2.0 TDCI (HDI) Engine Troubles - Loss of Coolant - Low Oil Pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FordGuy
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 HDI
Ford 2.0 TDCI

2.0 TDCI (HDI) Engine Troubles - Loss of Coolant - Low Oil Pressure

Post by FordGuy »

Hey fellas. Years ago I owned a Citroen C5 2.0 HDI and it was one of my most memorable cars. The magic hydro suspension was amazing! Out of all the cars in the world to steal however... It got stolen a little while back, most probably for parts, and I ended up in a Ford out of all vehicles. Surprised to later find out it was the exact same engine!

Recently however I've had troubles with it but failed to get much help on the Ford forums due to the fact that most diesels sold in Ford's were either the 1.4, 1.6 or fords own 1.8 TDCI. The 2.0 is not that common oddly enough. I thought I might have better luck here as its more populated with C5 owners etc.

The vehicle is a 2012 Euro 5 138ps version @ 220,000 miles. Full service history. Serviced every 7000k / 3 months due to my job requiring a bit of long distance driving.

As I was driving the car I experienced a loss of heating in the vehicle. I toyed with the climate control however nothing changed. It was just cold air pouring out. Thinking it was some kind of failed sensor, I ignored it and kept driving. Around 10 miles later the Low Oil Pressure light illuminated. Surprised, I pulled over to check the dipstick. Nope, oil is fully topped up (just came out of a service.) I turned the engine back on and no warning lights appeared.

To be on the safe side, I turned back and headed to my mechanic which was around 15 miles away. I drove slowly at low RPM just in case. As I pulled up I noted an ever so slight wiff of an hot engine, whilst the fans where on full blast, something I've never experienced before. I shut off the engine until the mechanic popped out to take a look. He said all of the coolant had drained out, he topped up a few litres but it just keep filling up. I never thought to check the coolant as the temp gauge was bang on the middle as always. He advised I leave it with him but he is fully booked for a few days and would take a look as soon as possible.

Realistically, what kind of damage am I looking at here? Possible head gasket/cracked block? Is it normal for THAT much coolant to just disappear? Don't forget I had my heater on through out the journey.

I'm bracing for the worst, so lets say supposedly it was the headgasket, does anyone know of a rough price of how much it would cost to sort out?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 2.0 TDCI (HDI) Engine Troubles - Loss of Coolant - Low Oil Pressure

Post by RichardW »

If it was still running when it got there, the HG is probably OK. If you get a big hole in a hose or the rad it can lose all the water pretty quick! Hopefully just a new hose. I would expect a HG job to getting on towards a grand....
Richard W
FordGuy
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 HDI
Ford 2.0 TDCI

Post by FordGuy »

RichardW wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 07:14 If it was still running when it got there, the HG is probably OK. If you get a big hole in a hose or the rad it can lose all the water pretty quick! Hopefully just a new hose. I would expect a HG job to getting on towards a grand....
Thanks for the reply. The only reason why I am so worried is the low oil pressure light came on. Why could that be? If water got into the engine would that result in low pressure? I would have thought it would be higher pressure, but what do I know. Mechanic still has not had a chance to look at it, he did say he would be busy a few days at least. The cost of the HG job sounds daunting.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Low oil pressure due to thinned, overheated oil.

You need to keep a watch on the water, maybe pressure test the cooling system and check for combustion gases in the radiator.

If it's the head gasket on this engine it might be a very slight blow and take a fair bit of time to show up, not getting into the oil but burning off in the exhaust.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.