1.6HDI Partner Not Starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GIBBO1
My Cars: Peugeot Partner

1.6HDI Partner Not Starting

Post by GIBBO1 »

Hi All,

Having some issues diagnosing a fault with a Partner van and would value some additional thoughts / experience.

The van doesn't start, the dash lights up when the ignition is turned on, but doesn't crank when the key is turned to the start position, the relays in under the dash click, starter, battery and all earths are fine.

A scan with Autocomm shows no comms with the engine ECU and this is reported in several of the other control modules.

Live data in the BSI module shows the transponder is recognised and the ECU and BSI are matched, the ECU shows as locked.

This is the strange part, looking in live data after scanning the vehicle at around 90 seconds with the ignition switched on the ECU changes to Unlocked and the van will crank an start and runs fine with no codes present in any modules.

I have tried an unlocked ECU with the immobiliser removed and get exactly the same behaviour
I have replaced the under bonnet fuse box as this is where the starter and ECU control relays are, looks like its these that are not being switched on, looking at a diagram these are IC controlled by CAN from the BSI
All wiring has been checked between ECU, BSI and Fusebox with a 21w bulb to ensure continuity
ABS module CAN has been bridged as I understand this is a known issue
CAN looks normal on a scope when running and with the fault

I am confused now, it will only run with the diagnostic tool plugged in after a full scan?

Any ideas or similar issues / fixes anyone has would be gratefully received, I am thinking it has to be the BSI that's causing the issue but would like a second opinion before replacing it

Many Thanks

James
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 1.6HDI Partner Not Starting

Post by wheeler »

What engine is fitted & what year is it?
GIBBO1

Post by GIBBO1 »

Hi Wheeler,

Its a 2009 DV6ATED/E4 engine 1.6 HDi 90, ECU Is Bosch EDC16C34
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Strange one. Did it cut out when driving or just not start one day?
Does the engine ECU have good power supplies & grounds?
Have you checked the BSI for any signs of water/liquid ingress?
GIBBO1

Post by GIBBO1 »

Hi Wheeler,

Just non start in the morning, no issues prior to this.
All power and grounds are good, should the ECU respond to diagnostics when locked? Seems almost like it hasn't received the command to wake up?
I cant see any signs of water or water marks on the BSI

Thanks, its got me confused
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GIBBO1 wrote: 14 Feb 2021, 17:33 should the ECU respond to diagnostics when locked?
Yes it should, The ECU being locked only prevents starting. No communication with the ECU (assuming you diag kit is working correctly) is often a sign of it not being powered up.
When the fault is occurring do you have a 5v feed at the air flow sensor with the ignition on?