Trivia Investigation Team

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Trivia Investigation Team

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 12:14
I found it easier to annotate your post Neil, I hope you don't mind!! :-D
I thought you would know stuff about it. The red does look a touch angry though!

The fuel bit in the article ended up with this comment from Ross Brawn, Managing Director Motor Sports, Formula 1,
“Formula 1 has long served as platform for introducing next generation advancements in the automotive world. We are delighted by the momentum on sustainable fuels which perfectly aligns with our plan to be net zero carbon as a sport by 2030. Our top sustainability priority now is building a roadmap for the hybrid engine that reduces emissions and has a real world benefit for road cars. We believe we have the opportunity to do that with a next generation engine that combines hybrid technology with sustainable fuels.”
Personally I hope he's barking up the wrong tree with that one :-D There is already a solution which eliminates not just reduces emissions from hybrid engines.....remove the burning bio-fuels/synthetic fuels/fossil fuel bit and replace it with an electric motor.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 12:47
The red does look a touch angry though!

Regards Neil
Sorry about that, I've softened it now :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The ultimate destination for Formula 1 will be that they'll put all the various teams car's parameters and skill levels of the drivers and track conditions and anything else they can think of into a big AI computer, and that'll have a think and it'll decide the winner without a wheel being turned. For those that want to watch the thrill of the chase, the same computer will produce a DeepFake video for you to watch.
You heard it here first :rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 13:25 The ultimate destination for Formula 1 will be that they'll put all the various teams car's parameters and skill levels of the drivers and track conditions and anything else they can think of into a big AI computer, and that'll have a think and it'll decide the winner without a wheel being turned. For those that want to watch the thrill of the chase, the same computer will produce a DeepFake video for you to watch.
You heard it here first :rofl2:
:lol: dare I say that'll be one heck of a lot more exciting than the real thing is currently... F1 = yawn... All it's any good for at the moment is inducing sleep...

Anything that brings a bit of action and excitement back to it is to be welcomed ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 17:50
:lol: dare I say that'll be one heck of a lot more exciting than the real thing is currently... F1 = yawn... All it's any good for at the moment is inducing sleep...

Anything that brings a bit of action and excitement back to it is to be welcomed ;)
Like the trout in my local river when I cast a fly, I will not rise to the bait!! :-D

Odd that it still draws a far bigger TV audience than the Tour de France tho? :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 17:57 Odd that it still draws a far bigger TV audience than the Tour de France tho? :twisted:
That's because watching bike racing is a bit like watching the grass grow Mick, I'm no great fan despite my love of cycling...

The problem with the TdF and indeed most all bike racing is all the action happens in the last few minutes or even seconds and the rest is just a tedious procession... It's sometimes tolerable if you enjoy seeing French countryside passing by but even that can become too much.

And if David Millar is commentating... Oh dear :twisted:

I find the written reports of bike races in Cycling Weekly a far more satisfactory way of following them...

I'm generally not a spectator... I'm a participant. I only truly enjoy a sport if I'm taking part in it and in the thick of the action... That goes for all sports...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

CitroJim wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 18:14 I only truly enjoy a sport if I'm taking part in it and in the thick of the action... That goes for all sports...
I'd have to agree with that 100% Jim :yes: but sadly I just can't do any of them as well as I used to, and if I can't meet my own standards I'd rather not disappoint myself by playing/doing badly because of bad eyesight, naff muscles and overgrown midriff etc. So I sit on the sidelines, preferably at the venue, and throw out lots of unwanted but nevertheless experienced advice!! :-D

The key things about motorsport in general are the smell, sound and atmosphere rather than the vision so being there is paramount!! Since I retired from rallying I have been to three separate one day stage tests and got progressively slower so I know my driving days are over and these days my competitive satisfaction comes from quizzing and indoor 'games' ie cards , dominoes and suchlike!! :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 18:33
The key things about motorsport in general are the smell, sound and atmosphere rather than the vision so being there is paramount!!
Absolutely Mick :D Back in the 80s I used to race 100cc Karts in the International class... The atmosphere was intoxicating, the noise, smell of Castrol R-40, the spectators and the camaraderie of fellow racers was magical :) Somehow those vital elements just don't come across when seated in an armchair in front of the telly... It all becomes a bit sterile... I find a good written account of the event can however capture these elements.

