Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Water and antifreeze, some jokers left the antifreeze out when they auctioned off the bangers. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

I would never have guessed. So, it shouldn't freeze, and it shouldn't corrode, unless . . .
A real cheap A-R/Leyland solution!
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

white exec wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 19:36 I would never have guessed. So, it shouldn't freeze, and it shouldn't corrode, unless . . .
A real cheap A-R/Leyland solution!
Detailed recipe for Hydrolastic fluid documented as part of the Pickled Egg Quiz just yesterday

all is revealed here, and follow on posts.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 01#p683201

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Just read that, and mugged up on Hydrolastic and Hydragas on wikipedia.
Good old A-R/Leyland costcutting had a good run!

Another example was P6's innovative DeDion rear suspension, which was nearly axed as it apparently cost £10 more than a conventional layout.
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the Wolsely 1800 was the best version.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

One for Peter that might bring back some memories

H&H Auctions think they will get £12,000 to £14,000 for it at their Auction later in the month (Imperial War Museum Duxford, Wed, 26th May 2021)

Full listing with more pictures here
https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/14- ... ?lot=52511

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I had the two previous 'E' models but not that one, it has a different grill. It was only made for about a year, my newest one was a '56, that is a '57, in late '57 the PA came out, I had one of those.

Peter
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

When I was a kid (so in the early 50’s) my Dad helped a mate out by picking up a used car for him and driving it home, I went along for the ride.
I think this was a Standard of some sort but may be wrong. Anyway, the car was a manual but with only two pedals. The clutch and brake were both worked by one pedal, you had to push the pedal through the clutch to operate the brake🤷. We had an entertaining journey home when my Dad kept forgetting and pushed too far and we headed for the window screen.

Has anyone else come across this clever😂 system, if so was I right in it being a Standard?

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't remember those, I do remember back peddling brakes on bikes that could have you over the handlebars if you weren't thinking about what you were doing. My uncle has a Riley with a Wilson preselector gearbox, that only had two pedals. I think the Ford model 'T' had some sort of strange pedal arrangement.

Peter
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

the model T used 3 pedals and a column throttle. the pedal positions were also changed around as production went on! just to add to the confusion. One of the pedals changed the gears! One was a clutch. One was a brake. Just tread carefully!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

momag46 wrote: 15 May 2021, 12:00 When I was a kid (so in the early 50’s) my Dad helped a mate out by picking up a used car for him and driving it home, I went along for the ride.
I think this was a Standard of some sort but may be wrong. Anyway, the car was a manual but with only two pedals. The clutch and brake were both worked by one pedal, you had to push the pedal through the clutch to operate the brake🤷. We had an entertaining journey home when my Dad kept forgetting and pushed too far and we headed for the window screen.

Has anyone else come across this clever😂 system, if so was I right in it being a Standard?

Maurice
can't think what this might be on but a "modern" hand operated disability set up I have seen did just this via a push pull lever on a manual Viva HC a customer of mine had.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I seem to remember a Hillman Minx from the '50s, 'easy drive' I think it was called, it had button on the gear lever which when you grabbed the lever declutched it for you, whether it was a centrifugal clutch for pulling away I don't remember but I think it must have been.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

momag46 wrote: 15 May 2021, 12:00 When I was a kid (so in the early 50’s) my Dad helped a mate out by picking up a used car for him and driving it home, I went along for the ride.

Maurice
Maurice your recall was absolutely right. Oldclassiccar has a feature on it here
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
momag46
(Donor 2020)

Post by momag46 »

Thanks Neil, I’ve never had anyone believe me when I told this story so I stopped saying anything. You’ve made an old man happy, not easy these days😄

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote: 15 May 2021, 21:16 I seem to remember a Hillman Minx from the '50s, 'easy drive' I think it was called, it had button on the gear lever which when you grabbed the lever declutched it for you, whether it was a centrifugal clutch for pulling away I don't remember but I think it must have been.

Peter
The Easy drive had a magnetic powder instead of a clutch, pretty well just iron filings that set hard when electrified and dust when not all controlled with a box full of relays.

They were a nightmare to work on because each of the relays had four sets of contacts and there were a lot of relays.

When I moved jobs from the Rootes dealer to a local garage the boss there had taken a no-runner part exchange, I had a go at it but it wasn't fixable so off to the breakers and a flywheel, clutch, propshaft and all the rest bought for £20 and the Easydrive became a manual. :-D

Ps. I do wonder if with modern electronics it might work.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.