Peugeot Partner 2004, 2.0, Clutch cable snapped

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Peugeot Partner 2004, 2.0, Clutch cable snapped

Post by Element »

Hi Folks, had a look online and on here but can't find exactly my situation described so posting the details..

I believe my clutch cable has snapped. Car was stationary on my driveway at home (fortunately) started up, clutch pedal down to get into 1st but instead there was a bit of a bang and the pedal dropped to the floor and wouldn't return. Small metal clip dropped down on the footwell. Looking at the pedal itself I see a hook point at the top of the pedal where the cable (presumably) would connect. However I cannot see the cable end at all. can't see anything of the location in the engine bay - have to get underneath. Going to buy a pair of axle stands to get underneath and determine if the cable has snapped - or whether it has just dislodged or disconnected from the pedal. Looking online on ebay I see these things at the top of the search:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Part ... SwaCtd5oor

However I can't recognise whether it is part of the assembly, part of the cable end or what - I don't see anything like it at my pedal assembly. Not that its 'easy' to see anything at all down there, need more light & need to remove the front seat to get more access and visibility...

The cable at the gearbox is loose, not overly so - but I can pull it through with my fingers so I suspect it has snapped. Car has done 150k after all.

If anyone has had similar I'd appreciate your input & observations... ta
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
rhgb46-35
My Cars: ciroen berlingo multispace mk1
citroen c15d champ van
peugeot 405d estates (3)
renault 4 tl (2)

Re: Peugeot Partner 2004, 2.0, Clutch cable snapped

Post by rhgb46-35 »

hi Element - I had same thing with 1.9 v.high-mileage Berlingo year or so ago.
I believe has the same type of cable which is self-adjusting and the ratchet mechanism is plastic and housed inside a spring-loaded tube clipped to lower front sub-frame.
I at first thought it was just the plastic stirrup that had broken where it hooks and pivots on the top end of the pedal, and remembered from years before that it happened on one of Pug405s I had and was able to drill 6mm hole to put a small bolt+nut through(all very fiddly and need v.good light to work lying upside-down in drivers footwell.
I did the same on the Berlingo as could see the plastic stirrup had bust at same place and assumed it would be ok - well, I got clutch effort back but was hard changing some gears. I managed like that for few weeks then pedal collapsed again, so realised the difference was the 405 cable was a complete steel wire to the g/box (with manual locknut adjustment) whereas B'o has this central ratchet gizmo which is a sealed unit and has to be reset with a special gizmo tool(don't know why they changed from manual adjust at threaded end on simple one-piece cable!)
So I got complete cable assy from m/factor @ £40 odd and had lovely time mostly in footwell fitting that(getting the seal through bulkhead is worst bit) It also helps to unbolt the pedal-box inside also the lower shrouds/fuse box cover. You'll need to have ramps or axle stands to unclip old adjuster from subframe & clip on the new - wear gloves as it can be v.oily down there on h.milers!
Hope this helps - let me know if need to clarify anything.
Good luck,
Richard
Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Re: Peugeot Partner 2004, 2.0, Clutch cable snapped

Post by Element »

Thanks Richard, I replaced the cable today. Exactly as you said - the plastic end had broken at the pedal. What a delight it was to work out a way of getting the new cable end clip onto the 'hook' inside the pedal box when you can't get a finger in there... Managed it eventually with a small torch propped inside the fascia panel shining onto the spot while I worked with a variety of screwdrivers and long nosed pliers... Then getting the other cable end onto the gearbox was a challenge. Managed it with some grease on the rubber bung and long nosed pliers to lever it in. Once in I then released the spring loaded adjuster at the subframe. Had the car on axle stands at the front high enough to work under. Very oily & messy as you say!
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire