Public and Commercial Transport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Public and Commercial Transport

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I believe Dennis along with the other 3 odd companies have been struggling - but I couldn't justify that decision on price alone. We are just making it worse for ourselves in future when there won't be any British companies to turn to and then the Chinese get a bigger foothold than they already have - very worrying.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I agree that directly importing buses/cars etc etc does nothing for manufacturing in the UK. Arrival have an interesting model of Microfactories (still of a decent size) to manufacture their products in the market place they sell them in. They are a growing "brand" with plenty of backing and investment. Yes they may not have been able to match delivery time and price with the "Cardiff" or indeed the "Newport" purchase. Plenty cities/bus co's around the UK with contracts with Alexander Dennis for EV Buses, happening or in the pipeline. They should be well placed for a resurgence.

The Alexander Dennis model does involve a considerable BYD presence, and the reality is you buy an Alexander Dennis EV Bus and you get a BYD , but at least its assembled in the UK :-D
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Washington DC/New York/Paris Scooter Sharing Service from Lime

The electric scooters are rented by the minute. Pricing for rentals in Washington DC has been $0.39 per minute since rollout, plus $1 to unlock the scooter.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

More Arrival.....Its 20 minutes, but I like to find out about UK companies going places and doing well.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Another EV Start up entering the commercial transport marketplace. It has a presence in London, Sweden, France but its ambitions are global, and plans to secure manufacturing sites appear to be putting Barcelona in position A for the first manufacturing location for the Volta Zero.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Air transport news

Harbour Air, magniX and H55 Partner for The World’s First Certified All Electric Commercial Airplane

https://www.harbourair.com/harbour-air- ... -airplane/
Harbour Air’s seaplanes are to be transformed into an all-electric commercial fleet.

Harbour Air is North America’s largest seaplane airline —and the first to be fully carbon-neutral.

Vancouver, B.C., Everett, WA, and Sion, Switzerland – April 20, 2021 – Harbour Air, North America’s largest seaplane airline; magniX the company powering the electric aviation revolution; and H55, the spin off from Solar Impulse, producing highly efficient certified battery packs, announced a partnership to certify the world’s first electric Beaver (eBeaver) commuter airplane through a supplemental type certificate (STC) program.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:31
I have been thinking about BEV HGVs. I think the best way for these to work is for a major company to get involved, leasing and swapping over battery packs. There is virtually no way to charge a large enough battery system for HGVs (not if you want a decent range and load capacity) within a workable period of time (relevant to the haulage companies). However, if battery packs could be standardised (not unlike the AA, AAA, C and D batteries) and made easy to swap out, then a lorry could pull into the 'battery service' station, their depleted battery would be dropped out, a fresh one would be bolted back in, the lorry would head out and the battery pack would be put on a charge (which would NOT be a 'blast it in' charge, to preserve the life of the battery pack). The battery packs are going to be heavy (easily a couple of tons), and the chargers are going to need to handle hundreds of watts, but if it was done properly it could work (I understand there will be other things to take into account, but it is possible).
They have nicked the idea over in Australia :-D 3 minutes swap in swap out aimed for :-D

Guardian 28th April 2021: Swap and go: electric trucks to run between Sydney and Brisbane using exchangeable batteries

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Truck battery swap in moving pictures

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Interesting contribution on Jeremy Vine yesterday, on the "Great British Railways" announcement.

There are of course lots of companies, running about "operating" the service, having bid a price inc profit for the privilege of doing so, and then bail out, get sacked, or ask for more. So just a few examples of those who win the contracts.

Bit of Irony in "Great British Railways", in its public facing form ie liveries of locomotives on the track, is being "operated" by a mix of fully state owned companies. or partially state owned companies from the land of the level playing field.

Arriva (Deutches Bahn owned by the German State)
Govia owned 21% By the French State/9% by a Canadian investment group
Avanti owned 30% owned by the Italian State
Abellio owned By the Dutch State
NTR owned by a Hong Kong Company

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I think Daimler are pitching it right at the same time as coming up with at least four very usable battery electric commercial vehicles, from trucks to school buses to delivery vans they are also progressing an H2 route for long distance haulage as reported on our Hydrogen Thread
May 19, 2021 - Daimler Trucks is focusing on hydrogen-powered fuel-cells for the electrification of its vehicles for flexible and demanding long-haul transport. It aims to achieve ranges of up to 1,000 kilometres and more without any stops for refuelling. In late April, the truck manufacturer began to conduct rigorous tests of the first new enhanced prototype of its Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck, which was unveiled in 2020. This marks an important milestone on the path to series production.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Where's this then and what's it about :?: It is a first for the United Kingdom.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Gorra be to do with this Neil.
[https://www.cenex-lcv.co.uk/supporting- ... ber%202021] [/url]
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 May 2021, 09:17 Gorra be to do with this Neil.
[https://www.cenex-lcv.co.uk/supporting- ... ber%202021] [/url]
Yes they are involved. Not that earth-shattering a start couple of miles mostly on a university campus for the trial.

Coventry Firm Aurrigo secures UK first as Auto-Shuttle takes to the road in Cambridge

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There had been an attempt to produce an atomic powered bus, but it did not work out as well as hoped;
Spoiler: show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bus
I know, it should have been in the "Funny videos" thread, but it 'fitted' too well here!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!