How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

Post by Paul-R »

One further point. The Jukebox partition in the SMEG+ is formatted in FAT32 so, if yours is also FAT32, then you could look to see what is in this third partition in the RT6. This is what I did for the SMEG+ and made my decision to reduce its size easy for me.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Slight Liszt
My Cars: Owned: Citroen GS, Pug 504, 505GTI, 205GTI, 508.

Post by Slight Liszt »

I don't want to appear to be hijacking this thread, but I have just joined and apparently cannot yet start a new thread.
2013 Peugeot 508 2.0 HDi.
VIN VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

I have the phantom RT6 intermittent failure in my Pug 508 and would appreciate some guidance as to diagnosing the fault and a possible fix.

The local Peugeot dealer having done a diagnostic check and quoted AU$3,250. for a new SMEG unit (Smeg should stick to making ovens and stoves tops) I turned to surfing the net and I gather it could be a hardware (RT6) fault, a firmware fault or a MicroSD fault. But which.

RT6 Fault symptoms.
Nav Map became slower and slower to load over a week or so.
Nav Map then loaded with white boxes scattered over map.
Nav Map loading became intermittent until loading less than once a week.
At the same time Audio (Radio, iPhone & Parkings sensors) loaded intermittently.
Audio sometimes loaded, but often the audio controls were inactive. e.g. No volume control on Audio panel or Steering wheel.

When system did load to any extent, it was always on first start up in the morning, and rarely again for any subsequent start up during the day.

Attempted fixes.
Followed the excellent GiveMeABreak’s BSI reset.

After completing the BSI reset, I inserted the RT6 CD 2.20E software that came with the car. (Note; I’m not sure if this is actually a Firmware CD or simply the Australian Maps.)
A few seconds later the following message appeared:
“Disk Check . . .”
“Error during flasher loading . . . “
“Product restart in 5s, 4s, 3s, 2s, 1s,” then blank screen.
The system then attempted further reboots with no result.

I purchased an RT6-RT6 FF Software CD 2.86 ( on 25th Nov., from China???) and am awaiting delivery.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Pete
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

HI

It's possible the Micro SD card is failing and that a replacement may resolve the issues - as long as it is not the main unit that is failing. Forget ordering firmware from the Chinese - it is freely available!

I will provide you with a link to my file server for a slightly earlier version and also the later version via Private Message.

Use a FAT32 bit formatted USB drive: and try with the earlier 2.77 version first to see if that helps. If 2.77 does not fix it, then there is no point in trying with 2.86 and the 2.86 will also likely reset the system requiring the dealer to reconfigure the unit for you as you may well lose options and functionality.

So try 2.77 first.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Slight Liszt
My Cars: Owned: Citroen GS, Pug 504, 505GTI, 205GTI, 508.

Post by Slight Liszt »

Marc,
You're an absolute gem.

I shall follow your instructions and report back.

Thanks,
Pete.
PS. I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in Wales.
Pete
norb7
New User
My Cars: Peugeot 508

Post by norb7 »

Hello!

Looks like I have also issue with SD card. SD card is 10 years old. My unit is not power on anymore. The fan continously by sequence spin up, but screen is blank. My question is, that should I reinstall the right firmware or can I install an older one? Last time in a dealer shop I just ask for the upgrade to latest one, which as I remember was the 2.86, but I am nut sure. I have a original CD but with an older one from 2014. Right now I don't know exactly the version. (CD is in the car). So what do you think, is it possible to install the older version, like to do a downgrade?

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You can't downgrade the firmware - as it also updates the system. I would stick with the firmware that you had last updated it to (2.86) if that's what was installed.

Marc
Freezaa
My Cars: 508 RXH 2012

Post by Freezaa »

Hi,

I hope to get some help here.
I recently bought a 2012 508 RXH.
I needed to get one of the side windows changed.

After the change the whole headunit didnt work anymore. Just a black screen. They obviously say they didnt do anything in regards to the electrics at all. Maybe just bad luck from my side.

Anyways I tried everything recommend, so far nothing helped. I did some BSI resets and changed the SD card. I ruled out a faulty screen because I can see it flicker when hard resetting via eject button and it also lights up. After the sd card change i tried using a fw cd but it just spits it out after a few seconds. I also tried a USB. It seems to read from it, but after some time you can hear the cd drive making some noise and it seems like the headunit is rebooting. While changing i noticed something that looked like coffee stains on the headunit. Maybe someone spilled some coffee a long time ago and that problem has been brewing for a while because of it. But I couldnt notice any major damages from it.

