A to Z of Cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: A to Z of Cars

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Only one possibility for my "T"

Triumph GT6 MkIII. Probably the car I was most excited about buying right up until the purchase of the modern day classic now in my stable....the Nissan Leaf. Strangely there is no sarcasm in that statement.

Not without its faults like the king pin shearing into two bits and leaving me with three wheels on my wagon, luckily with out serious consequences, and the bonnet was always a bit rattly, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Its still around somewhere, repainted in red according to the DVLA, but when I had it it was this shade of blue. No decent original photo's to be found, but it was like this...
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

As a first entry in the U category I'll claim 2 points for this entry, one for Ugly and one for Ultima! :-D Another of my old cars which I only had for 5 weeks because I couldn't live with the nose!!:
BFTW Ford Scorpio Ultima
BFTW Ford Scorpio Ultima
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

According to wiki
The new Scorpio (second generation with the nose/mouth) was the first ever Ford design developed entirely using a CAD/CAM computer system

My dad after a reasonably long flirtation with an old low mileage BMW 732, went through a phase of Ford's kicking off with a granada scorpio mk1 hatchback, and a couple of further cosworth engined scorpios. I have no pic but he probably had one of the MK2's before moving back to Vauxhalls. I guess I know what my double V is going to be!

So I need to find a "U" and the rules being non-existent I think I'll dig out an Auto Union
1000S, which I do like the shape of, its three cylinder 2-stroke is a pollution fest, but does sound fun giving it plenty of revs which I have watched on YT on quite a few vids.

This chap from Seattle converted one to electric power. Al Swaghammer, took a bit of finding again couldn't remember his name :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 19:43
So I need to find a "U" and the rules being non-existent I think I'll dig out an Auto Union
1000S, which I do like the shape of, its three cylinder 2-stroke is a pollution fest, but does sound fun giving it plenty of revs which I have watched on YT on quite a few vids.

Regards Neil
Are you sure that's not the product of a love affair between a Morris Minor and a VW Beetle? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

You could well be right, bit of 4CV too

Or Peugeot 203A Coupe

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Onto "V" now. Again only one choice and a double "V" the Vauxhall Vectra.

My longest serving workhorse, which I took over after my mum and dad gave up driving. 160,000 miles, Vauxhall Vectra Elite 1.9 cdti (150) Automatic. PLenty of poke, comfortable, spacious. A good car and served us well.
Had the Auto Box known as an Aisin AF40-6 in GM circles but is the same Aisin TF-80SC also known as (AWF21, AM6, AW6A-EL) in many other makes. It required an expensive rebuild due to water ingress either from floodwater or the cooler in the radiator at 60,000 miles but was still going strong at 200,000 when it had served its purpose, and the deezel was finally returned safely home to be recycled at the Hobson.

This is the transmission oil external cooler which was fitted when the the autobox was rebuilt to by-pass the original cooler in the radiator.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 Apr 2021, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Remembering my "VV"'s significant mileage moment
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 15:05 Still thriving on neglect Fiat's finest in Ellesmere Port's finest with Japan's best 6-speed automatic gearbox running on 140,000 mile old ATF!

Still serving its purpose, three cheers for the old Vectra!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I was so carried away with the aquarium today I almost forgot the V. Thanks for the jog Neil!! :-D

I have had a few V's over the years but two in particular stand out for their rarity value, The first was my first Subaru, the Vivio and the second a more appropriate entry for the FCF, my ZX Volcane. These pictures are from the net of identical trim and colour schemes to my cars:
The Subaru Vivio GLi 4x4
The Subaru Vivio GLi 4x4
Citroen ZX Volcane
Citroen ZX Volcane
NewcastleFalcon

Its "W" day for my A-Z cars and I may go for a triple, a www if you like.

Worth putting them up on a post of their own, just in case it sparks comment or inspires others to put up their own double-u's or any other letter they choose.

This is in the category of cars I liked the look of, regardless of whether anyone agrees, or indeed considers them to be a good car. I like the wheels as well, and had the internet been any good at the time, and the general public took more photos, a photo in the evening with lights on and the Wolseley Badge illuminated in its last incarnation ever, what a joy to behold that would have been.

