Citroen C5 NG4 Navidrive Not Working

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Arokh
My Cars: Citroen C5

Citroen C5 NG4 Navidrive Not Working

Post by Arokh »

Hi,
The NG4 navigation/radio thing on my car won't turn on anymore. It only lights up for a second. I tried placing a CD in it and it went in without any problems but now it's stuck inside. Lexia diagnosis couldn't get any response from it. The car is a Citroen C5 from 2010. Any idea on what might be wrong?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Citroen C5 NG4 Navidrive Not Working

Post by vborovic »

I'm guessing you've already tried holding the eject button before starting the car, to see whether or not it will eject the CD? If it won't come out that way, the second order of business would be to take the entire unit out, dismantle it, and remove the present CD (hopefully without breaking anything) ... and then try whether or not it will work on ignition ...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

vborovic wrote:I'm guessing you've already tried holding the eject button before starting the car

:twisted:
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Very funny Steve ... :D ... no, seriously ... :P ... of course, I meant the eject button on the NG4 unit ... hopefully the car isn't over-equipped to actually have an ejector seat installed ... :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What are you two like?.. :lol:

Arok - When you had Diagbox on the system did it detect the unit in the Global Test? If it did, you should be able to interrogate the unit and run some actuator tests on either the Audio, Other or Configuration functions. Does the unit power on at all?
Failing this try a system reset - press in buttons 1, 3 & 5 at the same time until it beeps. That should reset it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Arokh

Post by Arokh »

The unit is detected but the actual tests don't give any response. It doesn't power on at all but the lights sometime come on if you press different buttons and the CD mechanism worked fine when I placed a CD in it. The LCD display never turns on.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Did you try the reset procedure?

Marc
Arokh

Post by Arokh »

I tried the reset procedure and it didn't work. I think the problem might be related to the HDD.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just to be clear (as some people do get confused between the units) is this the system you have ignoring the colours of course?
92CB5543-3166-4FAE-9011-20988442399F.png
If this is your unit you can try this reset which should not loose any information:
Hold the round-shaped volume / mute button (to the left of the large dial in the middle) AND the CD Eject button in together for at least 15 seconds. That should cause the unit to reset.

Failing this, if you suspect it is the hard drive, you'll need a set of these horizontal head unit removal keys to slide the head unit out - cheap enough at just over a £:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-132-Ford- ... SruX2CG--Q
Once you have these engaged (with the rounded side facing inwards towards the unit) is should slide out. You don't need to take it completely out, but on the left hand side, you will see the Hard Drive retaining screw.
undo this and you can gently use a flat head screwdriver under the flap to ease the drive bay out on its guides. To remove the actual drive off the mounting, there should be 4 screws holding it on. Be aware these will easily get threaded if you don't have the right sized head.

The only issue you have now is what to do with the drive - it is a 40Gb drive, but that's all I can tell you. I've heard others saying that it can be cloned, but you need special software to do this (Norton Ghost was one). I can't help you further than this as I've never had any issues with my NG4 system. One tip, though, if you ever do get it back up and working, I would steer clear of using the Jukebox function on the Hard Drive to store music etc. There really isn't any need with a high capacity SD card that you can insert on the front of the unit, as you can get far more music on this. I currently use a 32Gb SD card and it works great. The reason I say this is that the Hard drive contains the system settings, GPS navigation mapping data, address book etc.. There is only 10Gb left for customers use for music copying etc. The less disk activity the unit has to make, the better, especially in a moving vehicle with the state of today's roads :evil: . All you need to do is go over a mega pothole when the drive is reading and there you go!! :shock:

Best of luck.

Marc
Stratoblaster
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 2010 3.0 V6

Post by Stratoblaster »

GiveMeABreak, you say that you can use the SD-card slot for listening MP3- music files? Somehow I can’t do that? The system does not show the SD-card as a media. The card itself is ok because it works fine when used in my boat multimedia player. Also the C5 sees when I attach a 2,5” HD through USB and plays MP3 s fine.

What might be the problem?

Cheers,

Strat
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, the SD card slot at the bottom front of the Head unit is specifically for playing media files - but they must be in the correct format.

Make sure you are using a normal SD card formatted with FAT32 (I used a 32Gb card). MP3s need to be between a speed of 8 Kbps and 320 Kbps and WMA need to be a speed between 5Kbps to 384 Kbps. Variable bit rates are supported, but you can't play MP4 or apple music files without converting them to MP3 first of all. You also need to remove the USB device from the centre arm rest as it can't accept 2 sources of external media files at once.

It is always best to insert the SD card BEFORE you start the ignition and the same with ejecting it.

Marc