Any ideas what else I could try? I doesnt even seem to get to any proper bootloader.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think you may have jumped the gun a bit by trying to load firmware whilst there is an issue. If the system developed a fault immediately after the work, then it's reasonable to assume the garage have either not followed procedures with regards to the electrical equipment before repairing the window (and I assume the have had to remove electrics for wither the regulator or with regard to the door electrics whilst undertaking the work).

You really need to get Diagbox on the vehicle to see what a diagnostic reveals in terms of the problem - whether it has any communication with the unit or whether there are other faults - possibly with the BSI. I assume you didn't have the work done at a dealer?

Marc
Freezaa
My Cars: 508 RXH 2012

Post by Freezaa »

No. It was covered by insurance and done at a specialized place that only does window replacements. Only thing I could imagine that they did was just disconnecting the battery.

So I should put back the old SD and get a diagnosis check at a Peugeot dealer?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would certainly do that and start from the basics, otherwise you can compound any problem.

Replacing the SD card can be laden with issues on its own, especially with later firmware, which can leave the unit locked needing a dealer to reconfigure your vehicle options to regain functionality.

If you put the original SD card back in, you can at least rule out this issue as long as you haven’t tried to upload any new firmware to the system, as that can also write to the onboard chips as well as the SD card.

Then get it diagnosed with Diagbox for any fault codes and that will bring up any other issues with the vehicle that may be relevant.

Marc
Masterclass
My Cars: C5 x7 2.2 hdi 204

Post by Masterclass »

hi guys probably you had enough of this subject and i apologize in advance, but I just need to ask couple of questions to clarify how to go about. I have the Rneg2 CEM00 on my citroen c5 2012 exclusive, the head unit has its own mind sometimes it works for hours or days but can not find satellites and sometimes it does not start at all , I was thinking to upgrade the software ( my current one is 2.60) and changing micro sd card in case it fixes the glitches , but as i was reading through the threads i am afraid to go and upgrade to 2.86 in case i end up needing calibration at citroen , is it safer to upgrade to 2.77 (can anyone please let me know the citroen part number so i can order genuine cd) or will I need calibration even in this case.
The other question is I have a brand new unopened 32gb with 130mb/s micro sd card , can i use this card or do I need to buy another one with less Gb.
I would greatly appreciate if someone can help.
Kind regards
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@ Masterclass:

Can you be a little more specific on the issues? Lack of satellites can be down to the GPS aerial failing, so that should be investigated before anything else. A cheap sub - £10 GPS aerial with appropriate FAKRA connector can be bought to test the satellite issue - BUT it is imperative that the car usually be driven after replacing it for 10 minutes or so to allow the module to locate the satellites as standing still is not sufficient. That would determine if the GPS aerial was faulty or not.

As far as the firmware update is concerned, the standard microSD card is 8Gb, but you can use at least a 16Gb version Class 10 but the system will create the partitions it needs accordingly, so will probably not utilise all the additional capacity.

As your current firmware version is 2.60, then after any later update, you WILL need it calibrated / configured at the dealer, regardless. I think this was a default factory install and not a version that was released as an upgrade. So considering this, may want to consider updating to the latest version if you are actually going to update it. So you will need to get the dealer to calibrate and update the RT6 after you apply it otherwise your functions and options will very likely not be working.

Marc
Masterclass

Post by Masterclass »

@GiveMeABreak
Thank you very much for taking your time to help meI realy apreciate it .I am sorry I was not very clear on the issues, as well as not finding satellites the head unit does not power up for days sometimes ,than it can work for few hours or days and then it goes off again. I will buy the new aerial as advised and try and do the update to 2.86 (is this the latest version and does it include the maps aswell or do I need another disc just for the maps to install). Do you recommend any Citroen service in London that can do the calibration or should I just call the nearest to me and try my luck.
Once again thank you very much and apologize for all the questions but this is all new to me and I am not good on technical part.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, no worries. So as far as the maps go, no those are separate. The Firmware is like the operating system update to fix bugs and issues.

If you have issues with the system as described the the internal SD card replacement may help as the memory cells do 'wear out' over time as they only have a finite number of times data can be written to them.

See how you go with the update and then you'll be in a better position to see about the satellites. I would focus first on getting the system up and operating properly before you deal with the map updates - as these will write data to the internal SD card - so that has to be operating correctly first of all.

As for the calibration / configuration, just call up your local Citroen dealer and tell them you need the RT6 (eMYWay) unit configuration via internet and the calibration file applied as you have had to have the internal SD card replaced so need the vehicle options re-applied.

The official Citroen map website is here:

https://citroen.navigation.com/home/en_ ... enEMEA/GBP

Marc
Masterclass

Post by Masterclass »

Hi Marc
Thank you very much you have been a great help
All the best
Ali