Oh NO! I Bought a Berlingo Multispace !!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Oh NO! I Bought a Berlingo Multispace !!!!!

Post by Doo »

Evening all. Well, I'm having to sell my lovely old Range Rover and buy something practical! So I am getting a 2012 Berlingo van that is a car, but it'll be a van :-D

I test drove it, almost everything works and it is smooooooooth 8-) Been well looked after as it's immaculate and all the usual suspects are present & correct. Even down to the load area light/torch :yeah:

Obviously I want to change some things. I notice the mirror adjuster spins all the way, so hoped it had power fold mirrors. Alas not. How much of a pain is it to add them to the loom?

Tow bar. Any tips on installing it and the leccy or is is straight forward plug in Diag and get it told?

The centre storage bin between front seats comes out. Am I correct in thinking there is an option for a cool box that plugs in to keep food/drinks cold or am I making this up :rofl2: I'm sure I read it somewhere as an option, but can't remember what, where or when!

I want to upgrade the sounds, so again is it straight forward to find a box that will translate the steering wheel finger tip controls to the "new" tranny? Although the system I have is Android and I think it self learns when you press the buttons and tell it what to do. Only, I remember fitting a SONY to wife's C4 and it wasn't happy at all. I think it was something to do with the miltiplug on the back of the original Citroen radio wouldn't communicate with the bluetooth or some such. I gave up and returned it to standard and bought her a clip on one for the sun visor :-D

And finally, it's the same engine as in the C4. Are there any differences between the 2007 1.6hdi and the 2012 1.6hdi? It has 145k so 1st job will be timing belt kit and oil & filters. But should I remove the gauze filter from the banjo bolt to prevent oil feed issues? I think the car has been well serviced as it is quiet and lively. It's the fully auto model with the dial up gear and flappy paddles, but has the dreaded stop/start starter motor killer system. He already paid £1000 for an alternator :shock: But I imagine a chunk of that would have been labour charges.

Anyway, looking forward to my "new" bus. I know I am crazy, but I do like a Citroen :sprint:
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: Oh NO! I Bought a Berlingo Multispace !!!!!

Post by moizeau »

Regarding the towing electrics, on my Dispatch and 407 it is 'almost' plug and play. You do need to tell it it has a towbar so the reversing bleepers don't bleep when you hook up the trailer. My plug was behind the panelling LH Rear corner.
Regarding the engine, 2012 should be an 8v as opposed to the 16v. More robust without the turbo / injector issue....stick up the VIN and the Godly Ones will enlighten you.
The towing electrics kit was about 70 quid but so easy to fit. Normally it's bumper off for the towbar.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

I can purchase a pair of leccy folding mirrors, but it seems to be operated via the lock/unlock system.

I'm really tempted to install them, but what do I do to programme them?

Bloomin tech!!!
discv
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '05 X Pic 2.0 Hdi
'08 C4 Pic 1.6 Hdi EGS
1973 GS 1220 RHD service van

Post by discv »

The turbo oil feed filter debate-
The pipe, banjo and filter has been modified- but the filter is incredibly fine. In my view this will guarantee oil starvation in the event of any contamination, and bang goes the turbo- again.
After much brainstorming, I omitted the filter. Reasoning that contaminated oil was better than no oil.
I also opted to reduce oil/filter change to 5000 miles. I try to feel the old oil for any sign of a gritty presence. I keep a close eye on the area around the injector mounts for any sign of seats blowing by.
C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2006-2008)
Toyota Aygo Black 2007 [well almost a french car!]
Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi Exclusive 2005
1220 GS Service Van RHD 1973
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

discv wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 12:33 The turbo oil feed filter debate-
The pipe, banjo and filter has been modified- but the filter is incredibly fine. In my view this will guarantee oil starvation in the event of any contamination, and bang goes the turbo- again.
After much brainstorming, I omitted the filter. Reasoning that contaminated oil was better than no oil.
I also opted to reduce oil/filter change to 5000 miles. I try to feel the old oil for any sign of a gritty presence. I keep a close eye on the area around the injector mounts for any sign of seats blowing by.
I think I will go down the same route seeing as how she has covered 145k. My wife's car is at around 90k, but I do the oil every year as she barely covers 6k per annum. I am planning to remove her engine all together at some point as it will need the cam chain kit, timing belt kit and glow plugs replaced. The main reason for the engine out is the fact it's easier to do all that on the bench AND I "still" haven't got to the bottom of the jumping forward in 1st gear (it's the piloted box). I experienced it and it is frightening :shock: She started it in Lidl car park and it took off before stalling as the parking brake took hold (I replaced the discs & pads all round a few months ago). I checked with Lexia and NO FAULTS found! I wonder if perhaps it's a grotty connection at the gear lever switch gear? :-k I am also swithering about the accumulator sphere??? I have the idea it is the "leg" behind the clutch (it would make sense to have something with a bit of power to engage the clutch) but I cannot for the life of me find any helpful info that could lead me to make an informed decision about what to try. The car is in daily use and other than the starting in gear issue, it goes well. Very well actually 8-)

So I must be mad to take on another Citroen :rofl2:

Mind you, I've lived with my Range Rover since 2016 so I am used to cars dicking around for no obvious or apparent reason :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

A couple of things to do are to do the servicing about twice as often as is suggested (to help deal with 'cruddy' oil), and (when you service it) make sure the injector bolts are correctly torqued up (apparently Ford and Volvo use the same engine, Volvo DON'T typically have the problem with carbon build up, and their mechanics are told to check the injector bolts are correctly tight when the engine is serviced).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
discv
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '05 X Pic 2.0 Hdi
'08 C4 Pic 1.6 Hdi EGS
1973 GS 1220 RHD service van

Post by discv »

Not wishing to rain on OP's parade! - but I would dearly love to know how Volvo check the injector bolts.
The only way I have found to check mine is to back off evenly the 7mm hex nuts to just the point that the pressure is off - but the injectors do not move.
Then go about the tightening sequence over again i.e. X no. inch/pounds + the specified angle, in small stages.

I know a lot of folk simply go to 1 'click of the wrist'' but I have always wondered if the specified relatively low torque addresses the different expansion rates for where the aluminum head meets the copper seals meets the steel injector.
C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 16V FAP/DPFS 110, -Auto (DV6 - 80kW) (C4) (DT) (2006-2008)
Toyota Aygo Black 2007 [well almost a french car!]
Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi Exclusive 2005
1220 GS Service Van RHD 1973
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 14:06 A couple of things to do are to do the servicing about twice as often as is suggested (to help deal with 'cruddy' oil), and (when you service it) make sure the injector bolts are correctly torqued up (apparently Ford and Volvo use the same engine, Volvo DON'T typically have the problem with carbon build up, and their mechanics are told to check the injector bolts are correctly tight when the engine is serviced).
I've always been a fan of changing oil & filters so hopefully I'll be able to keep the Lingo in live long condition :)

Wife's C4 has always been an awesome reliable engine. Starts on the button every time.
dave

Post by dave »

Doo wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 16:04 So I am getting a 2012 Berlingo van that is a car, but it'll be a van :-D
get yourself booked in for double hip replacement….

a berlingo is a clunge magnet
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

dave wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 21:46
Doo wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 16:04 So I am getting a 2012 Berlingo van that is a car, but it'll be a van :-D
get yourself booked in for double hip replacement….

a berlingo is a clunge magnet
:rofl2:

Not as much as the Jaguar or the Rover :-D

Anyway, who knows if I can stick on a pair of electric folding mirrors or is it a pointless exersize?

Ta 8-)