C5 Auto Box Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stu57
My Cars: Citroen C5

C5 Auto Box Problem

Post by Stu57 »

2010 C5 VTR (probably 1.6hdi) very low mileage 35k

This is my mothers car and some distance from where I live so I am trying to get a few pointers so as I can help resolve the problem for her

In full auto the car will not come out of first and in manual mode the car won't go above 3rd.

My first thoughts are to check the oil level and top up if low - can anyone tell me how to do this on this vehicle and what tools I may need. (I have sourced the correct oil). I will have to travel quiet a distance to carry this out so I am wanting to make only the one journey.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 Auto Box Problem

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Before answering, we really need to be sure what you have. If it's a 1.6 then it won't have an automatic box - these were initially a 5 speed manual, then with the 1.6 e-HDi went to the piloted manual 6 speed EGS. So if it's a proper automatic then it's likely to be a 2.0 Litre or larger.

Your Mother may even have the piloted manual box - which acts like an automatic but is not. So we really need the VIN - pop it up here (auto masked) so we can determine what you actually have - as it will save wasting time in referencing issues with actual automatics boxes that may have gone into refuge mode when it may not be a proper automatic.

In either case, you can't just top the oil up if it is an automatic - it needs a proper procedure and must be at a certain temperature and the oil level counter has to be reset after using proper diagnostic equipment. Anyway once we have the VIN we may be able to assist further.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Stu57

Post by Stu57 »

Going to struggle to get the VIN number, I will try my mother later but I doubt she will come up with that,.

Just using the registration for the online mot & insurance status and it seems to be confirming 1560cc & diesel.

When you say "Piloted Box" is this something similar to a HGV automatic where it is basically a normal box controlled automatically by hydraulics and air. I have driven this car once or twice and seem to remember it as a rather poor slow to change clonky auto, nothing like the smooth auto on my wifes merc.

The full description on the insurance documentation says the vehicle is a Citroen C5 VTR +NAV EHDI (1, 1560cc, Diesel Automatic)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right that helps - so you have the e-HDI as I suspected. It's not a proper automatic gearbox with torque converter then.

Yes, this has a standard clutch and manual gearbox with electro-hydraulic actuators (no air) that use hydraulic fluid and an accumulator to build pressure to allow the actuators to change gear and operate the clutch - that's why they're rather clunky.

In some ways this is going to be more of an issue potentially as the hydraulic reservoir on these can't just be topped up (not saying that is the issue), as the system has to be measured and topped up when fully depressurised using Diagbox, otherwise if can be overfilled.

There can be many reasons for the odd behaviour and it really needs diagnosing with Diagbox to find out the fault codes. There are a multitude of fault codes associated with these boxes. There may also be messages on the display / flashing gearbox gear indicator showing. But it is not going to be a simple fix and really does need diagnosing., sorry to say. These can be massively expensive to fix in labour alone - depending on what the issue is. It may just need the calibration re-applied, but we can't say without a diagnostic.

Marc
Stu57

Post by Stu57 »

thanks very much for that.

The advice I was given (and it was second hand advice from a Citroen dealership) was; in 9/10 cases there is a pipe that leaks and causes this issue, I was to go down and top up the reservoir which I was told looked similar to a brake fluid reservoir, and if it then drove OK to bring the car back up to where I live (60 mile away) and he would replace the pipe.. (he is an excellent independent back street mechanic that has been fixing my cars and vans for decades) and in 1/10 cases the car is scrap as it won't be worth fixing

I'm just trying to get a second opinion.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, very wise. We have members with these systems fitted to various PSA vehicles and it has been prohibitively expensive to fix, but just be prepared - I do hope it is only a pipe, but if you manage to get any messages or fault codes, so let us know and I can probably provide an explanation.

Marc