Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by Gibbo2286 »

We have of course been down a similar road before, the removal of lead from petrol caused the same problem as many cars needed work to get them to run on it,, hardened valve seats mainly and ignition timing adjustments, that also added to the costs of motoring because it pulled down the mpg figures.

I was on both ends of the lead saga, I recall when it was first added to petrol post war in the early 1950s we were adjusting the timing the other way, advancing it to take advantage of the better fuel. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 08:34 would you be breaking the law? :?:
Somewhere there will be UK Fuel Standards Regulations which permits the sale of specified motor fuels which meet those standards. If there were not leaded petrol would still be being made and on sale and there would be no legal teeth to introduce the change to E10, or indeed before it E5. Whether E0 is on that list, I would think not.

So in the large scale of things, making and selling E0 in the UK I would expect to be illegal already, and if they are planning to phase out E5, again that has to have some legally enforceable basis through standards of motor fuel approved for sale to make it happen.

Making E0 in a Heath Robinson arrangement in your own shed would be an impossible to police activity whether it is specifically illegal or not. Could easily be made illegal if it isn't already, to discourage the activity but some people will do it and are doing it as youtube will testify.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Thought that was going to be a good news story for the UK Gibbo with a new component supplier starting up an electric motor factory, but its more on the global side...from our friends over on the continent :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 10:05
Thought that was going to be a good news story for the UK Gibbo with a new component supplier starting up an electric motor factory, but its more on the global side...from our friends over on the continent :-D

Regards Neil
Not entirely Neil, the old Lucas lot is part of the group and their UK HQ is in Hereford
https://www.schaeffler.co.uk/content.sc ... index.jsp
NewcastleFalcon

Esso Fuel Frequently asked questions from Esso's own mouth.

E5 is not what I thought it was, it is not 5% ethanol, it means anything from 0% to 5% ethanol, and of course is on sale at every forecourt across the country.
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels-faqs
The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 and 99 grade petrol).

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97 and Synergy Supreme+ 99 ) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland and NW England). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area, Scotland or NW England. The European standard BS EN228 covers the requirements for 0-5% ethanol unleaded petrol, the labelling requirement for zero % ethanol is E5 (as is up to 5%), a E0 label doesn’t exist. We understand that this is confusing if you are looking for zero % ethanol fuel, but as advised we can confirm that our Supreme Unleaded fuel supplied in areas except those listed (Devon, Cornwall, Teeside, Scotland and NW England) is ethanol free.
Never knew that, apparently big oil companies are not precise enough to produce a fuel which does what it says on the tin, ie one which precisely includes 5% ethanol, and the EU labelling and standards are so imprecise that E5 means anything from 0% to 5%. I wonder if E10 will mean anything from 6% to 10%, anything from 0% to 10%, or does it actually mean 10%.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

One has to wonder if the excepted zones in Esso's statement are because the fuel supplied in those areas is supplied by a different company under the Esso label. I know when I was working at Grangemouth back in the 80's tankers from all sorts of companies were arriving and filling up from the same outlets. Thus Texaco, Jet, Elf, BP, Regent (remember them?) and others were all selling the same fuel under their own name. A notable name missing was Shell but that may have been because it was a BP operated refinery I don't know. Anyhow its all pretty much out of date now but I do wonder if it is a clue to Esso's excluded areas? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Aviation (jet) fuel, and fuel for Navy shipping, the same - piped around a national grid, with various companies' product feeding it.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It was the same at Diglis Lock Worcester Mick, I saw pretty well all the companies loading their tankers from the same storage tanks including the supermarkets Tesco etc. back in the sixties.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Gibbo2286 wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 13:29 It was the same at Diglis Lock Worcester Mick, I saw pretty well all the companies loading their tankers from the same storage tanks including the supermarkets Tesco etc. back in the sixties.
Are you sure about the 60's Eric? I didn't think Tesco started selling petrol until the mid 70's!! :o :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Certainly the sixties Mick, the company I worked for had a showroom in Broad Street Worcester where at times I would manage when needed, that's when I used to go by the lock. Tesco were into petrol at that time, maybe in a much smaller way than later, Jet were also one of the main lot using the site together with a few indies with no name. :)

I moved down here in September 1965.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well that is interesting Eric, I have found several sources saying Tesco started petrol sales in 1973/4 eg:
https://www.tescoplc.com/about/our-history/
https://web.archive.org/web/20110829033 ... arket.html

so I wonder if the tankers you saw were collecting fuel for their own use at their distribution centres. They must have been running a huge fleet and buying their fuel in bulk would make sense in common with their general purchasing policies!
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 13:52 JLR to make Jaguar brand electric-only by 2025

Getting to the stage now, where car companies not making similar announcements are the exception.

REgards Neil
Over to you Volvo for your turn

Volvo plans to only sell electric cars by 2030, says internal combustion engine has no future

and there's more hybrids get the boot by Volvo by 2030 too whether self, mild, or Plug in
from the horses mouth
Volvo Cars is committed to becoming a leader in the fast-growing premium electric car market and plans to become a fully electric car company by 2030. By then, the company intends to only sell fully electric cars and phase out any car in its global portfolio with an internal combustion engine, including hybrids.
How long before Stellantis make their announcement that 2030 is totally achievable and drop their we need more time position :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Maybe we should stop talking about Volvo and refer to it as Geely. :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 12:15 Maybe we should stop talking about Volvo and refer to it as Geely. :)
Would that be the Geely Geely that joined forces with Offenhauser in a tiny house by a tiny stream? :-D
Spoiler: show
(SPOKEN: Ah, Good Morning, kidlets.
I'm going to tell you a story in song about
what happened in Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen
Bogen By The Sea.)

There’s a tiny house (There's a tiny house)
By a tiny stream (By a tiny stream)
Where a lovely lass (Where a lovely lass)
Had a lovely dream (Had a lovely dream)
And her dream came true (And her dream came true)
Quite unexpectedly
In Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea

She was out one day (She was out one day)
Where the tulips grow (Where the tulips grow)
When a handsome lad (When a handsome lad)
Stopped to say hello (Stopped to say hello)
And before she knew (And before she knew)
He kissed her tenderly

The happy pair were married one Sunday afternoon
They left the church and ran away to spend their
honeymoon
In a tiny house (In a tiny house)
By a tiny stream (By a tiny stream)
Where the lovely lass (Where the lovely lass)
Had a lovely dream (Had a lovely dream)
And the last I heard (And the last I heard)
They still live happily

So now you've heard the story of how it all begun
(I think I'd like to go there)
That's a good idea, Son!

Sing it very soft (Sing it very soft)
Pianissimo (Pianissimo)
Like a little bird (Like a little bird)
Walking in the snow (Walking in the snow)
That was very nice (That was very nice)
Now sing it merrily
It's Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The
Sea
Ssshhhhhhhh!