Bargain Basement Motoring

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Bargain Basement Motoring

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 07:12 That's a proper classic dash and well designed to do all kit needs to do and be easy on the eye... Perfect!
If you notice the blue "thermometer" that's the temperature "gauge". It has three indications Blue/off/Red.....no need to bother with gauges and pointers or digital readers. I have never seen it go red yet :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Two Micras.  <br />One is a nice bright colour but I prefer the £100 one!
Two Micras.
One is a nice bright colour but I prefer the £100 one!
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

One of the other bargain basement cars in the maintenance fleet, and my remaining flimsy connection with French cars, is the "6 bottles of Wine" Renault Clio which I kicked this thread off with.

MOT time for it and not much to speak of, a broken rear coil spring, and the headlights have become lets say less clear than they were when they were new, so either need a bit of resurrecting, or replacing with new or second-hand. I think they are probably past the toothpaste renovation stage.

Second-hand requires a scrapyard trawl which I don't fancy and could have to visit a few before hitting lucky with lights better than the ones in the BB Clio. I have never bought anything off e-bay, and don't intend to start with Clio headlights. New appears to be my favoured alternative at the moment, and with with the discount currently at ECP the price is £57 a piece, and two new ones plus the rear coil spring ends up at £131.

Whether Carparts4less/ Eurocarparts are the same thing or different is a matter of debate but for exactly the same, and I mean exactly, Carparts4less comes out at £100.

I think convenience and certainty of getting the parts, and in for the retest ASAP, may prevail. They are in stock at Sunderland, although that may just be a bridge too far, although undoubtedly the quickest way of getting what is needed.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The one in Team Valley may be easier to get to Neil, straight down the A1.
That bridge is a bit out of your way too, ECP is just off the A19 and close to Town Centre Citroen.

They will deliver if you are prepared to risk that.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Neil is there not a semi local indie parts supplier that you can call, okay i am down in deepest dorset but a lot of our "indies" do deliver and you can talk to them and get the info of the part they are supplying.

Colin
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 19:08 The one in Team Valley may be easier to get to Neil, straight down the A1.
That bridge is a bit out of your way too, ECP is just off the A19 and close to Town Centre Citroen.

They will deliver if you are prepared to risk that.
I've had a little google street view explore, so yes just off the A19 turn left by Evans Halshaw Nissan...that's not bad Only chance of getting the stuff Wednesday. 8am to 6pm opening.

Sunderland were the only one in the vicinity which had them is stock....Thursday for the rest including Team Valley. Occasionally the local factors can come up with decent prices, but I think they are way out on headlights for the Clio, although if you press them they will discount items from the first price they quote you.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

admiral51 wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 19:21 Neil is there not a semi local indie parts supplier that you can call, okay i am down in deepest dorset but a lot of our "indies" do deliver and you can talk to them and get the info of the part they are supplying.

Colin
Thanks Colin
I would use my local garage to get the stuff for me from their factor, deliver 3 times a day, but they just cant compete on price most of the time, and not on the headlights I need.

REgards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

No worries Neil just wanted to mention it incase you had not "factored "that in lol

Colin
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

admiral51 wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 19:46 No worries Neil just wanted to mention it in case you had not "factored" that in lol

Colin
You might be arrested as an accessory for that one Colin :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Have you put a post in the Wanted forum Neil, just in case someone has a pair of headlights? :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Ebay looks good to me, these people have pretty good looking ones for decent money and original parts of course:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-RENAULT ... Sw0FRftVf4
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 19:56 Have you put a post in the Wanted forum Neil, just in case someone has a pair of headlights? :)
Might have been a good idea. I probably have more time than I think I have, but am in "get it sorted" mode. I have temporarily lent out the Micra, so in reality there should be plenty of time to get the Clio returned, but I am conscious in my own mind that getting it back as soon as I can would be better.

It creates a bit of probably unnecessary energetic motivation, to try to get it sorted tomorrow. In reality I would be better off calmly ordering the parts, or asking around like you say, getting them delivered and taking a bit longer to get the retest. Quite happy with the carparts4less price, and the benefit of 2 new headlights.

I guess though that the charge about tomorrow is more on the cards, being familiar with how I think :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 20:02 Ebay looks good to me, these people have pretty good looking ones for decent money and original parts of course:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-RENAULT ... Sw0FRftVf4
Thanks Mick, look alright but just not how I tend to do things. For just over £40 after the discount you get new ones from CarPart4less.

Going second hand, without time-pressure I would have a good look round at a few scrappies. I would get a headlight after looking at a few and selecting the best for £10 a piece. It would no doubt take most of the day, and involve a tour of Northumberland and Durham in the process! :-D I think I'm happy to go new on this one though.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Did you check ECP for their discounts Neil - only if you order online then pick up at the depot.
I saved £90 on a radiator fan for the C5.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 21:30 Did you check ECP for their discounts Neil - only if you order online then pick up at the depot.
I saved £90 on a radiator fan for the C5.
Yes Headline ECP price is £82 ish and discount brings them down to £57 ish.
Headline Carparts4less price is £55 discount brings them down to £44.

Delivery up here is 3-4 or 3-5 working days, with no option for next day delivery or same day delivery. So if I want to make it happen this week looks like an essential visit to Sunderland is on the cards. :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey