Electric Cars:what's available?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Electric Cars:what's available?

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have just been playing to try and amend the thing I'm not keen on about that Leaf. Here is my version which I think looks much better proportioned. Given that you have the best reason there is to be biased Neil what do you think? :-D
Created
Created
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 21:39 I have just been playing to try and amend the thing I'm not keen on about that Leaf. Here is my version which I think looks much better proportioned. Given that you have the best reason there is to be biased Neil what do you think? :-D

You've done a bit of redesigning of the lights I see. But quite subtle. You could maybe have gone for radical pop ups. I'm sure the headlights are unnecessarily big and frog like but....

...I must admit as Henry Higgins put it in My fair lady...."I've grown accustomed to her face" and wouldn't change a thing :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This garage has recently added an MG wing to their business, and in a microcosm of the EV market as it is in 2021 around the forecourt this was the choice. For me you have to get down to the 30kWh Leaf to get anywhere near enjoying running cost savings which bring the monthly costs down anywhere near what I would want to commit to owning a car. That's just me of course. Many people buy and enjoy new cars on PCP, hidebound themselves to annual mileage allowances etc and shell out a lot of money for not a lot of mileage, and a great deal of depreciation and financing costs.
New
The New MG5 SW EV From £24,495
.....the only "estate" currently available in the EV world.
DSC05202.JPG
The MG ZS EV from £25,495
P1070620.JPG
Second Hand
MGZS EV 69 Reg £18,500 windscreen price
P1070615.JPG
Nissan Leaf 2017 30 kWh £11,499 windscreen Price
P1070619.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Aston Martin's electric sports models to be made at Gaydon plant

Good news for all of you who would only consider buying an Aston Martin if it was both all electric and made in the UK. :lol:

"Luxury car giant Aston Martin has pledged to manufacture all of its electric cars in the UK from 2025.
As first reported in the Financial Times, owner Lawrence Stroll said all of its battery sports cars will be made at its plant in Gaydon, Warwickshire.
Its electric SUV models will be made at St Athan in Glamorgan, he confirmed.
The company is due to start making hybrid versions of its cars over the next four years, followed by battery-only models.
Earlier this week, Mr Stroll told the BBC electrification would not be a problem for the company as the technology could be brought in from Mercedes-Benz, which Aston Martin has a technical partnership with."

Article on the BBC website:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-56315124
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

ŠKODA UK retailers open order books for electric ENYAQ iV

The price tag

ENYAQ iV 60 Nav (62 KWh 179 PS) – from £31,085 OTR
ENYAQ iV 80 (82 KWh 204 PS) – from £35,950 OTR

WLTP combined range of up to 256 miles on a single charge. The larger 82kWh model generates 204PS (150kW) and is capable of returning up to 333 miles on a single charge (WLTP)

and WLTP=Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure.

Unlikely that many people are going to carry over £30K in an envelope and buy the car. Skoda call their finance "Lease and Care" and you choose the initial deposit, annual mileage, contract length , and level of care desired. At the end of the contract, hand back, renew into another vehicle, or extend their contract with the same car. PCP arrangements also allow you to purchase the car at the end of the contract.

All very simple, all (for me at least) frighteningly expensive on a monthly basis for 10,000 miles of motoring a year.
Not unusual though same for the competition, and the price you have to pay for having a new car.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

duplication removed
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Mar 2021, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another seriously ugly thing dumped on the unsuspecting public.
NewcastleFalcon

KIA's EV6 due to officially launch on 30th March

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

They all seem to be going for styling rather than pleasure of motoring, those very small rear side windows must be a pain for anyone even slightly claustrophobic sitting in the back.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I actually quite like the look of that... Looks a bit different from the usual bland :) It needs to be yellow ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Ch Ch Ch changes... From today...strange date...

The UK Governments plug-in grant incentive has been reduced from £3,000 to £2,500 and the Price cap eligibility has come down from £50,000 to £35,000.

Someone somewhere was reported as saying, doesn't say whether it was someone down the pub or someone on the Clapham Omnibus.
“We’re ending the Tesla subsidy. Taxpayers should not be subsidising people to buy £50,000 cars.”
Gubbins here if you want a read/comment

UK slashes grants for electric car buyers while retaining petrol vehicle support

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Mar 2021, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The subsidy should have been retained at the previous level for BEVs, wound down for hybrids (plug-in or otherwise), and certainly capped to exclude the expensive stuff.

I'm not convinced govt ministers actually understand the full differences between BEVs, PHEVs and so-called Self-Charging Hybrids. Either that, or they're happy for the confusion to continue.

I don't think we should be subsidising anything with an exhaust pipe.

Interesting article in the Gu. today about Japan's involvement (or lack of it) with BEVs, and an interesting photo of the BYD bus factory in China.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

From the Horses mouth at the DfT

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/plug ... the-switch

these are the eligible vehicles for the scheme, hybrid conspicuous by their absence. Cars need to be able to go 70miles on electric only, small vans 60 miles on electric only

https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants

To be eligible for the grant, cars must cost less than £35,000. This is the recommended retail price (RRP), and includes VAT and delivery fees. Whether RRP covers add on to the basic RRP of fancy wheels, and paint optional extras, I presume it would.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

BMW rarely raise a flicker of interest from me. They entered the EV world with the BMW i3, its been around some time. Quirky looking thing, and as you might expect with the badge, overpriced and inexplicably still too pricy to be considered bargain basement second-hand even now.

So 2021 brings us the next BMW phase...an SUV thing they are naming the BMW iX presumably the X is to denote its one of those over bulky SUV things with the meaningless moniker "Crossover", and a more BMW-looking thing called the i4. Meanwhile over in the German creative names battle, VW have named their offerings the ID3 and the ID4.

Now I do acknowledge KIA taking posession of EV1 to EV9 as "names" for their cars, less impressed with the German namings of their Electric babies.

So to show you what they look like here they are.
Can someone just shout No! No! No!
Can someone just shout No! No! No!
No price but its on its way
No price but its on its way
I can't think of many more irrelevant pieces of machinery, making a less than useless contribution, in the move to electrification of personal transport.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I always thought the 'i' prefix/suffix on car badges meant 'inadequate', in that it was aimed at motorists who felt inadequate in some way and so would buy the car to make themselves feel better and more superior. I s'pose you're going to tell me I've been assuming it wrong all these years 8-[ :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(