A to Z of Cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: A-Z of Cars

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A bit of trivia, or gossip maybe :? about Jowett, they were seemingly too successful for the Ford motor company, their bodies were built by Briggs motor bodies but the Briggs company was taken over in its early years by Ford who in the fifties declined to continue the contract with Jowett causing the collapse of the company and the end of Javelin/Jupiter production.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

xantia_v6 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 23:06 Jowett with Javelin or Jupiter

Neither would win a beauty contest (in my opinion), but I have always had a soft-spot for them. There was a Javelin parked a few doors down the street when I was growing up, and I don't think it moved in 10 years.
Series 1 Episode 3 of Bangers and Cash featured Jowett if you can get it on the net
This link works for the UK, just have to register to watch free.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/bange ... 7439399001

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Funny how you notice stuff, once you have pre programmed yourself with a few threads on the FCF.... It is whats known as "familiarity phenomenon" not to be confused with a true FCF spooky which is a paranormal unbelievable co-incidence.

My triple D and a bonus point for the artwork
temp2.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Here is an A you don't want to see in your rear view mirror!! No points because A has already gone !! :-D
BFTW - The Motorcyclist's nightmare
BFTW - The Motorcyclist's nightmare
Somerset and Avon police decided it's time to catch unruly bikers and adapted the Aerial Atom for the job, full story here.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Moving on in boring conventional fashion to my fifth entry and letter E, and its another triple with trivia.

In the days before the mobile phone, a notable EE company was English Electric. They manufactured a variety of things but the Lightning was one of their most iconic.

Here one stands behind an E-type Jaguar at appropriately Thunder City, Capetown in 2002

Electric Lighting & Jaguar (Cape Town, South Africa, 2002)
Andrew Shiva, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

To fill in the hole in my start something a little rarer than most, I give you the Berkeley Bandit:
BFTW
BFTW
Some interesting trivia: (Thieved from Wiki!)

For 1961, the intention was to move into the mainstream sports car market with the Bandit designed by John Tojeiro.[5] This was to be powered by the 997 cc Ford engine (as in the 105E Anglia) with Berkeley-designed MacPherson strut front and independent rear suspension. The car had a complex sheet steel chassis, braced by a GRP floor which was riveted to it, and boasted 8in diameter Girling disc brakes at the front. This made the design more conventional than earlier models, but still retaining a distinctive design and relatively light weight.

The cost of the development programme exacerbated the financial difficulties facing the company at the end of 1960, and despite active involvement in the project from Ford the Bandit failed to survive Berkeley's insolvency. Only two prototypes were produced; the original Motor Show and press car registration number 700CNM, which has since been restored, and a second prototype car registered YRX292, which had a 1340 cc Ford Classic engine. This car was sold in Dursley in 1966 and was last seen in Swindon in the late 1960s.

The car was to have sold for £798, equivalent to about £17,900 today,[5] which would have made it more expensive than the Mini and Austin-Healey Sprite.
:shock: :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Time for some ugliness in our world, and they don't come much uglier than my E, it is a citation in itself the Edsel:
BFTW
BFTW
and extracted from Wiki we have the story of the hideous hulk:

The Edsel Citation was the top of the line automobile produced by the former Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln Division of the Ford Motor Company of Dearborn, Michigan, and sold through its Edsel marque in 1958. The Citation was built on the longer, wider Edsel platform, shared with Mercury, and with the Corsair. Citation was one of two Edsel model names later used by another auto manufacturer, Pacer being the other. The Citation represented the highest trim level available within the Edsel brand.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

My last contribution for now will be following the theme of ugliness but making the highly unusual, if somewhat tenuous, link to Ferrari for it will give me a triple pointer in the Ferrari FF:
BFTW
BFTW
Wiki offers this introduction:

The Ferrari FF (Type F151) (FF meaning "Ferrari Four", for four seats and four-wheel drive) is a grand tourer presented by Italian automobile manufacturer Ferrari on March 1, 2011 at the Geneva Motor Show as a successor to the 612 Scaglietti grand tourer. It is Ferrari's first production four-wheel drive model. The body style has been described as a shooting-brake, a type of sporting hatchback/estate car with two doors. The FF has a top speed of 335 km/h (208 mph) and it accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.7 seconds. Ferrari states that the FF was the world's fastest four-seat automobile upon its release to the public. The FF costs US$300,000, with 800 being produced during the first year.
NewcastleFalcon

Here's my F from Italy

Slightly odd looking thing but I'm sure it would grow on me if I had one.

Like the dash and the gear knob

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That has got to be worth 10 points Eric, no doubt people will be saying "vot izt Zas?" :-D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

My father had a penchant for Vauxhalls in the seventies and had three FE Victor Estates in succession. His last one was a Vauxhall VX2300 automatic. I can't put my hand on a photo quickly but it was similar to this.

I took the vehicle over from him mid eighties and ran it for several years. My God it was a thirsty beast! Normal fuel consumption was around 23 - 25mpg rising to about 28mpg on the motorways. One year I took a caravan down to France and didn't even make it to the ferry before we had to refill. I later worked out that towing dropped the economy to about 16mpg. Damn near broke me doing the 950 miles to our destination. At least we could save on overnight hotel accommodation by staying in said caravan.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Tata T-87
Tata T-87
T

Been rather fascinated by Tatra's for a while now.
NewcastleFalcon

Time to pick up a few more A-Z's
Paul-R wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 21:13 My father had a penchant for Vauxhalls in the seventies and had three FE Victor Estates in succession. His last one was a Vauxhall VX2300 automatic.
Before that I'll dwell for a brief moment on Paul's VX2300, and let everyone know who doesn't already the site known as Vauxpedia is the most comprehensive coverage of full brochures, press releases, images, on any make of car on the internet.
Scroll down the opening page and the comprehensive index appears at the bottom..
http://vauxpedia.net/
Not sure which colour and trim Paul's was but here's a colourful couple of charts from 1976/1977 from Vauxpedia
Practical Vynide or Luxury Ambla?
Practical Vynide or Luxury Ambla?
Nice bit of plaid!
Nice bit of plaid!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I'm onto G now, and lets go for something Pietro Frua again. First came across his work via the Avengers, and his AC 427/428 are appearing in the show and on our whatsthisthen :?: thread.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 90#p677790

Then I selected for my F a 1946 Fiat 1100 Frua Spider

So onto G designed by Frua, and a vehicle eventually badged a BMW and a rare one at that, but which started life off as a

GLAS V8 2600
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glas_V8
Glas 2600 pic1 by AlfvanBeem and then cropped
Charles01, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 12 Apr 2021, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey