2.0 hdi berlingo starting problem( siemens)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Raul
My Cars:

2.0 hdi berlingo starting problem( siemens)

Post by Raul »

Hi

At already -10 degrees celsius the car is almost impossible to start, it takes a lot of cranking with multiple rounds to finally start the engine. I have a lexia tool and it shows no relevant codes under the injection( only something about heating relay circuit or smth). As much as I understand the car does not need glow plugs to start. I checked the rail pressure while idling and it showed 251 bar. If I turn off the engine, the rail pressure drops instantly to zero. Is it suppose to be like this or should the pressure remain in the rail after the engine is turned off? It seems to me that the rail pressure is too low during the cold starting and because of it the ecu will not fire the engine. What could cause it? Leaky injector(s), fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure sensor, fuel temperature sensor?
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Citroen gs 1,2 pallas 1977
Citroen xantia 1,9 td estate 1996
Citroen Xantia 2.0 hdi 90 2000
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2.0 hdi berlingo starting problem( siemens)

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Glow plugs are only really used for cold temperatures and for post-heating when needed, to assist with regeneration by helping increase the temperature. The Glow Plugs under warmer weather aren't used as often for starting, if at all. So as it's -10° with you, that may be why you are having starting problems - but moreso if your glow plugs are non-functional, or the glow plug relay actually is faulty.

When you turn the ignition on without starting, leave it a while to see if the glow plug light comes on and goes off and then try to start it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

Today I checked the fuel pressure during cranking. It showed over 300, around 350 or so. So it seems that fuel pressure is not a problem. During cranking it catches -catches-catches but takes a lot of cranking to finally fire up. I also pumped the gas pedal , it seems to help firing up. The fault I got with injection is "pre-post heating relay open circuit or short circuit to earth". So I think the pre-heating system might cause something even though I have read that glow plugs should not be even needed to get the engine going.
I would like to measure if the glow plugs get the voltage during cold start. I have a warm garage where glow plugs would not come on during starting. How can I test them ? Disconnect some temperature sensor?
Last edited by Raul on 16 Jan 2021, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

That should be more than enough rail pressure to get it going. Does pumping the hand primer first help?
what is your cranking RPM?
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

I was under the impression that pumping the throttle on a diesel was a waste of time to try ans start it, only thing it does is exercise your leg.
Maybe in the days of carbs and petrol pumping injects extra fuel into the engine but nowadays the ECU controls that.
comments anyone.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

That should be more than enough rail pressure to get it going. Does pumping the hand primer first help?
what is your cranking RPM?
I have not tried priming with hand. I will try it next time. The cranking RPM should not be an issue because I changed the starter for a more powerful version last year. It cranks very good. The glow plugs were also changed last year so I do not think they are the problem. I would like to test if the voltage is applied during cold start but if I get the car into the warm garage then the ecu would not even apply the voltage to the glow plugs. I assume disconnecting some temperature sensor should make an ecu to belive that there is cold outside and it should apply voltage to glow plugs? Which sensor should I disconnect if it is so?
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You are correct with the 'leg exercise' comment Steve.

As for the glow plugs at minus 10 degrees I would think they are essential so that's where I would be checking first. I don't know about the Berlingo but on the C5 they're not easy to get at and in warm climates they're hardly ever replaced.

There's a video here with how to test and replace them but it's on a C5 II

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Re ... FORM=VIRE
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Raul
My Cars:

Post by Raul »

I got it sorted. The problem was that the permanent live that should go from the battery positive to the glow plug relay was instead connected to the earth point. I do not remember but this could be my own mistake. When I bought the car a couple of years ago I changed the clutch and I needed to disconnect a lot of wiring to get the gearbox off the car. The wire that goes to the glow plug relay is coloured black and looks like an earth wire so maybe I made the mistake while putting the things back together. The car started quite Ok this morning at -11 degrees, it needed more than a half crankshaft turn to start but compared to the previous state it is night and day.
Citroen gsa 1299 , 1982
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>