Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

Post by Peter.N. »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 16:12
Peter.N. wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 16:07 Another well known garage, anyone recognise it?
I would guess you are at Beamish there Peter, without looking it up but remembering some of your posts.

Regards Neil
Well done that man. I'm surprised no one else recognised it.

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Beamish is still on my to do list Peter, it was ruled out of the September Stroll due to Covid closures so next time I head north!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 16:45
Loving the motorcycle combination outside :D I guess it (and the garage) dates from the mid to late 20s.

A nice big V-twin by the looks of it...

They Manufactured their own bikes for a time. That is one of theirs
Dene BB 2698 outside the Haymarket shop Newcastle circa 1924

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes Mick. tickets for admission last for a year, we try to get up there a bit earlier the second year so we can get in free - didn't work last year, mind you we did go in twice while we were up there. There was a classic car show on the Sunday, it poured with rain all day!

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 16:52
CitroJim wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 16:45
Loving the motorcycle combination outside :D I guess it (and the garage) dates from the mid to late 20s.

A nice big V-twin by the looks of it...

They Manufactured their own bikes for a time. That is one of theirs
Dene BB 2698 outside the Haymarket shop Newcastle circa 1924
A brief Potted History Neil :D

https://cybermotorcycle.com/euro/wikig/Dene.html

I would think the engine in BB 2698 is a JAP* and the bike dates from 1922... One always associates Sturmey-Archer with bicycle 3-speed hubs and not realising they were a big maker of motorcycle gearboxes in the 1920s...

*Not Japanese but a product of J A Prestwich ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

I do believe there are a couple of "denes" at Beamish......next to the repurposed Caterway Heads AA Box from the A68 above Consett
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 17:03 I do believe there are a couple of "denes" at Beamish......next to the repurposed Caterway Heads AA Box from the A68 above Consett

Regards Neil
That's a great picture :D I do rather love bikes of that period... They are beautifully elegant and the paint jobs on their tanks is exquisite :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Altnahara Hotel.jpg
This is what passes for a garage in the Scottish Highlands. On the A836 at Altnaharah, one of the remotest villages in Sutherland.

The road from Lairg to Tongue has some of the best scenery in Scotland, forests, rivers, lochs and mountains, its about 40 miles long and this is the only village.

It has the distinction of having the lowest recorded temperature in the country - it has also had the highest. Single track road with passing places, can get busy twice a day but I have done the length of it at night and not passed another car.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 12:54 ImageThis is what passes for a garage in the Scottish Highlands.
That's lovely Peter... I like that, minimalist and does exactly what's needed with no frills :-D It gets my approval ;)
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 17:33
Peter.N. wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 12:54 ImageThis is what passes for a garage in the Scottish Highlands.
That's lovely Peter... I like that, minimalist and does exactly what's needed with no frills :-D It gets my approval ;)

It gets my disapproval, 'cos they were the buggers that 'accidentally' put more than the fivers worth of petrol in my motorbike that I asked them to. I have a long memory :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well you might be pleased to know Bobbins that the last time we went past the pumps looked as though they were being broken for spares. When we first saw them there was a notice that said: 'for fuel ring bell at hotel'.

Here is an even more minimalist 'garage' Jim. On the north coast road at Bettyhill, the next fuel was I think at Thurso about 40 or 50 miles east. Beautiful beaches in this area, very few people on them though.
Attachments
Skelpic 006.jpg
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 20:23 It gets my disapproval, 'cos they were the buggers that 'accidentally' put more than the fivers worth of petrol in my motorbike that I asked them to. I have a long memory :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Peter.N. wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 22:59 Here is an even more minimalist 'garage' Jim. On the north coast road at Bettyhill, the next fuel was I think at Thurso about 40 or 50 miles east. Beautiful beaches in this area, very few people on them though.
I like that :D I really must go to Scotland when I can... Been watching a CH4 series featuring the West Highland Railway and the place looks so achingly beautiful :cool:
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Crask inn.2.jpg
It is beautiful Jim and well worth a trip. The west side is the best - depending on what you want, its also warmer, but we prefer the east, still beautiful but more rugged with less people and traffic and free parking everywhere. This is fairly typical of the east side. (Sorry its not a garage)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 10:12 ImageIt is beautiful Jim and well worth a trip. The west side is the best - depending on what you want, its also warmer, but we prefer the east, still beautiful but more rugged with less people and traffic and free parking everywhere. This is fairly typical of the east side. (Sorry its not a garage)
Excellent :D A lovely road trip for Daffodil in the summer if we're allowed 🤞
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Two in one.....
An old Garage, and an old pub
An old Garage, and an old pub
Un obvious pub names number 1
Un obvious pub names number 1
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey