Timing

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PaulVmax
My Cars: Pug Expert 1.9D
VW Passat 2.0
KIA Sportage 2.0

Timing

Post by PaulVmax »

Hello All,

Van is running all though sounds like a bag of spanners. Was running perfectly fine and thing started to make a horrible sound like if I left my spanners in the rocker cover.

I cant find the pin to hole to lock the crank, When i fitted the timing belt i pined the cam and fuel pump but i just used the key and the square on the engine block as a visual marker.

Dose any one have a photo or drawing to where the crank is pinned ?

Cheers.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Timing

Post by wheeler »

The crank is pinned in the flywheel, there is a hole in the block up behind the starter.
Is the poor running immediately after the timing belt change?
PaulVmax
VW Passat 2.0
KIA Sportage 2.0

Post by PaulVmax »

I have fitted a fuel pump and timing belt poor running after fitting the belt.
PaulVmax
VW Passat 2.0
KIA Sportage 2.0

Post by PaulVmax »

Do you have a picture or the location of the hole as i cant see it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

PaulVmax wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 15:42 Do you have a picture or the location of the hole as i cant see it.
Almost impossible to photograph it... Almost invisible... It's on the engine to bellhousing flange and best found by feel... It's just below the point where the oil filler/breather connects to the crankcase.

I use a length of copper brake pipe to both feel for the hole and lock the flywheel... You know when you hit the flywheel with the pipe as it rings like a bell...

Chances are you'll find the timing half a tooth out, it's so easy to do.

Lock all three, cam, crank and pump and refit the belt... Ensure the belt is tight between the cam, pump and crank sprockets and any slack is on the water pump and tensioner side of the belt... This will ensure that when the tensioner takes up the slack and tensions the belt the timing won't be upset.

When done, remove all locking pins and rotate the engine slowly by hand using a socket and T bar on the crank pulley bolt around six times and then recheck the timing before going for a start...

Never rotate the engine backwards, either when doing this check or lining up timing holes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

PaulVmax wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 15:42 Do you have a picture or the location of the hole as i cant see it.
It's almost impossible to see, you need to feel for it, (it's tight in the corner above the starter motor flange). or remove the starter motor for ease of access. Haynes manual has a not very clear photo.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

As said you can only just see the hole if you look up with a torch, you wouldnt really get a good pic of it unless the starter was removed.
This is the pic from the workshop manual, this is looking up from underneath the vehicle.
3 is the flywheel peg tool.
Attachments
crank peg.gif
PaulVmax
VW Passat 2.0
KIA Sportage 2.0

Post by PaulVmax »

sorted guys Timing was fine it was an combustion knock air was getting in through the glow plugs