Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

nuclear fusion and wind
nuclear fusion and wind
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Can you learn anything from listening to the Jeremy Vine Show. :?:

The answer for me is "Depends who he has on and whether he allows them to speak without constantly interrupting with his own comments" :!:

Well Friday at the charger Juliet Davenport from the Good Energy Company was one of his guests, and told the listeners about the complicated world of REGO's and how these allowed energy suppliers to legitimately pass themselves off as supplying 100% green energy, and charging accordingly, through purchase of "bits of paper".

I refer you to the excellent appearance of Tim and Charlie on Dragons Den for a spoof on the ludicrousness of such things.

The bits of paper in this case are Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGOs). A renewable energy generator receives one REGO per MWh of electricity they generate. They can then sell their electricity on the open market, without using up any of their REGOs, and then trade their REGO's to other energy suppliers who with the certificates can legitimately turn any other form of energy they purchase green, and sell to consumers at a green premium.

Well that's what I took from it anyway. Reminiscent of the getting around EU fleet emissions fines by the legacy automakers by buying bits of paper from TESLA.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I normally avoid anything emanating from Jeremy Vine, but I heard a minute or two before the news. Did I hear correctly that the unavoidable issue is that green energy is more expensive for the consumer than 'non green' energy ? I might have heard that wrong though. There was something about 2 or 3 of the green suppliers being allowed to increase their prices higher than the energy price cap permits as their energy was costing them more to produce ????
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 15:44 I normally avoid anything emanating from Jeremy Vine, but I heard a minute or two before the news. Did I hear correctly that the unavoidable issue is that green energy is more expensive for the consumer than 'non green' energy ? I might have heard that wrong though. There was something about 2 or 3 of the green suppliers being allowed to increase their prices higher than the energy price cap permits as their energy was costing them more to produce ????
I remember the bit about the 3 green suppliers which are Ecotricity, Good Energy, and Green Energy and although a bit out of date this piece backs up what was said.

Ofgem extends energy price cap exemption for three suppliers
Good Energy, Ecotricity and Green Energy can charge consumers above the standard variable tariff rates set by Ofgem

Unsurprisingly the guest from Good Energy, argued that there was "Green" as provided by her company, and "not so green" being those who offered too cheap tariffs, with the implication that they used purchase of REGO's to green "brown electricity" from fossil fuels.

The market is of course full of suppliers, and hundreds of different green tariffs, you pay your money and you make your choice. In the EV field I can see that Octopus are one of the most active suppliers, but on a personal note for the last, lets say ages, we have been with Spanish giant IBERDROLA's Scottish Wing.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm not sure if this will interest people or not but we have been using Bulb as our supplier for a few years now without any issues at all. Their website reads well for me but I would be interested in other's opinions. You need to click on the " Get to Know our generators" button to get the full story: :)

https://bulb.co.uk/energy/
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm with Shell, they took over First Utility. https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/energy

Both your Bulb company and Shell talk about 'Carbon credits' and I think maybe that follows on from Al Gore's carbon trading platform where countries that burn fossil fuels can buy the credits from countries that don't and pretend they're green.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

This is a decent run through of a number of companies and their green credentials. Not too wordy. In their assessment Bulb comes top of the tree :-D

https://www.t3.com/features/best-green-energy-supplier

It does make this point...
Bear in mind, too, that just because you've signed up to a green energy supplier, there's no guarantee – and no way of ensuring – that what comes out of the National Grid into your home is actually green. However, the energy that goes back in to replace what you've used will be green.

100% Green Electricity despite the flaws of the REGO system can be just about accepted.

From the List various claims are made about their "Green Gas" credentials.
Green Energy UK is the only company which claims to use 100% Green Gas.....biomethane produced only through anaerobic digestion of food and farm waste and other biomass.

Various others claim about 10% Bio methane and then use Carbon Offsets to "Green" run of the mill fossil Natural Gas.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Liked this comment from the Bulb site about their Green Gas
We work with generators who use a variety of feedstocks to produce their renewable gas. For April 2018 - March 2019, the latest data available, the breakdown was:

Purpose-grown crops: 74%
Food or farm waste: 18%
Residues (e.g. vegetable peelings, cereal straw): 8%
We like to think this gas is as natural as your uncle's after a plate of sprouts. And it's produced pretty much in the same way!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

this from a news report today.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

As part of the plan, the government has promised to deliver 4,000 new electric or hydrogen buses that will be built in the UK by the end of this parliament.

