A to Z of Cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: A to Z of Cars

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Second of my proposed 3 double-U's today.

2017 Last time I spotted one of these. Yet another gorgeous shape in my humble. Wonder which car giant has accumulated the NSU brand and its drawings for it, they could do worse than dust them off and bring out a retro electric version.

So as the picture states, the feeble reason for putting it in the "W"'s comfortably passes the no rules/no refereeing threshold for the thread :-D
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of my dad's workmates had one.
The only thing I recall is that it turned to rust in no time flat.
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 17:14 Wonder which car giant has accumulated the NSU brand and its drawings for it, they could do worse than dust them off and bring out a retro electric version.
Unsurprisingly is Volkswagen Group, and its Audi wing...
the company was taken over by Volkswagenwerk AG, which merged NSU with Auto Union, the owners of the Audi brand which Volkswagen had acquired five years earlier. The new company was called Audi NSU Auto Union AG and represented the effective end of the NSU marque with all future production to bear the Audi badge (although retaining the four interlocking circles of Auto Union). The management of the new combine was initially based at the Neckarsulm plant, however when the small rear-engined NSU models (Prinz 4, 1000, 1200) were phased out in 1973, the Ro 80 was the last car still in production carrying the NSU badge. Audi never made use of the brand name NSU again after April 1977, when the last Ro 80 was sold.[11] In 1985, the company name was shortened to Audi AG and management moved back to Audi's headquarters in Ingolstadt.
So onto my third "W" to complete the www.

I'll conclude with Great Wall's ORA "Good Cat", as featured here

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Onto X's for me.

Has to be the one that got away and probably the closest I came to buying a new car. Of course still with my bargain basement head on even then, and it was a bit of a shot to nothing as well.

It was in the days of the "personal import" in the early 1980's. New cars on the continent were considerably cheaper than new cars in the UK so I did a bit of research, compiled a file, corresponded with a Belgian Dealer (by letter of course). All pre-internet, so I got the names addresses of a few Belgian Dealers from a visit to the library. As well as having in the reference section all the UK telephone Directories/Yellow Pages, they had them for other countries too. The dealer I plumped for and got responses from was called Descheemaeker . I always like a good name! Not really that it fell through, just another car that I had always fancied came up in an advert in the Evening Chronicle. Thursday's Chronicle was THE place for private sale cars in those days pre ebay, pre gumtree, pre autotrader, although exchange and mart was going strong. So I dropped interest in the XR2 and became the owner of a Lancia Beta Coupe from Alnwick and no doubt dubbed as a time waster by the Descheemaekers of Brugge to this day :-D

and the car a Ford XR2 which had newly come out in Diamond white sporting some nice pepperpots!
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

T

Tjorven
Tjorven
Tjorven
Otherwise known as Kalmar Tjorven. Somewhat disingenuous although they were built in Kalmar.
The vehicle has an interesting antecedent.

The snickare* at my workplace at the time had one so he was always known as Tjorven, I thought that it was his name.

* joiner; his name was Karl Johansson.
I worked with his daughter but wasn't aware that she was for about a year.
She is Marie Espeus (adopted name) and became a Vogue photographer and has her own gallery in Spain now.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I learned to drive in an Austin A40 van, I briefly had an Austin A70 which I didn't like much, finally an Austin A55 Farina diesel which my wife drove.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:25 I learned to drive in an Austin A40 van, I briefly had an Austin A70 which I didn't like much, finally an Austin A55 Farina diesel which my wife drove.

Peter
That's your A's covered Peter so what's your B for :?: :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 17:32
Peter.N. wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:25 I learned to drive in an Austin A40 van, I briefly had an Austin A70 which I didn't like much, finally an Austin A55 Farina diesel which my wife drove.

Peter

Regards Neil
Producing a tiny amount of honey!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 17:33
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 17:32

Peter

Regards Neil
Producing a tiny amount of honey!
Saw this a few days ago:
1617385537132.png
The beekeeper forgot to put the rack in and the bees built their own 'combs' with elaborate airflow channels.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

How about Bedford. This is our Bedford minibus used to transport TV's as when we started colour we could only get about two in the Morris 1000 van. We later had a CF for our aerial rigger who also did collection's and deliveries for us.
Attachments
ca van.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 23:09 How about Bedford.

That will do nicely Peter and I know for a fact that a "C" should be easy enough to drag up for you.
You could chose one of you favourite French cars, or indeed one of Luton's finest. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Y for me today, so with the the lack of rules anything with a "Y" in it somewhere is going to be my selection.

So lets see what there might be.

The first ToYota I took any notice of

Celica-ta28-1600st
David Marescaux, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Triple Y here A BentleY Y-Reg, and a rather fetching Paint job including Yellow. :-D

Someone paid £34,000 for it at H&H Auctions The Pavilion Gardens Buxton 28th November 2018

I think that's enough barrel scraping to cover my Y's :-D
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 11:08 Y for me today, so with the the lack of rules anything with a "Y" in it somewhere is going to be my selection.

So lets see what there might be.
I think that's enough barrel scraping to cover my Y's :-D
Despite there being no rules Neil, I have to say I'm disappointed in you for that monumental tribute to feebleness!!! :-D
There is at least one current car model that begins with a "Y", and I know someone who has one, and there are two manufacturers listed that I have never heard of!! So Rules or No Rules I feel it is my duty, on behalf of the other contributers, to suggest you can do better than cars with "Y"s somewhere in their names!!! :-D :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

No can do Threadstarters Privilege :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

You are justified in that decision Neil because on a little checking I have just discovered that the model I was referring to was in fact discontinued in 2017 so my stipulation was false! But in order to tidy it up here is an image of the said vehicle which I will include as a suffix to my also no longer produced Yugo!! (The clue is in the paintwork!):
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!