Bringing things back from the EU

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Bringing things back from the EU

Post by bobins »

It would appear that EU eBay sellers selling to the UK will need to list their prices as Net VAT and eBay will automatically add and deal with the VAT for a whole range of items*. This doesn't necessarily mean increased prices as the local equivalent of VAT was always charged (where applicable) anyway, it's just that now the VAT will be calculated and applied via the applicable UK rate. The EU has deferred the reciprocal arrangement for 6 months.
Ts & Cs apply.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Moderator note
Can I just ask that we rein back on really bad language and personal insults/accusations here?
Quite happy for the practicalities of EU-UK purchasing to be discussed, of course.
Trying to take a gentle line here, but forum rules do need to be respected.
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

VAT rules are pretty complicated but Ebay sellers will only be affected if they are registered for VAT, if they are they will already be accustomed to handling the paperwork.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

There isn't just the VAT to be taken into account. There might also be import duty to pay. And this will probably be handled by the Post Office (or is it Royal Mail, not sure) and they have a flat handling charge as has already been mentioned.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Sellers must be pretty used to varying rates of VAT between countries (and not just within the EU), and by-and-large cope with it (rightly or wrongly) either by charging VAT at the rate in the seller's country, or the buyer's one. Amazon has been particularly chaotic over this, but as they manage to pay little or no tax in many of the countries they operate in, I suppose they don't much care.

It will be interesting to see how UK sellers - particularly 'marketplace' ones - react to any new rules. Those of us who live outside the UK have got used to many UK online sellers posting "The item you have ordered cannot be delivered to your address". This is odd, as postal services have operated seamlessly for years across the EU, even to the extent of postal service tracking numbers being completely unified. Couriers, in the main, operate similarly.

Can only conclude that many small UK sellers just cannot be bothered to mail an international package, even a small one. Maybe they feel life ends at Dover; "Fog in Channel, Europe isolated". Who knows?

That same "cannot deliver" message rarely appears on items sold on Amazon.de or Amazon.fr - both of whom will deliver internationally without issue, and often incredibly cheaply.

Even more odd is that some of those reluctant UK sellers often have their items on .de or .fr Amazon sites, and an order placed for delivery to Spain not only gets here promptly, but is dispatched from the UK by the seller themselves, and at a delivery charge significantly less that a UK one.

Over the years, we have got into the the habit of doing a search on Am.uk for an item, then simply copy-pasting the items title into Am.es/de/fr, to (usually) find a lower Euro price, and cheaper delivery.

Answers on a postcard, please.
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Amazon may have their own rules that restrict trade across borders. I know that it used to be the case that certain sellers had to sign up to the fact that they weren't allowed to sell cheaper anywhere else apart from their Amazon 'marketplace'. You might find that Amazon wouldn't let them sell at that price on the .co.uk website, but they would let them sell at that price on the .de website - for example.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

This is what the HMRC has to say about receiving things 'from abroad'. It was updated 22/12/20

2.3 Limits for Customs Duty and Import VAT

The limits for Customs Duty and Import VAT are:

• commercial consignments (goods you’ve purchased) of £135 or less are free from Customs Duty and not subject to Import VAT - this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters as these items are excluded from the relief of Customs Duty and VAT at import is payable
• commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of Import VAT
• if you’re sent a gift with a value of £39 or less, which complies with the rules shown in section 2.4, it will be free from Customs Duty and Import VAT (gifts of alcohol and tobacco are subject to the limits shown in section 2.5 and gifts of perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits in section 2.6)
• Customs Duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135

In summary:

Goods value - £0.01 to £135 Customs charges applicable - No Customs Duty No Import VAT
Goods value - £135.01 and greater Customs charges applicable - Customs Duty due, Import VAT due

Excluding the following: alcohol, tobacco products, perfumes and toilet waters. These items do not benefit from the relief of Customs Duty or VAT at import, and alcohol and tobacco products will also be liable to Excise Duty.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... post-users