It will also end the sale of diesel buses and has launched a consultation to decide when the ban should come into effect.

It said the move will transition cities and regions across the England to emission-free vehicles while protecting the UK's bus manufacturing industry.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

We work with generators who use a variety of feedstocks to produce their renewable gas. For April 2018 - March 2019, the latest data available, the breakdown was:

Purpose-grown crops: 74%
Food or farm waste: 18%
Residues (e.g. vegetable peelings, cereal straw): 8%

Hmmmm.... so growing crops - with their associated fertiliser requirements and harvesting and processing equipment - purely for chopping up and turning into methane is a good thing ? Good job there's an abundance of farming land for this and plentiful supplies of food the world over so we can afford to use farmland for 'burning'. Or maybe not. :-k
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 09:24
This is a decent run through of a number of companies and their green credentials. Not too wordy.
https://www.t3.com/features/best-green-energy-supplier

It does make this point...
Bear in mind, too, that just because you've signed up to a green energy supplier, there's no guarantee – and no way of ensuring – that what comes out of the National Grid into your home is actually green. However, the energy that goes back in to replace what you've used will be green.
I should have read that a bit more closely when it came down to OVO at number 8 bit of energy news that passed me by.
OVO Energy started in 2009 as one of the new breed of digital challenger brands looking to take on the Big Six. Ironically, since acquiring SSE and its 3.5 million customers at the end of 2019, OVO is now technically one of the Big Six, though for now they plan to run the two brands separately.
So the start up, took over SSE and is now a big 6 player. Indeed the UK's second largest energy supplier.

Tariffs and offerings are changing all the time, but from an EV Point of View one of the tariffs offers a 6p/kWh charge for your vehicle "fuel" from your domestic filling station.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... ing-tariff
The UK’s second-largest energy supplier (OVO Energy) will set the tariff at a flat rate of 6p per kilowatt-hour no matter what time of day their customers choose to charge their vehicle, in direct competition with suppliers which offer cut-price charging during set hours overnight.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Its a while since we have had a few posts on Tidal energy, but today up crops a refreshing bit of news reported here

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=64053

and its UK News, and there is an embryonic industry developing some of it in my own back yard down at Blyth, and logically tidal energy is one of the UK's potentially greatest assets.

Read about NOVA Innovation projects here
https://www.novainnovation.com/news/
temp2.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...Moving pictures too...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

First generation wind turbines are now coming to the end of their useful lives although some in Denmark are 43 years old now. Technology and materials develop, but design at the outset to enable maximum recycling when they are eventually decommissioned is part of the advancement.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

OVO and Octopus seem to be the most active in specific EV tariffs, but everyone else will pile in.
Not sure how OVO are going to do it, but they are offering a tariff which charges a different rate for charging your car, than your home energy supply. Home energy supply will be your normal rates on your domestic energy plan, but they are offering a different rate of 6p/kWh for charging your car. Ah yes I see its a trial and spaces on the first trial group for the Drive Anytime tariff are full. :-D
https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars ... pl4n-tr14l

Blog Post with More Information. Monthly Bill at Domestic Plan rates, but credit adjustments calculated and deducted on a monthly basis for the amount of electricity consumed by your smart charger at the 6p/kWh rate.
temp2.png
Octopus offering is for 5p/kWh between 00.30 and 04.30. For all uses, but designed for timed charging up of EV's
We are in the early days and Government still has duties and VAT on Road fuel for Petrol and Diesel as an income stream. With everyone potentially having a "petrol station" at home, and as EV battery range increases, for the majority of the journeys there will be no need for "on-road " refuelling, there is likely to be a catch-up on EV charging at home and its taxation. The domestic smart meter/smart charger route, and OVO's approach of charging different rates for specific usage, may well become the norm, and the Energy companies could well become tax collectors.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey