Xantia steering pump ports

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JoshNZ
My Cars: Nil - parts

Xantia steering pump ports

Post by JoshNZ »

Hi Guys,

Bit of an usual and off-topic question here I hope you guys don't mind, I'm sure the knowledgebase will see me right since google hasn't this time.

I have a steering pump out of a citroen xantia I think, it turned up in my parts drawer along with another hydraulic pump purchase some time ago. I turned it with a drill and noted fluid moving from the top port and also from the bulb (accumulator I assume?) I'm just wondering what's going on here, do the pistons push into a common passage connecting that output port and accumulator port?

I've got a project coming up where a small cylinder will need to be actuated and just fiddling with my bits in the drawer to figure out which one will serve it best, and how to plumb this one if it's suitable. I'm assuming block the bulb and take off the main port? If anyone has any idea the kind of PSI these pumps run that'd be handy too but I won't test my luck!

Thanks in advance of course,
Josh
1.jpg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Xantia steering pump ports

Post by xantia_v6 »

That looks like a 6+2 pump,. Which is actually 2 pumps in one box. A 6 cylinder pump for power steering and a 2 cylinder pump for suspension.
You need to connect the 2 outlets together if you only need one output.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The output pressure is basically unlimited, as it's a positive displacement pump - the Xantia suspension runs at 150-170 bar. You will need some sort of pressure regulator if you are going to connect it to something!
Richard W
JoshNZ
My Cars: Nil - parts

Post by JoshNZ »

I did have it open and thought I only saw 6 pistons (there is 6 torx screw bungs). But maybe the top two bulges (one of which has the hose connected to it) are pistons too? The other bulge is plugged.

In any case that's just the answer I was after thanks. In this application it won't see more than 50-60 bar, it's filling a small cylinder with a light load for a lazy guy xD. Were they reliable enough pumps, longevity wise? I assume they're all check-valve pistons and it can be run in either direction too?