Here is a flickr link to a picture which has a good but scathing fairly lengthy side-note attached which makes good reading. Click on the pic takes you to the Flickr page and the guff is a scroll down job if you wish to read it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

My W is a car which I was lucky enough to borrow from a friend for a few autotests and it proved an ideal choice winning its class 5 times out of 7 entries and 2 runners-up. The best part was that the owner was not interested in auto testing so I used to collect it on a Saturday morning and play all day until the tests on Sundays. Unfortunately the pictures of that car were lost in my slide disaster so I have plucked one from the internet which is as close as I can find:
BFTW The Westfield 7
BFTW The Westfield 7
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

As I have time today I have decided to complete my A-Z in one sitting. The X threw up a fair number of contenders from my personal ownership list, from a couple of XL's to the Xantia Activa but I have to use the car I think was the best of its type ever made, My XM 2.0i Turbo Exclusive was a fabulous car which I only sold when I was offered the Lancia Delta HF Turbo with 78000 less miles than the XM. The only XM pictures I still have are of my second XM which have already been posted on the FCF so I have been cheeky and stolen a picture of the same colour scheme from the internet:
BFTW Citroen XM 2.0i Turbo Exclusive
BFTW Citroen XM 2.0i Turbo Exclusive
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

My Y comes from a practical joke that I badly wanted to play on SWMBO. Sadly I was unable to find the car I wanted in the time I had but the idea was this.:
When I first met SWMBO she was driving around in a Toyota Yaris which I looked after for 2 years and could have posted up here but I decided against that. When it had reached 50000 miles she decided to trade it in for a Toyota Aygo. I quickly put a stop to that and sold it privately for her enabling her to buy the Aygo for cash and us to have a cruise with Classic Gold on the cash difference between the trade in and the private sale values. So on the day she was due to collect her car I wanted to arrange for my mate to park the car I couldn't find on our drive blocking her brand new Aygo's path to the garage. I just wanted to see her face when she got home in her sparkling new machine to find the complementary wreck on her drive, but I just could not find a rusty old one of these:
BFTW Yugo GV, reputedly the worst car ever made!!
BFTW Yugo GV, reputedly the worst car ever made!!
I just thought there was a nice ring to Aygo, Yugo, Aygo, Yugo etc.... :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

So I reach the end of my alphabetical quest, thanks to Neil for starting the thread which has provoked a few amusing memories and some entertaining posts along the way.

My final entry for Z is perhaps not the most obvious choice, in fact I would say it is an often overlooked feature of one manufacturer's engine development over the last 20 odd years. My first encounter with the technology came in the form of my first Ford Mondeo which proudly exhibited the badge denoting its new high tech engine. An engine technology which has since been used across the Ford range, our latest incarnation being in SWMBO's last Fiesta. So here again is a web based picture of the first car I owned with a Zetec engine:
BFTW Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi
BFTW Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi
And so I drive off in search of new Horizons, preferably not Talbot ones!! :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

O

No pictures but I had an Opel Kadette years ago.
Was going for eighty quid but when we turned up to look at it the bloke said the clutch had failed so I could have it for eighty. Agreed and paid then before we towed it away I looked underneath and saw that the clutch cable had come off the fork, hooked it back on and drove away.
Had it for three years and did thousands of miles in it, only had tyres, oil, filters and brake shoes.
Very basic and noisy with a furnace like heater and a clock and tachometer.
OpelKadett-AutoWereld5mei2018-1.jpg
Like this.

Works as a 'K' too :)
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks for joining in chaps, I think I'll space my remaining W's, X,Y and Z over a few days, see if it generates any comment, or further joiners in. Its a decent enough thread for a bit of fond or not so fond memories, and personal choices and stories.

So its going to drag on a bit longer, and congratulations to Mick for the first completed A to Z, if I do mine that will be 2, who knows revive the thread from time to time and we may get a couple more with a full set.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey