cam belt replacement and upholstery,

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

exasperated
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 3 litre

cam belt replacement and upholstery,

Post by exasperated »

Hello all,
It has been a long since I posted an inquiry. but as my 2008 C5 has been behaving it self and I have been working on a Lancia Appia3 there has been no reason to post.
However I now inquire about the need to change the cam belts. It is recommended to change them after 10 years or 100 000 km. My car has only done 56 000 km.
What is the experience on the need to abide with the time limit recommendation?
Parts of the upholstery, particularly the central tunnel have become very sticky. The car is always parked in a closed garage so I must rule out sunlight as a cause.
Is this a common problem with Citroens?
Thanking you,
Regards.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: cam belt replacement and upholstery,

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, always change the belt at the recommended intervals or earlier.

Both the 3.0 HDI and the 3.0 ES9A Petrol (as I'm not sure which you have) should be replaced at 180,000 kilometres, not a 100,000 for reference or 10 years - whichever comes soonest.

This is under 'Arduous' conditions, which is what Citroen designate South Africa's climate as.

As for the plastics, I think you may find that age related - some plastics have plasticisers or chemicals to soften them or make them pliable. Over time these rise to the surface and evaporate, bringing other elements of the plastic to the surface and mix with cleaners, oils and other contaminants from cleaning or oils from the hands. This reaction is what causes the sticky feel. I've not yet had this happen ion a car, but then we don't have the climate you have there.

I have had this issue with computer accessories and used isopropyl alcohol cleaners to remove as much of the stickiness as I could. I would not recommend that for any painted internal trim as that stuff is pretty thin as it is and it will just remove the lacquer and paint. But for rubber or hard plastic, you might try soap and water or some vinyl dressing to remove the residual.

Some years ago on my X7 the painted plastic coating on the door handle trims was peeling off - especially on the passenger side (probably caused from rings on fingers). It was woefully thin as it was. So I removed the lot - front and rear doors, removed all the paint and lacquer and cleaned, primed and re-painted these in the body work colour (I had the leather beige interior) and the trim was the same as the bodywork. So I had some paint made up to match and over a week I resprayed and re-lacquered them with about 3 coats of paint and lacquer. They were hard as nails after that :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Ceenine
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: DS4 Crossback 2.0l
C5 X7 HDI Exclusive 2.2l sedan
C4 1.6l HDI EGS
Peugeot 405 Mi16

Post by Ceenine »

Marc, I doubt you used 2 pak paint which would be the only type (read hardness) capable of resisting the ravages of women’s nails and rings. I believe the fault lies in the nature of the driving which causes the nervous behaviour of the passenger. The damage would have occurred prior to your ownership of course.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:rofl2: Indeed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
exasperated
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 3 litre

Post by exasperated »

Hello All,
Thanks for the replies. I will have to have the belts changed , better safe than sorry. I can only imagine the cost of dealing with the cost of repairing the damage to the engine resulting from broken belts.
Regarding the sticky upholstery I have tried many different cleaners without success. The solution, i now feel, is to cover the affected areas with suede type of material in the same colour as the plastic. A big job but worth the effort. I have a 1938 Packard which used this material for the door cards. It is easy to work with, strong and thin.
Regards,
Exasperated.