Citroen Relay egr related problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stabbyjoe287
My Cars: citroen relay

Citroen Relay egr related problem

Post by stabbyjoe287 »

Hi Experts. Have ongoing prob with 2012 Relay. 2.2 Ford engine 130bhp. 55000miles
Let me tell you the story.
Merrily going along the road. Engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode. Checked with OBD reader. EGR related fault.
Limped home .. Ordered and fitted EGR valve.
Engine light off, no faults, but engine now hesitates mainly when hot. It just stumbles for a second. Ok if I put my foot down. No smoke.
Idles ok, but seems a bit rattlier when doing so.
Went to mechanic. He said new valve needed to be coded to ECU, which he did. No difference. Still hesitating.
Googled extensively. DPFE sensor maybe. This operates EGR via ECU apparently. Checked DPFE hoses and connections. Ordered sensor.
Fitted sensor .... no difference. No faults being recorded on tester.
Unplugged new ERG valve wiring connector. Runs perfectly, so I'm assuming it is still something to do with ERG system.
I'm now suspecting new valve is faulty!
Has anyone had a similar fault, and if you did, what cured it.
Its a campervan. Not driven like a grandad, but not abused. I dont want to head for distant places with an underlying fault.
Thanks to anyone who reads this rambling account, and special thanks to anyone with a solution.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Citroen Relay egr related problem

Post by Dormouse »

what is the manufacturer's name/brand of the new EGR?
stabbyjoe287
My Cars: citroen relay

Post by stabbyjoe287 »

Doesn't have a manufacturer on the box. TVT ? BK2Q9D475CB-Z 80695295. Its not a original part, but I chose one in the mid price range, from a company named Only Sensors, who... according to their sales site and ok reviews, seemed reputable. Like everything, its made in China, but on inspection prior to fitting, it looked a quality part. I'm an electrical engineer, so normally can spot rubbish.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

in that case, don't touch the new egr just yet. There are a whole range of other possibilities. Look at some more of the threads while you wait for reply from some of the senior members
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It be looking at the mass air flow sensor next, this is what the ECU uses to confirm that the EGR valve is working. If this is reading incorrectly it can cause the EGR system to do strange things as it will try to make adjustments to the EGR system when its not meant to be.
Andy_c201
New User
My Cars: Citroen Relay

Post by Andy_c201 »

I have exactly the same problem on my 2014 Citroen relay mileage 65000. Did you manage to resolve the problem?
DieselDougie
My Cars: 2014 2.2 L3H2 Citroen Relay Van 96kW

Post by DieselDougie »

I too have this problem on my 2014 Citroen. Although the garage has replaced the EGR valve(twice) it still hesitates at low speed. Its fine if I disconnect the EGR connector although the MIL come on the dash. Im thinking the EGR valve is somehow receiving a falser bad input. That I'm assuming is from the flow meter, the intake temp sensor or intake manifold temp or pressure sensor. Maybe the exhaust back pressure sensor if there is one. I would appreciate any thoughts before I progress with trouble shooting on the vehicle any further.