been painfully slow in its development, and after a year since the last release of a launch video we have a 29 second vid released on youtube by the company of a totally unimpressive "drive" out of a car park.

It's in "proper car" as opposed to quadricyle territory but not by that much. Hits 56mph and purported range of 124 miles, and its expensive (€12,000) for what it is. Clearly they want to hit a niche young "cool market", and its picked up in the electric centric media. Obviously I'm not the target market but I'm all for a bit of variety in electric offerings. Who knows it might achieve cult status and sell millions.

Story here
https://electrek.co/2021/05/27/watch-as ... new-video/

Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 06 Jun 2021, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A question for those that know about such things........

One of my more mature customers is looking to buy a nearly new car. She's interested in a BEV or hybrid, but really wants something with an absolute minimum of 200 miles real world range. The thought of having to find a vacant recharging point whilst she's away and her available range is diminishing holds no joy for her - it really doesn't ! Honestly....... it doesn't :-)
She's traditionally owned 'German' cars, but recently had experience of a Toyota Pious and thought it good. What mid size and smaller car should she look at, or more importantly - avoid ?
Over to m'learned colleagues :-)
NewcastleFalcon

First thoughts

Dont think it meets all of the requirements, probably gets 150 miles of range, but the MGZS EV undoubtedly is the best vfm EV either second hand or New. Speak to any owner of the MG and they are in my experience very enthusiastic and happy with the car. I think the genuine 200 miles on a nearly new EV would be in a fairly high second hand price bracket. The KIA e-Niro does the range requirement easily, and at the lowest price along with the Hyundai Kona.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 28 May 2021, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Price isn't necessarily an issue, but perceived quality and image are :-D I'll mention the MG to her, but might have to explain that they're not made in the UK anymore :wink:
NewcastleFalcon

Octopus have a tentacle dealing with leasing of new ev's/salary sacrifice schemes etc. I would say if your customer is pre-disposed to like the german offerings the VW ID3 is going to be one of the major EV sellers, and shopping around I am sure that a deal for a new one, could easily hit the £/month she would be comfortable with and bit of no worry no risk motoring hand it back after 3 years, get another one on a similar deal.

Salary sacrifice does screw the net cost down even further by a margin and the cheapest way to acquire a new EV.

Heres a bit of a look at at range of vehicles Octopus cover and indicative prices. Business and salary sacrifice customers only

https://www.octopusev.com/cars

Edit....Business and salary sacrifice customers only at the current time
Website says "Due to popularity, we have currently paused quoting for personal leases."

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Not sure about the EV's from China, there seems to b a bit of concern about anti-corrosion treatments, or lack of, and if you freind is looking ofr something to last then cheap is probably not the answer.
Kona, e-Niro, or Ioniq as the Koreans seem to have the range sorted. However, I have seen a video of the e-Niro being used as a Taxi at 50,000 miles and both bolsters on the drivers seat had collasped.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
NewcastleFalcon

MG were first to offer a 7-year/80,000 Warranty, and KIA across the whole range now offer a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Whether warranties are worth the paper they are printed on is another matter, but useful for the "overcoming the objections" element of selling.

The Chinese Auto industry has had the benefit of 50/50 ventures with every major manufacturer in the world, and its own carmakers are some of the biggest in the world but largely unheard of by the general public outside of China. SAIC Motor (MG Brand), Geely (Volvo,Polestar,Lotus, London Electric Vehicle Company), BYD, Dongfeng Motor Corporation, Changan Automobile, and FAW Group. Then at the top end of the market, there is NIO a serious TESLA Rival not just in China, but already in Europe and expanding.

I think any Chinese made car arriving in Europe, has a more than fair chance of being as good as or more likely better than anything the Europeans or Americans are producing. I fully expect some more brand acquisitions and maybe more manufacturing in Europe from the Chinese Auto industry expanding globally. If you buy a TESLA in the UK its as likely to come from Shanghai as the USA. Similarly with some other European manufacturers, including the British as Bratwurst BMW Mini Electric with plans for manufacture in China.

The MGZS EV also gets a 5 Star Euro NCAP rating, another overcome the objections plus point.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sloppysod wrote: 29 May 2021, 23:51 Not sure about the EV's from China, there seems to b a bit of concern about anti-corrosion treatments, or lack of, and if you freind is looking ofr something to last then cheap is probably not the answer.
Kona, e-Niro, or Ioniq as the Koreans seem to have the range sorted. However, I have seen a video of the e-Niro being used as a Taxi at 50,000 miles and both bolsters on the drivers seat had collasped.
That's mainly due to the bulk of the driver, Sumo wrestler sizes, male and female, wreck seats in a very short time also the guy who hangs his keys from his back pocket does a lot of seat damage.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.