Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:16
CitroJim wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 16:48

Even though they're currently (pun intended) no use to me, maybe they will be one day ;)
Watt are you saying Jim? :-D
Maybe if I get an electric car and I don't have a suitable charging point at ohm ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

CitroJim wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:23
mickthemaverick wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 17:16
CitroJim wrote: 11 Feb 2021, 16:48

Even though they're currently (pun intended) no use to me, maybe they will be one day ;)
Watt are you saying Jim? :-D
Maybe if I get an electric car and I don't have a suitable charging point at ohm ;)
Surely you have Ample space to install one? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Resistance is futile, Jim. Watt can you be thinking?
Chris
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Repetition there Chris which suggests the reVolting habit of plagiarism. A chap called Henry once told me that pinching another person's idea is plagiarism while pinching everybody's ideas is research! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have only one thing to say to all of the above... :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

A Birmingham joke,

When someone says "You know what." the reply would be "Yes outside the town hall with his hand out catching pigeon s**t."

James Watt's statue by the town hall, or was until they ripped the town centre apart to 'modernise' it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I am not particularly well informed on the progress of the infrastructure roll out, but reading the article on the global news thread which Neil posted this morning gave me an idea which may already exist!! As both GM and Ford have now made significant commitment to electrifying their products, would it not be a good idea for all the manufacturers to contribute towards the cost of upgrading the supply for charging network, as we have discussed, and put it down to their marketing budgets? After all the biggest single incentive to buying electric is to eradicate all forms of the existing range anxiety which always pokes it's head into customer's thinking when considering the conversion. Surely it is worth some manufacturer investment to safeguard their sales of electric vehicles? Look what happened to Betamax!! :)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Many have dabbled, and TESLA built theirs so they could sell their cars as a pioneering all-electric brand, quite a remarkable feat, and getting truly global, and creating a bit of a TESLA Club feel and brand loyalty. TESLA Rival NIO in China at least are possibly going one step further to create exclusive clubs which provide a destination and meeting place for fellow NIO owners as well as the charging facilities.

VW are doing it
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/ ... cture-6734

Porsche too

On the other side of it Energy companies (former oil and gas Companies) are buying up the smaller fish so that ultimately they will dominate in On the road Charging business.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Havent found much since but in 2016 BMW Ford VW Group (inc Audi and Porsche) and Daimler clubbed together with Ionity to build a network of 400 fast charging points across Europe.

They at least kicked it off with 20! as reported in this Autocar Article from 2017.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... ev-charger

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yes I can see there is some action there following the Tesla plan regarding public charging but I was more leaning towards investment in the local cable distribution networks to bring them up to the necessary standard to support street charging at every lamp post and domestic garage/driveway. There are 92 houses in our road giving somewhere between 80 and 150 cars. For them all to be chargeable overnight we are going to need a significant upgrade in the cabling feeding the street. The initial answer, 'they'll have to take turns' just isn't workable. People will want to charge when they need to, and not be restricted by that sort of arrangement. So someone will have to do the necessary calculations, similar to the ones used to determine telecomms links capacities which are measured in Erlangs, and then calculate the necessary upgrades to the infrastructure to provide charging for all users as needed. That will cost a fortune and that is where I was suggesting the manufacturers should be sponsoring it in order to protect/develop their own sales. :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This article provides some interesting reading;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/ele ... d=msedgntp
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ran past the BP Pulse HQ in Milton Keynes during my long run this morning...
Linford Wood HQ
Linford Wood HQ
No shortage of EV charging machines in their car park!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I noticed that address on a couple of e-mails. I am in the BP Pulse Club but haven't been using their chargers much recently. Useful if you are travelling out of area, but I don't really need it most of the time. I got the card linked into the chargers that Morrissons use even though they aren't in the BP Pulse stable, which is a bit of a safety net when out and about.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Yes TESLA come top of the list for their supercharger network, very exclusive though only TESLAs can use them.

Meanwhile TESLAs can happily plug into the rest of the charging infrastructure as well. Case in point big battery TESLA Model S hogging number 1 Northumberland chargepoint today. The little green indicator on the charger was less than half-way, so with a long wait in prospect headed for charger 2 some 4 miles away.

Bit black fat cat ie a Jaguar I-pace was plugged in. Green indicator was at 85% even then 5% above a considerate public charger charging session so prospect of a lesser wait so did just that. Looked at the charger info the Jag had only been on 10 minutes so when he started he must have been at 80% anyway. By the time the owners returned the Big Black Jag was up to 99% charge.

Now they have as much right to use the charger as me but hogging a public charger to take the car from 80% to 100% is just bad manners. Highly unlikely that the Jag's existing battery reserves when they arrived could not have got them to their destination. Long distance travel being pretty much a no no right now.

They are single user chargers, you cant charge 2 cars at once. While we were in the middle of waiting an optimistic, new red leaf arrived but would have been back of the queue, so they departed.

I usually like a chat with ev charging buddies, but the returning Jag hogger returned without as much as a glance across, sorry to keep you waiting etc, touch of ignorance or arrogance, so I didn't feel inclined to exchange pleasantries.

While we were charging up along came an equally large Landrover Hybrid thing. I told the driver as he was hovering by the charger, that two cars would not be able to charge at the same time even though 3 cables sprout from the charger, of which he was blissfully unaware, but that we only charge up 80% so wouldn't be long seeing as we were up to 61%. He was pleasant enough, as was yours truly.
100% Black Jag
100% Black Jag
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Sadly it is exactly that sort of thing at the charger site, which will only get worse as the number of EV's increases, that makes me think I will only make the change when home charging is sorted. You also have to bear in mind Neil that the folk in your part of the world are, in general, far more sociable, considerate and polite than the average oik darn sarf!! Consequently using public charging as a default position would almost certainly result in some unpleasant and unnecessary scenes anywhere within 50 miles of Charing Cross!! :-D