Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Good Energy to offer electric vehicle drivers free electricity

Energy Infrastructure for the domestic customer is very much moving towards

Smart Meter/Smart Charger/Smart Phone and yes Smart car (who coined the term smart....it now has a life of its own)

...and that allows things like this Good Energy/Zap Map marketing tool
https://group.goodenergy.co.uk/reportin ... fault.aspx

New ‘flash’ tariff will contain weekly periods when charging is free

Clean power company Good Energy, in partnership with Zap-Map, is launching a new tariff this week which offers electric vehicle drivers the opportunity to power their home, or charge their car, for free.

The tariff will include ‘flash’ windows based on periods when Britain is generating an abundance of solar and wind power. When this happens, the tariff will alert drivers to a four-hour window when charging their vehicle will come at no extra cost, and entirely backed by Good Energy’s 100% renewable electricity supply.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Largest floating tidal turbine on the way to Orkney, launched from Dundee

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

In many areas the Danes punch far in excess of their weight. Ørsted are a case in point, a global clean energy giant.

Danish clean energy giant Ørsted has just completed its very first utility-scale solar plus battery storage project, and it’s in the US. Its Permian Energy Center project, a 460 MW solar and 40 MW battery storage facility, is in Andrews County, Texas.

"Texans are still digging black stuff out of the ground while foreign companies are coming in and capturing limitless sun and wind." was one of the comments.

https://electrek.co/2021/05/04/orsted-i ... ity-scale/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Critics of the 'black stuff out of the ground' might like to consider what comes out of that black stuff besides fuel.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Agreed. It is not just road fuel that comes from crude oil in the same way that some coal is needed as an ingredient in good quality steel. It shouldn't be an all or nothing argument. A balance needs to be struck. That huge tidal generator dwarfed the coverage of another tidal generator that went up to the Islands Testing grounds at the same time. It took the energy from the swells at sea using a floating bending knee device to capture surface wave energy with out any fish or dolphin damaging blades.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:02 Critics of the 'black stuff out of the ground' might like to consider what comes out of that black stuff besides fuel.
Happy for listings to be compiled, charts to be produced.

Regardless of views on pollution/climate change if burning oil and gas for transport/domestic and commercial heating can be replaced with cleaner alternatives, then I am happy for the reliance on the black stuff to be reduced where it can, and consequently less of this cycle.
drilling/pumping/piping/tankering by sea or road/refining/piping/pumping/more tankering by sea or road/storing/dispensing/burning/exhausted to the atmosphere/breathed-in/used up
then return to the beginning again with exploration/drilling etc to find more.
Undoubtedly the world economy since the first industrialisation of oil production in Pennsylvania has developed fuelled by oil and the various products, paints/plastics/transport fuel/heating fuel etc etc. If anyone can find a nice pie chart, saves a lot of words about how many billion barrels of oil are produced on a daily/ yearly basis and what products it is used for. Probably have to go back to pre 1919 (oops!) 2019 to get the "normal" picture.

Materials science always advances, or maybe even regresses occasionally like going back from Polystyrene cups to cardboard ones and from plastic bags to paper bags. Some of the previous "essentials" of the black stuff by products may not turn out to be so essential after all.

Regards Neil

Pennsylvania in the 1800's when Barrels of Oil were Barrels of Oil :-D
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 May 2021, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Dormouse wrote: 05 May 2021, 10:15 It took the energy from the swells at sea using a floating bending knee device to capture surface wave energy with out any fish or dolphin damaging blades.
This is the thread that mops up those kind of stories...I hadn't heard of that particular one or seen it reported, but have featured the seabed turbines and the large floating turbine vessel fairly recently. If you have a link post it up.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

This chart shows the proportions of product from a barrel of oil's energy content:
BFTW
BFTW
Further information can be found at:

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia ... rel_of_oil
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Sadly it is very easy to drown yourself in available pie charts for the oil industry so you can pick the appropriate ones for any argument you may be promoting at the time.Take your pick from these :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Your pie charting is appreciated Mick :-D .

I think it shows that how refining of the crude oil feedstock is set up at the moment, it is majorly set up to provide transport fuels for aviation/shipping/and road transport, with residual portions produced for chemicals etc.

The mix of products produced by the oil companies, will change. Petrol and diesel unless they do a "great job" of marketing and supply to developing countries, are on a steep decline.

So the pressure will be on making different products from their crude which they have invested in finding and extracting. Maybe more will be devoted to making chemical feedstocks that the onward industrial customers need for plastics/pharmaceuticals./textiles/paints etc.

On the horizon though competition from non-oil based synthesis.
Can the world make the chemicals it needs without oil :?:

The answer is almost certainly yes, but not right now on an industrial scale, and not as cheaply.
The Black Stuff is not going to become redundant very quickly, but it's use in road fuels will be the first to go. Of course the new zero-emission, no tail-pipe pollution on-the-road world, will still require a bit of the black stuff to surface the roads :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

"The Black Stuff is not going to become redundant very quickly, but it's use in road fuels will be the first to go. Of course the new zero-emission, no tail-pipe pollution on-the-road world, will still require a bit of the black stuff to surface the roads :-D"

So what happens to the stuff they stop using, do we have a problem with where to put the Gasoline and heavy oils?
And will the disposal of that waste increase the cost of everything else that comes out of the ground to an unaffordable level?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I would guess that it would be possible to polymerise the lighter fractions to give a heavy sludge for road use.

Of course, this is the direct opposite of the current situation where the heavy hydrocarbons are cracked to give lighter distillates!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Don't forget though that as we transcend from current road and rail land transport through hovercraft to teleportation the need for the blackstuff will diminish anyway. We could simply pave the way with crushed fruit and then stop off for a quick snack anytime we wanted. It would of course mean carrying one's own custard or cream as you choose but we would have a renewable surface to work with!! :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I like the idea of driving on crushed cherry pits and walnut shells.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-56846859
Mocean Blue X. Went up to Orkney about the same time as the giant twin bladed dolphin slicer.
The Blue X is a battery storage system but the next size up is grid connectable. About to undergo sea trials.