Philosophy and cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Philosophy and cars

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 13:42 Unless you go and buy classic cars for pleasure, if you buy any modern car these days there isn't the choice to buy/lease/rent a simple one.
No, I believe the last of the truly simple cars was the Series 1 C1/107/Aygo... Mine, now Robyn's, has manual windows, no central locking and on the dash, nothing more than a speedo, a fuel gauge and a few warning lights... Not even a clock! Although the radio covers that requirement...

Apart from having power steering, its complexity is about on a par with my AX :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 16:16
No, I believe the last of the truly simple cars was the Series 1 C1/107/Aygo... Mine, now Robyn's, has manual windows, no central locking and on the dash, nothing more than a speedo, a fuel gauge and a few warning lights... Not even a clock! Although the radio covers that requirement...

Apart from having power steering, its complexity is about on a par with my AX :D
Series 1 2005 to 2014 apparently....that's getting on for classic now :-D My Micra is 2005 and obviously escapes my generalisation, but still would have required Nissan's Datascan thing to remove old codes from the SRS ECU before the light on the dash went out. Managed to do it without the visit to the Nissan garage luckily, by replacing the entire ECU sardine tin from the local scrappy.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Anyone know if Dacia's come fitted with gizmos and unwanted extras that ultimately cost you extra, or are they relatively basic ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 16:37 Series 1 2005 to 2014 apparently....that's getting on for classic now :-D
:lol: Good point Neil ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 16:16 No, I believe the last of the truly simple cars was the Series 1 C1/107/Aygo... Mine, now Robyn's, has manual windows, no central locking and on the dash, nothing more than a speedo, a fuel gauge and a few warning lights... Not even a clock! Although the radio covers that requirement...

Just had a look at the "New" model C1 Jim, and found the number 1 of the highlights of its features quite refreshing...maybe it continues to retain some of its simplicity :-D

The sort of thing if I had bothered to negotiate hard when I bought my Raleigh Hustler in 1975, I'm sure the cycle shop would have thrown in to the deal. :-D
https://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/citroen-range/citroen-c1/
https://www.citroen.co.uk/new-cars-and-vans/citroen-range/citroen-c1/
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'd like to see the tyre levers in the puncture repair kit Neil 😂 The S1 carried a proper spare but I imagine the S2 just carries a can of sealant...
Jim