Xantia II 3.0 V6 Doseur Valve Return Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Xantia II 3.0 V6 Doseur Valve Return Leak

Post by Scottculli »

iv been fixing a few leaks I've had on the xantia with my free time in the lockdown, the last one that I've got is the top return line that's connected to the break doseur, I've just hit a snag in trying to repair it, and i would appreciate any of your help, I've got to the part where I've removed the two 11mm nuts that secure it to the bulkhead and i can now move it a little from the where it was, the problem is I just cant seem to be able to move it enough to get access to the clip that is holding it on, and was afraid of moving it to much as I wasn't sure if this would break any of the pipes, I've read you should be able to pull it out and be able to twist it to gain access :? but for me it moves a little bit but like a spring, shoots back into its place, secondly if i did need to remove it, to pipes to gain access both the supply pipes are inaccessible as the ac pipes block it, it a bit of a weird problem i just cant seem to get my head around and i thought it would be best to ask those who have done it before hat i should do rather than force something and break it.
Thanks Scott
haksri
My Cars: polo trendline

Re: Xantia II 3.0 V6 Doseur Valve Return Leak

Post by haksri »

Consistently the dosing tube is wet and shrouded in hasten close to the siphon head. It's trickling on the floor and clearly nothing but bad. I had a go at changing tubing and in any event, changing to another head, yet they all break. Any thoughts? What's going on?

snaptube vidmate
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Scottculli wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:14 iv been fixing a few leaks I've had on the xantia with my free time in the lockdown, the last one that I've got is the top return line that's connected to the break doseur, I've just hit a snag in trying to repair it, and i would appreciate any of your help, I've got to the part where I've removed the two 11mm nuts that secure it to the bulkhead and i can now move it a little from the where it was, the problem is I just cant seem to be able to move it enough to get access to the clip that is holding it on, and was afraid of moving it to much as I wasn't sure if this would break any of the pipes, I've read you should be able to pull it out and be able to twist it to gain access :? but for me it moves a little bit but like a spring, shoots back into its place, secondly if i did need to remove it, to pipes to gain access both the supply pipes are inaccessible as the ac pipes block it, it a bit of a weird problem i just cant seem to get my head around and i thought it would be best to ask those who have done it before hat i should do rather than force something and break it.
Thanks Scott
Scott - I don't think the title of the thread is very helpful as it doesn't mention the vehicle and your profile doesn't specify what model, series / year / engine either.

If you pop your VIN up (automatically masked) I can amend the thread accordingly once I know exactly what vehicle we are talking about and that may help others chip in.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 11:23
Scottculli wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 16:14 iv been fixing a few leaks I've had on the xantia with my free time in the lockdown, the last one that I've got is the top return line that's connected to the break doseur, I've just hit a snag in trying to repair it, and i would appreciate any of your help, I've got to the part where I've removed the two 11mm nuts that secure it to the bulkhead and i can now move it a little from the where it was, the problem is I just cant seem to be able to move it enough to get access to the clip that is holding it on, and was afraid of moving it to much as I wasn't sure if this would break any of the pipes, I've read you should be able to pull it out and be able to twist it to gain access :? but for me it moves a little bit but like a spring, shoots back into its place, secondly if i did need to remove it, to pipes to gain access both the supply pipes are inaccessible as the ac pipes block it, it a bit of a weird problem i just cant seem to get my head around and i thought it would be best to ask those who have done it before hat i should do rather than force something and break it.
Thanks Scott
Scott - I don't think the title of the thread is very helpful as it doesn't mention the vehicle and your profile doesn't specify what model, series / year / engine either.

If you pop your VIN up (automatically masked) I can amend the thread accordingly once I know exactly what vehicle we are talking about and that may help others chip in.
Sorry about that, i typed it up with so much frustration, after spending about a week trying to solve it i never even thought about the useful stuff that mite help :rofl2: the car is a s2 exclusive that i have inherited of my dad, made in 1998 and the engine is the 3l v6 model, its been sitting a while so the hoses have started to deteriorate so im just repairing them as i find them, i hope that helps if theres any more info i can find ill post it on.
Thanks Scott
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so I've amended the thread title now, which may get a bit more interest from the Xantia fraternity :wink:

Marc
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 19:12 Ok, so I've amended the thread title now, which may get a bit more interest from the Xantia fraternity :wink:
Ah thanks for that, that does explain a lot i was wondering why it was particularly quite, as everyone here is super help-full and are always will to give advice, good job it’s rectified :-D
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

It seems you have a problem with the space around the valve, but you know, what should be done with the pipes -> they should be leak tight.
Don't see how all the fraternity here, or what'eva this means, can replace the actual hands-on experience...
...but as Sancho says - the salami seems better... :rofl2:
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

ksanturion10 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 00:07 Don't see how all the fraternity here, or what'eva this means, can replace the actual hands-on experience...
Fraternity: "A group of people sharing a common profession or interests" :geek:

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I can't offer much help, because despite having owned 4 or 5 Xantia V6s, I have never needed to work on the doseur valve. I am not sure which "clip" you are referring to in the first post above.

Maybe you just have to pull a little harder to bend the steel pipes a little?

If your problem is a lack of working space behind the engine (I can't remember exactly where the valve sits relative to the cylinder head), you can create a bit more space by undoing the top engine mount (the one that carries the vertical load to the chassis) and the stabiliser link, then jack the engine up a little and push the top of the engine towards the radiator and wedge it with a block of wood.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

xantia_v6 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 01:29

Maybe you just have to pull a little harder to bend the steel pipes a little?
This is the thing which i keep thinking about, i know its a pipe and that pipes can bend into all shapes if you want them to, because I'm new to it i just don't have the feel for when i should have a delicate touch and when i should just yank it out,the break supply pipe seem to be full of tension when i try pulling it that im afraid it will snap, but if you guys think it should be fine just to pull it out then that what i will go with.
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

OK, now I remember, what it was with mine :)
The upper, plastic, return pipe had popped out of the rubber one, which is clipped to the doseur.
It might be just easier to try push it back a little further past the stop bubble, than dismantling the valve. It is tricky, but doable on LHD.
Try cleaning the valve, so you are able to spot exactly the leaking connections.
The lower, rubber, return pipe should have connection with the return from the ABS, and somewhere onto the tank's octopus.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

xantia_v6 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 01:29 I am not sure which "clip" you are referring to in the first post above.
its the little ear pipe chollar that they use for the flexible hoses

"If your problem is a lack of working space behind the engine"
its not the actual space to get into that's the problem its just all the access i need to get to the pipes, are blocked of and to get my tools to is to tight to fit in the space , as it a right hand drive model the lay out is a bit different and it makes getting access feel harder.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

ksanturion10 wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 11:59 OK, now I remember, what it was with mine :)
"The upper, plastic, return pipe had popped out of the rubber one, "
yep its very the same type of problem, its just the is so little room to fit my hand in the space, let alone any tools to get the ear pipe collar off, so that's why I thought about taking the doseur of the bulk head, and removing the supply pipes would be the best solution, but I was hopping not to have to do that and just get away with taking the doseur of the bulkhead and bending the pipes to give me space to get to the return pipe, but the pies don't seem to bend and I don't want to snap them off, just woundering what i should do?
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The "bubble" on the nylon return pipes is not meant as a 'stop', but as extra grip, and so should be pushed into the rubber elbow/joint a short distance, so that the rubber closes in behind it. That way, less likely to pop out.
Chris
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

Tell this to the leakage return pipe fitters at Citroen's factories ;)