Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

Post by Peter.N. »

Not heard that description Jim. I think the Lambretta was the better looking one.

Is that garage still there Neil?

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Peter.N. wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 10:38 Not heard that description Jim. I think the Lambretta was the better looking one.
Is that garage still there Neil?
Peter
This one Peter? Scooter riders treated like royalty, attended service, nice clean crisp logoed white coat, and unlike the car drivers a little canopy overhead at the "Hi-Fli Scooter bay."
temp2.png
Bobins came up with a suggestion here that it may have become Chidham Service Station, but it won't be there as was, as a National Station and highly likely to have been redeveloped. I guess it was somewhere in the vicinity of Havant, and Langstone Service station might have been in Langstone itself or on Langstone Road maybe somewhere else.

National Petrol used to produce a series of Maps of GB, presumably with their filling stations on, so if you have one of those lying around for the south coast that 1963' ish service station may well be referred to.

Decent story of National Benzole Maps here
http://www.petrolmaps.co.uk/national.htm

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 10:38 Not heard that description Jim. I think the Lambretta was the better looking one.
I think the expression was unique to the gang of bikers I used to hang out with when in my teens...

Agreed on the Lambretta being the better looker... I always had a sneaking liking for them but to save face I could never express it back in the day, I can now :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I was proud of my J125. Prouder of mt Pacemaker 150 and positively overflowing with my SX200 :-D :-D Wish I still had it, one sold for £32k just before Christmas!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The Piaggio Vespa was clever, though. No chain, linking the crank to the gearbox, but a one-piece and compact unit, which also carried the rear wheel. Weak point was the multi-plate clutch, whose large retaining circlip could dislodge, this exploding the clutch - and a propensity (with my '59 125cc anyway) to snap clutch cables. Oh for stainless ones back then!

Remember a weekend scoot from home in Ealing to Malvern, to visit a girlfriend away on summer school. Blasted cable snapped while in the Malverns, and the return journey to London was done "bump-start-and-hop-on" :shock: .
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The flywheel started rattling on mine, on inspection I found all the rivets loose, I replaced them with nuts and bolts and it worked fine. Later I got a new/recon engine - cant remember why, cost about £30 I think, you could get an exchange ford side valve engine for £25! A few days after I returned the old engine I had a phone call saying that because I had modified the flywheel I would have to pay for a new one, I replied 'let me have the old one back and you can have the new one off this engine' - never heard another word from them.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 23:35A few days after I returned the old engine I had a phone call saying that because I had modified the flywheel I would have to pay for a new one, I replied 'let me have the old one back and you can have the new one off this engine' - never heard another word from them.
Ahh! Back in the day when common sense prevailed :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

From a link on Chris Barker's albums on Flickr

This picture marks the final day of business for this lovely roadside garage before it closed, possibly because of new regulations over roadside pumps

http://www.helmsleyarchive.org.uk/displ ... p?pid=3755

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I had forgotten Rix. I have seen one but no idea where. Would have been in the Whitby area, most likely one of the villages.
May even have been Helmsley but unlikely.
NewcastleFalcon

Well I have to feature this one, before I lose track of where I saw it.

I have never seen a better collection of "old Garage and petrol stations than this. Locations long forgotten all over the country.

So here's pump wars on a small scale in Otterburn Northumberland on the A696. National and Esso.

I've passed by the Esso at Lochearnhead lovely colour photo, in my trawl but did wonder if many of our Scotland holiday members might have paused a while there :-D

I haven't found a decent searchable way on locations just yet so coming across the Otterburn one was pure chance. Depends what tags the album attaches to the images.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 23 Mar 2021, 10:38 Peter.....old garages
Came across this in my flicking through an Album of old Garage photographs on Flickr

Shell on the left BP on the right at Charmouth Dorset in the 1960's

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That looks familiar :-D That was back in the days before the bypass, all the A35 traffic came through Charmouth and coming from the West through quite a long narrow tunnel. There were numerous accidents with brake failure on lorries coming from Axminster direction, pushing all the cars up in a heap at the bottom of the hill.

A lorry went right through a house at the top end of the town later in the day that I had been there repairing the TV. :shock: Its much quieter in Charmouth now, still can't find anywhere to park though except in the car parks. If I was collecting or delivering big heavy TV's I had to park outside the house, I got my only ever parking ticket in the High Street. :x That was shortly before I retired, just up the hill from the Coach and Horses. Don't have to worry about that now.

There were two garages in Charmouth when we came down and about five in Axminster, nearly all gone now.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Another coincidental link to FCF Archives, via a couple of weighing machines. Well I discover now that this charming postcard from roughly the late 60's early 1970's showed the Esso garage next to the Lochearnhead hotel. The garage has gone, but it was at the location of the Weighing Machine outside the little shop. (click and the pic gets bigger and there's the weighing machine just outside the shop :-D )

and the FCF archives story.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 11:33 Just having a virtual drive around Lochearnhead on google street view looking for the garage mentioned by Puxa on the Garages thread and discovered something absolutely fascinating, on a fascination scale of 1-10 this is about 8 :-D (that is in the category of fascination---unbelievable coincidences)

Here it is
Spoiler: show
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.385011, ... 312!8i6656
Right, now you are thinking what's fascinating about that?

Well......this of course
Spoiler: show
From POTD a mere few weeks ago and at the time the only appearance ever of a weighing machine on POTD.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 20:53 Weighing machine at Amble
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That's a great Lochearnhead photo - sparse white line, tarmac looking more like an earth road, no pavements, a mk1 Mini and an 1100, a Rover P4, and a Herald, and 405-line tv aerials everywhere.
Chris
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Lochearnhead was where we ran out of diesel towing a caravan in the '70's

Peter