DS5 Brake Judder

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zipdip

DS5 Brake Judder

Post by zipdip »

Hi all
Well this 2l hdi DS5 has now had two sets of front brake discs,in all my driving years I have only ever fitted one set on the various cars I have owned,I have never been hard on brakes,well once again I am getting brake judder when the brakes are getting hot,did a round trip of 200 miles at the weekend,with a fully loaded car and slowing for roundabouts was a nightmare,with the steering wheel waggling all over the place.
I have inspected the discs and there is no blue hot spots and the disc is shiny,there is no judder when the brakes are cold,these discs are large 330 mm and not cheap plus I pay a mechanic to fit them as I can no longer bend down and do the job myself,.
What discs would you use and what pads,this happening is spoiling my ownership of this car,I am willing to try once more after that it is PX at a local garage with the brakes cold.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: DS5 Brake Judder

Post by Dormouse »

Sounds to me like glazed pad material. Are you a careful, plan ahead driver who uses brakes softly and as gently as you can?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well for a start they are not the right size!

They should be 340 mm.

Why don't you just book it in at Citroen - You can have the front discs and pads done for £199 or £279 depending on if you want OEM parts or Citroen Approved cheaper alternatives. Includes VAT and Labour and a Health check and 2 years warranty on approved parts and labour.....

Your mechanic has obviously used incorrect discs - but did you also have new pads fitted? That is essential when replacing the discs or you will cause uneven wearing of the new discs and then you'll be back to square one with juddering....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Yes you are right they are 340mm fitted and yes new pads were fitted,in answer to Doormouse yes I do brake gently,do you think the pads are glazed ?so is the only answer to have more disc s and pads fitted?
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Would you mind if I PM you ( or try to as my level of permissions isn't high) Some of the things I know work will only bring me howls of derision from others. I have several years of competion car building and servicing and have spent a lot of time on extracting reliable brake performance. cheers.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Most people think big expensive competition brake parts for a "competition" car when in fact it is about achieving stable, predictable performance over the range of use the car gets. Not necessarily the same thing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You shouldn't have any issues on sending a PM :wink: Just click the speech bubble in the OP's profile to the left of the relevant post and it will provide the PM link or email link for you with a copy of the post already completed.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Note for newer members:- when you send a Private Message using the Forum, the messages stay in the OUTBOX until they are actually opened by the recipient - it does not mean they have not been sent.

Once they have been opened by the recipient, they then move into the sent folder.

Marc