Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That's absolute magic :D Thanks all :D

Another bit of local history learned!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

ROCLA is the investigation of the Day
Stemming from Jims POTD today
CitroJim wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 08:23 And an explanatory pipe...

It's on the end of a concrete pipe as previously the land was the site of the ROCLA concrete pipe factory...

It was seen as a great opportunity for a pipe factory given there would be tremendous demand for them in the building of Milton Keynes... They were a big employer for a time and successful but sadly it did not last...
Any contributions, trivia and tangents welcome as ever :-D :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Neil, I'll be watching with interest on any ROCLA stuff :)

Surprised to hear they're still going in South Africa! I have a feeling there was some sort of scandal surrounding their MK operation but can't recall any details now...

They've been gone a long time... So long in fact that the site remained derelict for around 20 years whilst Sainsburys struggled to get planning permission to build a bit supermarket on the site...

They failed but many years later Lidl succeeded in building one of theirs nearby...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Here's a little thing for you to follow up Jim, the ROCLA (not the pipe makers methinks) art trail in Milton Keynes:

https://miltonkeyneskids.com/blog/rocla/

But this is where to discover the pipe company's doings:

http://www.rocla.co.za/
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

I have no idea whether the ROCLA which rocked up in Milton Keynes, made concrete pipes and other such things for the creation of Milton Keynes, had anything to do with the South African ROCLA who do the same thing or indeed this other ROCLA from "down under" who also do the same thing in the world of concrete pipes.

They do have, the most interesting and longest history est 1922 and still going today)history proudly discussed on their website. No need to pour through it. I'll extract the gist

Like many great Australian companies, Rocla sprang from humble beginnings in a suburban shed. Two friends – Walter Robertson and Heaton Clarke – registered the company in 1922 and combined the initial letters of their surnames to form the Rocla® brand name. More than 100 years on the Rocla name continues to be associated with high quality concrete products.

Rocla Pty Ltd is a leading Australian supplier of concrete solutions to the building and construction industry. Rocla has been a part of New Zealand’s Fletcher Building group since March 2005.

Rocla provides a uniquely comprehensive range of innovative engineered solutions for stormwater piping, pits, headwalls and Box Culverts, sewerage piping and access systems, irrigation, stormwater detention and treatment, rainwater harvesting, water storage, bridging and earth retention, as well as concrete poles, building columns, boardwalks and railway sleepers.
If there isn't a link its a bit unusual for 3 companies, all called Rocla who made/still make concrete pipes and other concrete castings for building/civil engineering its a huge co-incidence :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nothing to do with Rocla, but I'll give 50 point for an unusual spot for an original photo of concrete lamppost posted on POTD, and 100 points if its a rare swans neck concrete lamppost
ImageImage
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for all the ROCLA stuff :D Most excellent!

Seeing a particular piece of sculpture on MK Kids website, I took a photo of the same yesterday on my run and was going to post it later...

So here it is ;)
bikesculptrhp.jpg
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Trivia Investigation Team-Taylors Mustard

CitroJim wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 07:45 I ran past one of Paggers' prettier buildings this morning - Lovat Bank 🙂

I believe it may have some connection to the famous Taylors Mustard company who used to be based in the town.
I'm sure the Forum Sleuths will soon fill the gaps in my knowledge ;) :)
NEWPORT PAGNELL SILVER STREET SP 84 SE 1/10005 Lovat Bank II
LOvat Bank is listed and was built originally in 1877, by Edward Swinfen Harris, for F J Taylor, mineral water and mustard manufacturer. Domestic Revival style. Red brick, English bond, with some limestone dressings and some timberframed upper floors with brick noggings and gables with plaster infill impressed with sunflower designs. etc

There is plenty on Taylors in this little blog post, not very well set out to navigate with the navigation at the top of the page after you scroll down to the bottom. 5 pages of info
few extracts
Page 1
The business was founded by William Taylor who arrived in Newport Pagnell in 1825 and set up his business in the High Street. It is thought that he was a Cornishman. His business expanded and in 1830 he relocated to land on the other side of the road and opened as an apothecary/ druggist. As the land contained a well, he started developing a soft drinks business, producing sodawater, lithium water and seltzers.
Dont say Paggers is built on a source of the 21st Century's most sought after element!
After a couple of years he started experimenting with preparing mustard and eventually produced the condiment that is still sold today, to the same recipe. The mustard found popularity in high places including the table of King William IV (whose portrait still appears on the jars) and on the ships of the then Royal Navy. It was popular with the Navy because of its strong taste and long life. It easily spiced up salted meat, possibly of dubious quality.
It has more in the subsequent pages but no mention of Lovat Bank.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 26 Apr 2021, 21:54, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well done Neil, I saw Jim's query but I thought I'd keep my head down and wait to read your research and I have not been disappointed!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! Thanks Neil :D Loving the pictures of the earthenware mustard pots :D Aren't they lovely :cool:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

A bit of trivia no doubt, but part of the fabric, of the Off-Topic Chat Lounge of the FCF's own virtual pub.

In my own meanderings I have found only one active pub in the entire world which is called "The Pickled Egg", apart from the FCF's own virtual one. There have been a few others in various parts of the globe but the few have all expired leaving, unless you know different, the original in St Helens as the one and only...

...and this it, in St Helens, 351 Sutton Road.

...and the sad state of affairs it looked like it was a bit neglected when the google camera's passed by in 2011
temp3.png
well the good news is that it appears to have been given a make-over by 2019
temp4.png

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This challenge was thrown down in 2019, and no other pub on planet earth which is called "The Pickled Egg" was found. The challenge is issued again to the 2021 vintage of FCF investigators. :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 12:54 Its good to know that our Virtual Pub The Pickled Egg continues to thrive with its world famous jukebox, quizzes, and the eclectic library.

But, did you know there is only one genuine "Pickled Egg" pub in the entire UK, and as far as I can establish, the only one in the entire world. Here's a challenge.
Using the worldwideweb, or other such research aids you have at your disposal find me another pub on planet earth which is called "The Pickled Egg".

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

On my first venture into this investigation I have come up with 'The Pickled Egg Pub Company' which has a certain connection to the task in hand but as far as I can see they haven't actually named a pub 'The Pickled Egg' -- yet!!

https://www.sand-creative.com/pickledeggpubco

So the research goes on!! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Another connection, a restaurant serving Pub Food!!:

https://www.menuism.com/restaurants/the ... kee-730559

Onward!! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Getting closer, a bar in Pennsylvania did exist but has now closed: :?

https://businessfinder.lehighvalleylive ... -Easton-PA

Forward..... :-D