C1 no oil on dipstick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

james125

C1 no oil on dipstick

Post by james125 »

A friend of mine isn't really into cars. Asked me to help him change a battery on his C1 we started it up and it sounded rough. I asked him when was the last time that he checked the oil. Turns out he never has in 5 years. No servicing either apparently he though an MOT was a service. He has but 20k miles on it.

The dipstick had no oil on just a brown stain. The oil cap had burnt itself on. A real struggle to get it off. Turned the engine off straight away. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see the dash for lights. He said they weren't any but take that with a pinch of salt. I assume it has a oil pressure switch light?

Anyway I donated him so oil and encouraged him to get a service. He said he got 2.5 litres of oil in. Not far from the 3.1 litre capacity.

Do you think I have saved it? Or will it spin a bearing?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C1 no oil on dipstick

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well hard to say - time will tell, but this car is essentially a Toyota Aygo, so there's nothing Citroen (C1) or Peugeot (107) about it apart from a bit of styling.

That bit about the MOT and the service did crack me up though!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

james125 wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 12:10 The dipstick had no oil on just a brown stain.
This is normal, given the engine was already running.
But it isn't a good sign on a cold, not running engine - should be between the marks on the dipstick (given the correct one is fitted ;) ).

drBR
Martin
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A mate of mine's partner has an early C1. He told me that he got in it one day to find the oil light on, when he questioned them about it they said whenever it did that they just kept restarting the car until the light didn't come on :shock: He topped up the oil :-D This was a year or two ago - the car still runs fine ! :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

He may be lucky and get away with this thanks to the cars Toyota basis. A friend of mine had a Toyota Picnic 2.0l which she ran for 6 years without opening the bonnet, only about 6000 miles pa but nevertheless that's still 36000 miles without attention! When I finally got to service it for her we had to remove the oil filter sludge with a chisel to give you an idea, but it never failed to start and ran well for the whole time. Sadly that experience has convinced her completely that cars do not need maintenance other than things to pass an MOT. So now she runs a C4 Picasso 1.6HDi on the same principals and so far she hasn't broken down. I have tried to convince her of the folly for years but I've given up now and am waiting to see what gives up first!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

One of my more indiosyncratic school teachers ran a VW Beetle for years. One day it just stopped, ouside Ealing Bdy station. When we got there, someone checked the dipstick. Zilch, bone dry. Most of 5 litres of GTX were poured in, and the car duly cranked into life again.
"Angus," we asked him, "When was the last time you checked the oil in this car?"
"Oil?" he looked puzzled. "No, no - it's air cooled..."
:shock:
Chris