Public and Commercial Transport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Public Transport

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I thought I remembered something about Wrightbus being in administration. Wiki tells us this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrightbus ... %20factory.
On 11 October 2019, a deal was reached in principle between Jo Bamford and the Wright family for the land used by the factory, a sticking point in negotiations to sell the firm, although a deal was only made with the administrators eleven days later, with Jo Bamford's Bamford Bus Company concluding a takeover of the company.

Since the takeover of Wrightbus, Bamford has been committed to creating a market for hydrogen buses with a reconfigured StreetDeck that is powered by hydrogen technology and plans to roll three thousand of the type by 2024.
https://www.wrightbus.com/
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Seeing as its Bus day bring this forward from the archive pages. The concluding point is...

...news that China's BYD are selling Buses hand over fist, can have a consequent benefit to UK manufacturing

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 10:50 Image

Sounds like a very British traditional company. They make buses/Fire engines that type of thing.?

HQ...in Scotland, Larbert no less....right next door to Stenhousemuir....notable in the "football results" or on your pools coupon, and McCowans Highland Toffee.

They took over another Icon of the Bus and Coach trade, Plaxtons but Alexander Dennis themselves were sold, and operate as subsidiary of Canadian Group NFI.

Still some good news for UK Manufacturing as they have partnered with China's BYD, the market leader, and are producing electric buses.

"The new BYD ADL Enviro400EV is built in Britain at ADL's facility in Scarborough, Yorkshire, using BYD components assembled into a powered chassis built in Europe at BYD's plant in Komarom, Hungary.

So good news for UK Assembly, and Scarborough as orders flow in for BYD ADL Enviro400EV including

London’s Route 94 Gets An Upgrade With 29 New Electric Double-Decker Buses From BYD

So news that China's BYD are selling Buses hand over fist, can have a consequent benefit to UK manufacturing.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nice pic of an Optare in the sunshine down the Quayside in Newcastle

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In the public transport strategy announced today the recommendation is for a 'Dial-A-Bus' service on lightly-used and rural routes... Ring the bus company, tell then where you want to go and a minibus will take you there... Along with several others wanting to make the same journey!

It's nothing new...

Milton Keynes had its 'MK Dial-A-Bus' service operating in the 70s and early 80s before demand became such that an ordinary bus service across the embryonic new city became viable...

A few weeks ago, driven by Covid and the resultant massively reduced bus usage in the city a new dial-a-bus service has been introduced on several routes already, a number of which pass through Paggers...

Buses in MK have never been a great success as it's such a predominately car-friendly place and indeed, designed for the car... Buses don't work well in MK. Car-friendly it might be but it's not traditionally bus friendly at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

There are certain aspects of public transport I have an affection for but actually using it is not one, although thumbs up for the Shields Ferry and The Open top Bus to Whitley Bay in the summer :-D That's a day out rather than your normal public transport :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 08:45 We have this Jim. http://www.lydneydialaride.co.uk/#:~:t ... f%20Dean.
Excellent :D Very similar to ours :) I see them getting more and more popular... I know some will say they're like a glorified taxi but the price differential, at least hereabouts, is very considerable!

I believe some of ours are subsidised...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you'll find most buses, ICE or otherwise are subsidised as they would not pay for themselves on fares alone, certainly not in this neck of the woods, where you can see buses with literally nobody on roaming the roads. It's got to the point now where if you want a bus, you ring up and book it! It's called Bwcabus.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Wonder where the tipping point would come where it's cheaper - in some locations - to do away with buses completely and subsidise "Ubers" instead ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes indeed!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It's been my belief for a long time that it would be cheaper to just let people travel by taxi, as and when they need to, paid for by the taxpayer than to keep running a subsidised 70 seater bus empty around the Forest every half hour.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 09:43 It's been my belief for a long time that it would be cheaper to just let people travel by taxi, as and when they need to, paid for by the taxpayer than to keep running a subsidised 70 seater bus empty around the Forest every half hour.
Couldn't agree more Eric :) In fact, in parts of MK this happens to an extent already - lots of contract taxi journeys are made to take vulnerable/special needs children to schools and so on...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Public & Commercial Transport

Where is the world's first urban airport, for drones and flying taxi's?

Where else.....Coventry, United Kingdom

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Public and Commercial Transport

There's plenty of news and development going on in commercial aviation. Not so much your fleet of jet airliners, transporting people and goods across the globe, but in utilising aviation in terms of drones, and VTOL small aircraft to transport goods mainly, with just a smattering of the Air taxi personal transportation, yes the flying car!

UPS announced that it is buying up to 150 electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (eVTOL) aircraft from Beta Technologies to update its delivery network. Following the rise of consumer drones and improved battery capacity, eVTOL with the capacity for passengers and cargo has become possible.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Public and Commercial Transport

Post by mickthemaverick »

My son-in-law has taken up a post in one of the air taxi companies. He will be involved in design and production of the craft using his composite materials experience. This is the company he starts work for on May 1st:
BFTW
BFTW
https://volocopter.com/en/

I look forward to some test rides in due course! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!