There was an element of 'tongue in cheek' in my earlier post ;) I loved your response :D

I've attended a lot of sports events over the years and enjoyed them all... Even football and especially rugby, where the atmosphere in the stands is awesome :D Given the chance, I'll even go and watch am MK Dons match as long as I'm standing in the stadium...

The Don's stadium has been the finish point for some of my runs over the years and running into the stadium at the end of the MK Marathon is really quite special :D

Same with live music, even if I'm no great fan of the band, I can still enjoy being at a live concert - again simply because of the atmosphere which is lost on a recording...
mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 18:33 Since I retired from rallying I have been to three separate one day stage tests and got progressively slower so I know my driving days are over and these days my competitive satisfaction comes from quizzing and indoor 'games' ie cards , dominoes and suchlike!! :(
That's such a shame Mick :(

On the plus-side you're keeping the competitive spirit alive and that's good for both the mind and wellbeing :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

What can be discovered with this small corner of todays POTD to start with :?:
find out what you can about this.
find out what you can about this.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nice to know Ritchie of Forfar has a bit of history

1870......All started here

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and the places to get named are Kincaldrum, Gateside, Forfar. 1870 the County would be known as Forfarshire.
Roughly here, just up from Dundee and down from Forfar on the A90 in Angus.
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and the next bit of the gate story has Ritchie moving into Forfar proper, and all of the non local deliveries were made by the railways leaving from Forfar Station.

In 1965 as a strategic move to address the so called ‘Beeching Cuts’ of the railway networks and the closure of Forfar station, Ritchie’s first delivery truck was introduced and covered the whole of the UK! A door to door service was then available to the customers, which was so successful that a second vehicle was added by the spring of 1966.
temp4.png
An excuse to view their fleet in 1969 :-D Looks like they gave Bedford a bit of business.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 09 Jan 2021, 23:08, edited 3 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

It would appear that Ritchie are still going strong, here is a stock pile in Bredon Worcestershire:
BFTW
BFTW
Now here is a pair of gates which may or may not be connected:
BFTW
BFTW
And here is the basic recipe for Ritchie soup: :-D
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

Slight Diversion from Ritchie, but they did build their factories in the Whitehills area of Forfar adjacent to the station and shipped their deliveries to the rest of the UK via Forfar Station an the goods handling facilities.

Railscot are a little precious about their images, and they are a bit thin on the ground for Forfar Station.

Every trace of the old station has now been demolished apart from the old engine sheds, which can still be seen behind Market Street. Passenger services were lost in 1967, and goods services continued until 1982.

Link to railscot
DMU on a Railtour 1968 at Forfar Station
The Last Train from Forfar (1982 farewell Railtour) 40143
A4 Bittern in 1966 at Forfar Station

REgards Neil
PS
The DMU used...... A Railway Society of Scotland tour - name unknown - that is believed to have run from Stirling to Menstrie, Dollar, Newburgh and Forfar. It was operated by a 2-car Class 100 (set 28, 51109 + 56308) both in rail blue, The DMBS with full yellow end and the DTC with just a small yellow panel. There seems to have been no headboard carried for the tour .

Railcar.co.uk supplies the info and a nice pic or two
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Todays mission if you decide to accept it is to help me find the name of a track and the artist from a Film
What is the first track which provides the background to the movie "Mississippi Grind" in the first scenes :?:

The movie was aired after the snooker finished last night on BBC Two. It will be on the I Player. Caught my attention straight away when the first blues track kicked in, no words in the "track" as played. I have a rough idea but it isn't quite right, and I would like to nail the actual recording for that section of the movie. It does appear at other points I think.

No idea whether the movie is any good or not, but it's soundtrack is a tour de force of blues artists.

So help me if you can. If you have one of those phone apps which can listen to a song and tell you what it is should be quite getable.

Link to the film on I=player, the track plays from 1.20 to 3.20 while the titles roll
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ippi-grind

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Jan 2021, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey