C4 Picasso 2014 Injector Coding

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Athens1896
My Cars: Citroen C4 Picasso

C4 Picasso 2014 Injector Coding

Post by Athens1896 »

Hello All,
I am newbie to the forum!
I have a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6HDI year 2014 with just over 16k. The engine code is DV6C automatic.
A few weeks ago as I stopped on a motorway exit slip road the car went into limp mode. The instrument panel lit up light a Christmas tree saying ESP / ASR was at fault. The maximum speed was 20 miles and radiator fan continuously was running continuously. Switching the engine off and back on did not help. Could get a bit more speed if manually changed the gears :(. Anyway managed to get the car home and interrogated the ECU. Came up with an error code P0271 which identifies injector 4 or its associated wiring at fault. I measured the resistance and capacitance of the injector. The resistance 165k Ohms and the capacitance 9micro Farad which I understand is high. I have replaced the injector with a new VDO injector. The car works and drives well but I cannot input on DIagbox the new injector calibration factor. The software allows me to input the code but then states it is impossible to code. It then tells me to follow a procedure to switch on and off the engine and drive it between 1600 and 2600rpm which I did. When I checked again the ECU it was displaying the old injector code. I have seen posts saying and YouTube video stating that you don’t need to code the ECU.
My questions are:
Will the ECU obtain the injector code automatically from the injector as it is being driven?
Is there another way of inputting the code on the ECU?
Athens1896

Re: C4 Picasso 2014 Injector Coding

Post by Athens1896 »

Can anyone help with this query?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop your VIN up for me (automatically masked from public view on submission of post) so I can check some info regarding the injection system on this exact vehicle.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Athens1896

Post by Athens1896 »

Hi Marc,
Here is the vin VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so the first thing you need to be aware of is that there is an After Sales Recall Campaign being flagged up for your vehicle under this VIN and as this is a DV6C engine - it could well be an injector system issue. Others here with this engine have had major work done FOC as a result of a known issue.

So before you do anything, I would get it booked into your nearest Citroen dealer after calling them, quoting your VIN and telling them you have been made aware of a an After Sales Campaign that is still being flagged as outstanding. This won't cost you anything and may just resolve some issues you are having. I wouldn't suggest you have done anything to the injector system yourself as this may void their obligation to rectify / undertake any work if the recall is intended for the injection system.. It may of course be something totally unrelated - I can't tell you this.

Unfortunately, with this engine it could have any one of 4 ECU types fitted and does not specify, so I can't advise on the coding, but I think it likely it will be a Continental / Siemens system.

Marc
Athens1896

Post by Athens1896 »

Hello Marc,

Thanks for the information. I will check the recalls with Citroen, although from the quick search I performed on the Internet I did not find any relating to the exact year of manufacture of my vehicle but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. These are the ones I found:

https://car-recalls.eu/recall/citroen-c ... 2016-2018/
https://car-recalls.eu/recall/citroen-c ... e-booster/

The injector has been replaced as mentioned in my original post. I was intending on sending the faulty injector to be checked at diesel center - not sure who to use but I suspect the piezo actuator on the injector is faulty.

The injector PSA part number is 9802448680 which are manufactured by VDO / Siemens / continental with a cross reference number A2C59513556. I would assume that the ECU is manufactured by the same company. I remember glancing at the ECU label at the time but I am not certain if it stated the company name.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's a reason why you won't find them on the Internet - they are not classified as safety recalls, only 'After Sales Campaigns' and as such, are not required to be notified to VOSA.

The After Sales Campaigns are voluntarily undertaken by the manufacturer when they become aware of certain issues and may decide to undertake the work as a preventative measure for something that may well turn into a problem at a later date - with a higher cost to resolve - for which they may be liable, especially if the car is still within warranty.....

I can access this directly from Citroen from your VIN, so take it as read that there is some remedial work to be done, but like I said, only the dealer will be able tell you exactly what is involved as they have the specifics.

Marc
Athens1896

Post by Athens1896 »

Thanks Marc.

I have fired an email to the dealer to find out what is listed. Curious to see what it is!

Picked up some months ago the auxiliary belt fraying due to one of the two tensioners failing to provide tension. Perhaps it is that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hard to say - there have been a lot of issues with the DV6C variant. The more tweaking and mods they make to meet Euro standards, the more bits they add, remove, modify and the more problems there are. Timing and Injection are the 2 main issues I'm aware of on these, so get it booked in - don't mention what you have already done - as they may decline to do any work!

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Athens1896 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 23:35 Thanks Marc.

I have fired an email to the dealer to find out what is listed. Curious to see what it is!

Picked up some months ago the auxiliary belt fraying due to one of the two tensioners failing to provide tension. Perhaps it is that.
If you give me your reg number I can tell you what it is but yes there is a current campaign on DV6 engines to replace the aux drive belt and/or the tensioner.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Only one outstanding recall on this one & its for the aux belt/tensioner replacement.
Athens1896

Post by Athens1896 »

Excellent, thank you Wheeler