No RD4 Radio, No Horn, No Heater Blower and No Central Locking, (ALL SOLVED!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomc71
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR 1.4 HDI 2008
Lexus RX400h 2005
Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 crd 2006

Re: RD4 Radio

Post by tomc71 »

Thanks, I'll take the radio win for today and focus back on horn and central locking tomorrow, you never know, some waggling around of connectors into the coms unit might prove fruitful as lexia is telling me there is dialogue but is showing a question mark in the fault column. I'll update then, Tom
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So it is possible that the fob may have been replaced with an aftermarket one that isn't firing on all thrusters.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 22:23 So it is possible that the fob may have been replaced with an aftermarket one that isn't firing on all thrusters.
I had it checked by a locksmith after changing the battery, he said it's putting out good power.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's not the power that's the issue Tom, it's the correct frequency and protocols that are different depending on what fob is correct for the vehicle.

Marc
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

Thanks Mark, a difficult one to check, I'm using the correct 2 button flip-key remote which is accepted by Lexia as part of the key programming function, I appreciate this is only checking that; 1) the key is cut correctly and 2) The transponder (RFID) chip is correct but given that I also found an old remote PCB taped around the ignition barrel I would not be surprised, (FYI this has now been removed and the flip key re-programmed by Lexia and now functional but the ignition-hold lock for 5 seconds etc function still having no impact on remote locking/unlocking).

I have focused on the horn, (I could see it responding on the Lexia actuator test) so assumed it was the horn itself as I could hear the relay clicking in the engine fuse box, when I went to check it I could not find it, after removing nearside headlight, front bumper and nearside front wheel liner I was getting very confused, I eventually found two cut wires in a nearby loom, on putting a voltmeter to the wires, found they were on a permanent 12v. I presume the relay had got stuck on and someone had simply cut the entire horn and feeder wires out. I've ordered a second hand BSM from Ebay, (£35) as mine also had melting around the internal blower fuse (!!!) so will await to see if that helps with the central locking at all. (unlikely but you never know). Incidentally, I didn't know relays could be stuck on and still click?

Will update on progress... this is my first ever French car since owning a Renault 5 in the early 90's, I'm astounded by the sheer number of electrical issues, is this normal??

Thanks,

Tom
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sounds like Mr bodgit and leggit has been let loose in the past, so no telling what damage has been caused.... :(

Marc
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

OK latest update, the used BSM off eBay turned up and I grabbed an old Citroen horn and wiring, we now have a steering wheel based horn instead on the button that had been wired direct into the battery and stuck on the dash, the internal heating fan is now also working! Just leaves the central locking, ordered a new key centre, (presume it was Chinese) which arrived. Re-coded both the new and old keys with Lexia without issue, car starts and runs fine but still no central locking.

Should I create a new topic for this or carry on here as I'm keen to share lexia screens to hopefully get some guidance from the great minds on here on how to resolve this?

Many thanks,

Tom
Last edited by tomc71 on 08 Mar 2021, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Does the central locking operate normally from the button on the dashboard?
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

Yes, and i can get it to lock and unlock the car from Lexia.
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

Just to recap, I have tried the following:

1) new batteries in remote
2) New remote pcb (both old and new remotes happily synced to the car with Lexia)
3) Car starts fine with both keys now so the RFid chips are happily being read by the steering lock aerial and talking to the immobiliser.
4) I have had the old key tested by a locksmith who advises it puts out a strong signal.
5) I have run through the BSI reset process countless times.
6) I've tried the key sync process (wait 1 minute, in the ignition, press the lock button within 10 seconds etc) process even more times.

I can see there is a High frequency receiver listed which cannot be seen, (I can switch this off in the ECU section of Lexia), there is also a question mark around faults for the under the steering wheel module however all functions on the steering wheel, (wipers, indicators lights stereo controls etc) all work fine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xqPeUx2YJUVxnhVbA

The engine immobiliser parameters state that there are two coded keys:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vvFD82QvJxgs6RJH8

The high frequency remote control says there are two keys but they cannot be seen, (nothing changes on this screen if I press the buttons on either key)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tmef4gXT7T48fYRUA

Viewing the "ECUs Present" Screen shows the following, I can configure the "High Frequency Receiver" ECU to absent but for some reason I cannot configure the two "Handsfree Kit/Portable Unit" ECUs to absent despite there being no Hands free kit on the car, (There was something before which was stuck on the BSI but I have now removed it).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TTQaQXS2mUJuvuF17

Is the BSI configured incorectly? Am I missing the obvious? Any thoughts would be very gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Tom
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 08 Mar 2021, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Image Tags
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

tomc71 wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 21:29 6) I've tried the key sync process (wait 1 minute, in the ignition, press the lock button within 10 seconds etc) process even more times.
Not sure if im reading that right but you switch the ignition on then wait 1 minute before pressing the remote buttons?
The way i find works best for me when i have any trouble syncing fobs is to sit inside with door closed, switch the ignition on then immediately start pressing the lock button repeatedly for 10 seconds, remove the key then repeat with second key, remove the second key then wait 30 seconds, open then close the drivers door then try the remotes.
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

wheeler wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 07:49
tomc71 wrote: 08 Mar 2021, 21:29 6) I've tried the key sync process (wait 1 minute, in the ignition, press the lock button within 10 seconds etc) process even more times.
Not sure if im reading that right but you switch the ignition on then wait 1 minute before pressing the remote buttons?
The way i find works best for me when i have any trouble syncing fobs is to sit inside with door closed, switch the ignition on then immediately start pressing the lock button repeatedly for 10 seconds, remove the key then repeat with second key, remove the second key then wait 30 seconds, open then close the drivers door then try the remotes.
Thanks for the response, I've tried various timings but essentially all have involved hitting the lock button almost immediately on switching the ignition on, with door open and closed. My next move will be to clean up all the contacts between the BSI and the coms unit and see if this has any effect.
Thanks,
Tom
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the wipers/horn/lights all work as they should then i don’t think cleaning the connectors will do anything as they all share the same wiring. All the info transmitted between the coms unit & BSI all go down the same 2 wires.
Total long shot here but have you tried re syncing the fobs in a different location to where it’s parked now, incase there is some sort of interference from a transmitter somewhere, its not unknown for this to happen.
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

wheeler wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 10:43 If the wipers/horn/lights all work as they should then i don’t think cleaning the connectors will do anything as they all share the same wiring. All the info transmitted between the coms unit & BSI all go down the same 2 wires.
Total long shot here but have you tried re syncing the fobs in a different location to where it’s parked now, incase there is some sort of interference from a transmitter somewhere, its not unknown for this to happen.
thank you, Useful info, I forget that CAN is based on transfer of data and not specific voltage signals. I guess I'd better put the wheels back on then!
tomc71
(Donor 2021)
Lexus RX400h 2005

Post by tomc71 »

So, took the chance to clean up the connections, just in case but as pointed out, no success. I did however spot that the date of manufacture on the coms unit (96643 946 xt) was 20-12-10 whereas the car is on a 58 plate, could this be why Lexia is not seeing it properly? Is anyone else had experience of getting a "?" in the fault column for "Switch module under the steering wheel" (when all functions on the stalks work fine) and no dialogue with the "high frequency receiver"? (also is it normal to have this listed separately if it forms part of the coms2003 unit?

Picture of Lexia Global Diagnosis linked below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ursyp1kRzXNqbgdp6

Many thanks again.

Tom