Citroen saxo coolant

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonathancilia
My Cars: Citroen saxo 1.5D
Lada samara 1.3

Citroen saxo coolant

Post by Jonathancilia »

Hi, i need to change the coolant of my citroen saxo 1.5 diesel, what is the colour that is supposed to be in the cooling system, red coolant or blue ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Citroen saxo coolant

Post by CitroJim »

These engines will use blue Ethelene Glycol as standard but do check that OAT has not been used in the past... This is likely to be orange. If so then use OAT again as blue Ethelene Glycol and OAT do not mix. If they do mix, bad things may happen as it tends to make the mixture coagulate (clot).

If OAT has been used and you wish to revert to blue then a very thorough flush will be required..

Not that some long-life Ethelene Glycol may be red or green in colour. Some antifreezes are pink but I'm not sure what they are...

If in doubt, use the same colour again or very thoroughly flush before refilling...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Jim's right - there is no standardisation for coolant colours, although "long life" and OAT (organic acid) types tend to be red/pink/orange, and glycol types tend to be blue or green. But never assume, and don't go on colour alone.

If in doubt about the make and type already in there, flush out thoroughly and replace. Put a sticker/note on the engine to show what you have used, and do any topping up with the same stuff.
Chris
Jonathancilia
My Cars: Citroen saxo 1.5D
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

I flushed the system four times, including opening the drain on the engine block and added blue coolant