Peugeot 206 1,4 wont start. Solved

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fredrik
My Cars: 2007 Peugeot 206 1,4
2004 Peugeot 206 1,4
1992 Chevrolet Corvette

Peugeot 206 1,4 wont start. Solved

Post by Fredrik »

Hi, I bought a 2007 Peugeot 206 for my children who have recently got their driving licenses. The car worked fine for maybe a month but then from one day to another it wont start. It just cranks but nothing happens.
There is is no spark and the plugs are dry so it seems like no fuel is injected.

I have actually had exactly the same problem on our other Peugeot some years ago and in that case it was a broken wire between the ECU and the relay box. I believe its the same problem now but apparently not the same wire since they have not the same ECU and different wire colours. I have checked the voltage on the fuses and I have 12V on F4 and F8 but not on F15. I suspect that the relays dont get power from the ECU due to a broken wire. The problem is to know which wire. I find it very hard to check the wires since the holes in connector for the ECU are so narrow. I'm afraid to damage them if i put in a probe by force. I have tried from the back where the cables go in to the connectors but its hard to conform that I really have contact there since all wire colours change on their way to their relay box.

I have also made a readout with PP2000 and I had some fault codes but they have not showed up again after I erased them.

Does anyone know which wire trigger the relays? I found a wiring diagram in another thread but its not complete so I cant figure out which wire it is and to which connector it goes.

Can anyone suggest what to use as a probe for the ECU connectors to be able to measure resistance between ECU and relay box?

(The ECU is a Valeo J34P with two smaller and one larger connector)

Regards
Fredrik
Last edited by Fredrik on 26 Jun 2021, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Medcalf
My Cars: Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi peugeot 306 1.4 meridian

Re: Peugeot 206 1,4 wont start

Post by Paul Medcalf »

Sounds like an imobiliser fault ? Does the car ping when you try to start ? Can you hear the fuel pump working ? I am not certain just trying to help out seem like it could be something simple not as complicated as first thought.
Fredrik
2004 Peugeot 206 1,4
1992 Chevrolet Corvette

Post by Fredrik »

Yes it pings and also it sounds if I open the door with the key left in. I suspected fuel pressure at first but i have checked if it has fuel prssure and it does.
Thank you anyway!

//Fredrik
dfabrici
(Donor 2021)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi 2004
Citroen C1 1.0 2008

Post by dfabrici »

Since you have PP2000, I think that a sound way of proceeding would be checking the live data coming from the ECU, to see if there's anything strange or not showing up. To correctly probe the multiplug pins you should use ultra thin multimeter tips, like these ones, so you can get inside the holes:
0ccffb72878050ce9c1a8a400833e0a4e0c28ef9_original.jpeg
Fredrik
2004 Peugeot 206 1,4
1992 Chevrolet Corvette

Re: Peugeot 206 1,4 wont start. Solved

Post by Fredrik »

Problem solved. It turned out to be the crank position sensor. Actually I had it in mind from the beginning but since I didn't get a fault code with PP2000 I ruled it out. After hours of troubleshooting I finally ran out of ideas and since I have one more 206 standing just next to the non starting one I decided to borrow the crank position sensor from it.
The "non starter" now started immediately. Many hours of troubleshooting for a problem that only took 15 minutes to fix when it was finally found....I guess that is how it always is when it comes to this kind of problems.

Regards
Fredrik