Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Came across this fairly ordinary French garage while reading round the E10 fuel debate. I do like the fuel hoses over the pavement arrangement. The page translates pretty well in my browser.

https://sortiedegrange.com/quel-carbura ... -ancienne/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh I do like that. :-D

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 10:33 Oh I do like that. :-D
Peter
Did you see my car of the day yesterday peter Austin Westminster A95 Estate 1959 in Green/white?
yesrterday's Car of the day
yesrterday's Car of the day
mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 11:32 Regent (remember them?)
Yes, and they did have one of those idyllic little garages on the road between Consett and Rowlands Gill which always looked great. In my mind you would have the sign and a few pumps with the globes, an in and out with a decent well manicured bit of grass, and no doubt a dingy bell thing trailing over the entrance, probably flower beds a bit of white posts and chains by the roadside and the owners cottage behind it. Never yet found a picture of it. No trace left of it now.

Bit of a faded globe from Mathewsons Memoribilia auctions.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:31
Yes, and they did have one of those idyllic little garages on the road between Consett and Rowlands Gill which always looked great. In my mind you would have the sign and a few pumps with the globes, an in and out with a decent well manicured bit of grass, and no doubt a dingy bell thing trailing over the entrance, probably flower beds a bit of white posts and chains by the roadside and the owners cottage behind it. Never yet found a picture of it. No trace left of it now.

Regards Neil
You mean something similar to this little gem from Dolgellau?
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Or was this your memory inspiration? :-D
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:31
Peter.N. wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 10:33 Oh I do like that. :-D
Peter
Did you see my car of the day yesterday peter Austin Westminster A95 Estate 1959 in Green/white?

Regards Neil
Never seen one of those Neil or an A55 estate in that shape, must be a conversion I would think. Quite a few firms doing them in the '50s.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:39 You mean something similar to this little gem from Dolgellau?
mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:42 Or was this your memory inspiration? :-D
Yes, I'm sure there is a bit of mixed up imagery at work. The net just doesn't have enough information on it and no images at all. Next time I'm in the vicinity I may do a bit of industrial archaeology see if any tell tale traces are left.

This cottage occupies the spot and looks like it could have been there in the early 60's up to the early 70's.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Peter.N. wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:46 Never seen one of those Neil or an A55 estate in that shape, must be a conversion I would think. Quite a few firms doing them in the '50s.
Looks like Longbridge churned the Austin A95 Estate out Peter. They used the "Countryman" name for the brochures. Launched at the Motor Show in October 1956
" Specification of the A.95 Countryman is identical with that of the A.95 saloon, excepting the gear ratios which are lower. Borg Warner automatic transmission may be had as an optional extra, in place of the manual four speed gearbox. The new body is of all-steel construction and, while it follows the general style of the normal saloon, the extended rear quarters greatly increase the internal space. Loading doors in the rear panel are divided horizontally, the lower door lining up with the platform behind the rear seats when open. The load space of 28 cu ft is increased to 62 cu ft by folding forward the rear seat. This seat may also be folded back so that the squab, which is divided, forms head rests for a double bed space. Maximum load when Dunlop Cushion Fort tyres are specified is five people, estimated to weigh 750 lb collectively, and approximately 560 lb of luggage.

http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/austina951956.htm

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Neil, I was alive when they were but I don't ever recall seeing one.

This is our local garage as I remember it as a kid - and as a teenager when the minx ad came out.
Attachments
Hillman Minx Dunstonian.jpg
dunstonian garage.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Liked this electric fuel pump at Vintage Voltage workshops at Newtown in Wales.
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just opposite the village pump in Sherington, near Paggers...

Note the old National petrol sign on the wall...
haynes1.jpg
haynes2.jpg
The company runs a small fleet of very much loved and immaculate Artic tractors... These are really pampered and blingy :D

No relation to the Haynes of BoL fame as far as I know ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 17:07 Note the old National petrol sign on the wall...
Another one of the garages of my youth, the National filling station...pop and ice cream shop...at Villa Real near Consett. Nostalgic logo for me. Waited for many a bus next to the garage, as a boy in the freezing fog/cold travelling home at night after visiting my grandma.

and guess what, random photographs of such ordinary things as a National Garage or a Regent Garage just weren't taken in Consett! I mean you would have to pay to get them developed and all that palaver, and the subject...very limited interest.

So the best the internet has to offer of my National Garage is this. Its in the background with the blue edges canopy over the pumps on the forecourt. It had an entrance on main Durham Road, and on the road up to the quaintly named Number One and onwards to Blackhill/ Shotley Bridge.
National Garage behind the train!
National Garage behind the train!
That took some finding :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and for the railway buffs that is 27th September 1980 and a 3-car Class 111 DMU and a 2-car Class 108 DMU
The RCTS (West Riding Branch) North Eastern No.5 Railtour travelling to the recently closed Consett steelworks before it and the line were dismantled.
The line up to Consett which now forms part of the Coast to Coast Cycle route, had some steep gradients, which required some power to haul the heavy iron ore and coal trains up from Tyne Dock, or the "Torpedo" trucks of Molten Steel up from Teesside for processing at Consett.

With a little bit of moisture on the rails coming up past Beamish, the 1 in 35 gradient, caused the double-powered trains to struggle with the steam train doing much puffing and panting, and the diesel helping out at the back with a touch of the squealing wheels. Only a minute or so watch, worth giving it a go.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Love the train and National sign combination Neil :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 04:52 Love the train and National sign combination Neil :D
Pleased you liked it Jim :-D Again a random link with the National Petrol Sign you photographed has led me to a very enjoyable delve into my own local history from North West Durham. :-D

Looking back, that particular line up to the Consett Iron Company was very busy, and I am enjoying digging a bit further into it, and there are loads of video's of it brought to life again ditto with the steelworks. Never appreciated the logistics, or the importance of that railway. Now it is part of the Coast to Coast cycleway from high on the Weardale moors above Stanhope down through Consett to near Chester-le-Street at the former South Pelaw Junction.

I'm sure many of us played with trains in our youth, but I'll put again a short video, of a tremendous layout of the said South Pelaw junction in the spoiler before getting bang on topic again
Spoiler: show
So in a return on-topic Jakie Robson's Garage a Consett Institution but now a LiDL :-D . Vauxhall/Bedford garage and I am going to have to look up what brand of Petrol and Diesel they did. The triangular Globes should help...
luton's finest Bedford CA's at Jakie Robsons Consett
luton's finest Bedford CA's at Jakie Robsons Consett
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey