First day thread

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Its February 1st 2021....anything goes

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I've had a bit of a delve into the story, original documents. One bit of it I wondered if it had some part in the James Bond story. I know that James Bond comes from the author of an ornithology book on Birds of the West Indies but
when I read this I wonder if the origins of the "Licence to kill" trace back to the activity of Francis Walsingham Elizabeth R's "Spymaster", and his "Bond of Association" effectively a licence to kill.

Sir Francis Walsingham (c. 1532 – 6 April 1590) was principal secretary to Queen Elizabeth I of England from 20 December 1573 until his death and is popularly remembered as her "spymaster".

The Bond of Association - p474 My Heart is My Own: The Life of Mary Queen of Scots by John Guy describes the Bond of Association as "a licence to kill". Anyone signing the Bond, which was drawn up by Cecil and Walsingham in 1584 after the 1583 Throckmorton plot, was swearing to "pursue as well by force of arms as by all other means of revenge" anyone plotting to cause harm to the Queen.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 01 Feb 2021, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Well this parcel arrived this morning:
Own work
Own work
So I duly got to work to open and investigate:
Own work
Own work
Aha! I thought, I looked out the window, not nice so I added it to my things to do pile on the sideboard
Own work
Own work
which includes this, what is it?
Own work
Own work
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 13:11
The Bond of Association - p474 My Heart is My Own: The Life of Mary Queen of Scots by John Guy describes the Bond of Association as "a licence to kill". Anyone signing the Bond, which was drawn up by Cecil and Walsingham in 1584 after the 1583 Throckmorton plot, was swearing to "pursue as well by force of arms as by all other means of revenge" anyone plotting to cause harm to the Queen.

Regards Neil
:

Your theory may hold water Neil but I have had a quick root through my library of Bond information books but I can only find the references to the Ornithologist so I can't add anything at this point. However another FCF spooky occurred!!

This was on an email I got this morning:
From email
From email
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 13:54 However another "FCF spooky" occurred!!
"FCF spooky" is a good phrase for such an occurrence. The chances of me posting about the subject today were less than zero and selecting a paragraph with Throckmorton in it even less. Of even less probability, that the process would coincide with your e-mail arriving with the Throckmorton Arms on it.

Doesn't fall into the normal category of familiarity phenomenon which may just have accounted for the Infinity Q 50 on Saturday, a definite "FCF Spooky".

Regards Neil

PS I dont know what your spring loaded pin is for. Doesnt look too heavy duty or robust. Lightweight shelf keeper upper.

I notice you have those drop links to do. If they are anything like ones I have had to do you may have to have your angle grinder or dremel handy. I dumped them into my personal Room 101.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

To prevent this rumbling on, the spring loaded widget is the broken sprung detent which goes in the gear selector mechanism to hold the gearstick where you put it. Sadly I attempted to fit it and found it has the same problem as my original. I believe it should have retaining"feet" at the bottom of the three legs and they break off allowing the whole thing to shoot out of its socket as the gear lever moves into park. A pain but I 'll not give up on it yet, may post for some parts info later!! :-D

As for the drop links I replaced them with cheap ones in August before the September Stroll but the nearside is rumbling again so this time I have gone for a better quality pair. I'm not expecting any angle grinder issues as they've only been on there for 6 months :)
NewcastleFalcon

nice texture bit blurred February 1st 2021 Ducks
nice texture bit blurred February 1st 2021 Ducks
daffodils emerging February 1st 2021
daffodils emerging February 1st 2021
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Its March 1st 2021....anything goes

Has February Zipped by :?:

No theme from me, just mark the first day of a new month with a random post or two, or three any subject and shove them on here.

Thread expires midnight tonight.

Regards Neil
March 1st 2021 is..<br />Blue sky and fluffy pussy willow
March 1st 2021 is..
Blue sky and fluffy pussy willow
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Its March 1st 2021....anything goes

March 1st 2021 is...
one of last years Cygnets <br />Still a bit stubby and grey
one of last years Cygnets
Still a bit stubby and grey
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 605 V6 SII
406 D9 SV
Xantia SX wagon SII
Xantia Activa TCT (unregistered)

Post by Armidillo »

Well it's just gone March 2nd here now (time I went to bed), but since we're using your clock there's no problem!

Just heard a rodent scuttling along the runway in the ceiling. As it's the first day of Autumn (oops - 2nd now), I suspect they're setting up winter quarters. I've put out glue traps and poison baits, but so far they're showing no interest in either. C'est la vie!
NewcastleFalcon

Armidillo wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 13:22 Well it's just gone March 2nd here now (time I went to bed), but since we're using your clock there's no problem!

Just heard a rodent scuttling along the runway in the ceiling. As it's the first day of Autumn (oops - 2nd now), I suspect they're setting up winter quarters. I've put out glue traps and poison baits, but so far they're showing no interest in either. C'est la vie!
Yes good to hear from you the FCF is global and all the better for it :-D

Here's the calendar on our fridge Spring daffodils and Cute Red Squirrel :-D and nicely blurred photography from me :-D

Happy Autumn :-D
DSC05178.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nothing but gloom here, then fog, then sun, then fog again and back to gloom.

Had a couple of photo's but the camera is keeping me waiting.
AA290390.JPG
AA250386.JPG
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

We actually had to go out today to replenish hedgehog food stocks so we took the opportunity to grab a take away and parked in a cul-de-sac in a nearby village for an in car picnic lunch. Opposite where we parked were these two street items: :)
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: March 1st 2021 is

Post by CitroJim »

Now that's a very unusual streetlight... Is is still sodium or has it been converted to LED?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: March 1st 2021 is

I'm not certain as I have not been down that cul-de-sac when it is lit, The head is very wide and flat and appears to have 2 squares within it which I believe to be LED arrays. Unfortunately the head is very ' silhouetted' on the pictures but if you zoom right in on the head in the head only picture I think you can make out the squares/shapes I mean. It is not likely that I will be going back there after dark but I will find out what I can and report back. I will say that the vast majority of lamps in our area have been converted! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: First day thread

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, those two squares would certainly suggest LED Mick...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...