Gearbox bolting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Colin2206
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 207 CC

Gearbox bolting

Post by Colin2206 »

I've been forced to take the gearbox off, due to a slipping clutch (new clutch fitted less than a year ago). Exterior of the bell housing is wet with oil so looks like a seal has gone. The preparation is all done, and what a job that was! Everything is sitting on jacks at the moment. I am looking for a bolting diagram for the bell-house to engine flange.

The car is the Peugeot 207CC, 1.6VTI engine, 5 speed manual, 2008 plate (and yes, I know its a hairdressers car but the wife likes it).

If you know where I can download one that would be great.

Colin.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Gearbox bolting

Post by CitroJim »

What do you mean by a bolting diagram Colin?

Essential you find the source of that oil leak and fix it before putting kit all back together... Was it oil contamination that caused the clutch to fail?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Colin2206
(Donor 2022)

Post by Colin2206 »

Sorry, didn't explain myself properly.
The job is ongoing; all that is holding the gearbox in place is an exhaust support and the bell-house bolts (I hope). Getting a clear view of the bolts is near impossible, so if I can get a diagram then I will have confidence that when I am lying on my back, struggling, on the cold concrete floor that I have got them all and not have to be up and down finding hidden ones.
I'll be doing that after brunch and mopping the kitchen floor.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gotcha!

I believe all the bellhousing bolts will be fairly obvious but be aware there may, like on the earlier 'boxes, be one facing the other way on the diff. housing that's very easy to miss... On the BE3 'box used on XU/D engines it was Allen headed which made it even more obscure :)

If the gearbox doesn't easily separate - remember there'll also be a couple of dowels holding it - then there's at least one bellhousing bolt still in place!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Colin2206
(Donor 2022)

Post by Colin2206 »

Well, I had my brunch, finished by domestics and went back to the gearbox.
It went much as I thought; two of the little sods tried to hide but I got them in the end. I was really perplexed when the box refused to separate from the engine. Tried tapping with blocks of wood, rocking back and forth, jacking up and down, traced the flange a dozen times looking for more bolts; even considered praying. And then, of course, it opened up. Nearly killed myself manoeuvring out but got there in the end. As well as the dowels, there appears to be at least two studs with torx type male heads as well as the standard nut. Not sure if these are meant to be removed, I didn't.
The inside of the bell-house is black, which is probably burnt oil; the gearbox shaft seems a bit greasy to me but I don't have anything to judge against. However, when I look up above the bell-house flange there is a lot of oil, (camshaft cover seal) so that could be another source of contamination. I haven't taken off the clutch yet but I'll replace the crankshaft seal anyway.
I can't see a gearbox shaft seal listed. If anyone knows how the shaft is sealed, please let me know. I hope to order parts tomorrow.