Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

With the positive there is always a bit of negative for balance. Maybe even a whole dollop of negative.....

Make your own mind up, reported by Electrek

https://electrek.co/2021/02/17/hyundai- ... -in-korea/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hmmmm!!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 09:17 With the positive there is always a bit of negative for balance. Maybe even a whole dollop of negative.....

Make your own mind up, reported by Electrek

https://electrek.co/2021/02/17/hyundai- ... -in-korea/

Regards Neil
And on the ICE side of the coin.....fighting fires on a couple of fronts!

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/recalls/ ... -c-2095392

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Fight fire with fire eh? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

GM's only production electric car right now is the Chevrolet Bolt.

Not everything in the Chevvy Bolt garden is rosy, but relax GM engineers have come up with a software solution to a potential battery fire risk. What comes highest on design priorities....autonomous driving capability, or having failsafe systems so your car doesn't catch fire, in the course of normal use :?: Never mind....software to the rescue.

Currently Bolt drivers are advised to limit charging to 90% and a temporary fix is available from GM to apply the limit, but now GM engineers are confident they can restore 100% charging capacity by April 2021.
A team of GM engineers has made substantial progress in identifying the root cause and potential remedies for this issue. They are in the process of validating state-of-the-art software that can diagnose potential issues early and restore 100% charge capability. A final remedy for this recall is anticipated for April 2021. Until that time, if you have not already done so, we recommend scheduling a service appointment with your dealership to update the vehicle’s battery software to automatically limit the maximum state of charge to 90 percent.
Re-assuring don't you think :?:

The link with yesterday's story.....The GM Bolt uses the same cells, but but GM seems to have come to a different remedy.

Story here.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Peugeot beats Renault in France :!: (EV Sales Report)

While in some aspects Stellantis and their CEO have not been that inspiring, signs are emerging that they are overtaking the "French" car maker which should have been eating up the EV market in France, Renault.

Bit of healthy competition and rivalry may just wake up Renault in their own back yard. Lets face if Renault allow the Dacia Spring to flourish, and hit some ambitious production targets, they could disrupt the entry level market price for EV's., and it does need disrupting.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Its Public now as opposed to rumour as Bobins reported here
bobins wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 19:21 Hyundai in the news with their electric cars again...... but not for the right reasons.
More at the BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56156801
This is Electrek's take on it, and its implications for GM which use the same battery cells in their Chevrolet Bolt.
https://electrek.co/2021/02/24/hyundai- ... lacements/
GM is still facing their own recall, but has opted instead (at least at the moment) for a software fix. Hyundai’s decision to replace the batteries stands in stark contrast to this. However, if the previously reported cause (cell separators) is actually the case, that may be why. GM has informed us that they do not use the same separator as Hyundai. This may explain why GM is convinced that a software fix can be enough.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There may be a bit of intrigue in a back story to make of what you will. LG Energy Solutions are South Korean, but the battery cells were produced in LG Energy Solution’s Nanjing plant in China. The "We aren't to blame" position predictably comes from both Hyundai and LG Energy Solutions.
https://electrek.co/2021/02/23/hyundai- ... for-e-gmp/
Meanwhile Hyundai plump for another South Korean Company SKI, and Chinese Battery Giant CATL, to supply their batteries for their new E-GMP Platform for their EV's

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Techno ... glomerates.
On the side-lines SKI batteries have been banned for 10 years in the USA, after a judgement in favour of LG Chem and against SKI for theft of LG Chem trade secrets. (LG Chem are now LG Energy Solutions)
So how do Hyundai get this resolved and restore confidence in owners of the vehicles recalled. Perversely they will have to find a way of working with LG Energy Solutions, both to truly analyse and solve the problem, and to replace the battery packs. Having said that's what they are to do, the owners will expect them to do what they say.

In the USA, the Chevvy Bolt owners, are being offered something short of Hyundai's response and the problem GM claim is not the same. However there may be an expectation from owners, that battery packs should be replaced, and also an expectation that if they aren't replaced, their vehicles will become blighted on a resale. In a country not shy of class litigation, while GM might not want to offer a battery replacement as a remedy, time will tell whether their software solution is judged to be the correct response.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I've just been reading up on the roll-out of E10 petrol from around this summer.
'The DfT says that the use of E10 should reduce petrol prices but will end up costing drivers more as its lower energy content means cars will be less efficient.
Its impact assessment states: "Introducing E10 will add to fuel costs paid by motorists. Moving from E5 to E10 is estimated to reduce pump price petrol costs by 0.2 pence per litre. However, as the energy content of the fuel will also decrease, motorists will have to buy more litres of fuel. Overall fuel costs for petrol cars are therefore estimated to increase by 1.6 per cent as a result of moving from E5 to E10."'

The list of compatible engines seems a little random when it comes to their 'compatible from' dates. According to the ACEA document https://www.acea.be/uploads/publication ... bility.pdf
"Peugeot, Citroën and DS:All cars with petrol engines are E10 (EN228) compatible since 1st January 2000." So if you're car was registered on 31st December 1999 then it won't be compatible. Yeah, right ! :roll:

Super Unleaded will still be E5 grade for the next 5 years, but after that...... will there be a big pile of scrap cars that were otherwise perfectly serviceable ? :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

The RAC did a useful little summary of it. Firstly, as the RAC Foundation points out, there could be as many as 600,000 vehicles on our roads that aren’t compatible with the fuel.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emis ... ffect-you/
"Many of these are likely to be owned by those from lower income backgrounds and while it is welcome that E5 petrol is not being phased out altogether, owners of these vehicles will face higher fuel costs – and will also have to hunt out those forecourts that still sell E5.

"Some retailers will also not have the capacity to be able to provide both E5 and E10 fuels on forecourts, so the impact is likely to be most keenly felt by those with incompatible vehicles in rural areas.

"It is also vital that owners of affected vehicles are aware of the changes. We’d like to see the DVLA writing to these owners to inform them that E5 will no longer be the standard premium grade, and to let them know their options."
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I don't know what kind of authority this lot are but they have a page on

"Using E10 Fuel with Classic Cars"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There is a fairly straightforward method of removing the Ethanol that can be done at home - but to say it's risky is underplaying it a little. Your petrol can be mixed with water in a tank, the ethanol and water combine, and you can then draw off that mix to leave Ethanol free petrol behind. Not sure of the wisdom of people sloshing tanks of petrol around in their garden sheds though 8-[
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

This raises an interesting point bobins, given that the change to E10 has been stipulated by the government. If you decide to remove or reduce the Ethanol in your fuel would that render you liable to similat offences as running red diesel in the family car? While I appreciate that is principally a tax avoidance issue the similarity comes in the fact that you would be operating in defiance of the government, would you be breaking the law? :?:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 08:34 ...you would be operating in defiance of the government, would you be breaking the law? :?:
I cannot see how. Even Government officials, advisors, and (some) MPs/Ministers defy the Government!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 09:10
mickthemaverick wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 08:34 ...you would be operating in defiance of the government, would you be breaking the law? :?:
I cannot see how. Even Government officials, advisors, and (some) MPs/Ministers defy the Government!
Very true James! I guess it would depend on whether the government introduce legislation about it or not? :)