White smoke

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonathancilia
My Cars: Citroen saxo 1.5D
Lada samara 1.3

Re: White smoke

Post by Jonathancilia »

About 2 years ago. It was running good when it was changed
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

How many miles since?

Peter
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

About a year and a half ago, was not smoking white though, only started smoking recently
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Miles unknown the odometer doesnt work lol but he doesnt use it much
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Today i removed one of the diesel injector on the car, the nozzle was scored abit in circles near the pintle. We raised the car and did very hard pulls to get rid of the smoke maybe but it seems to have got worse as now even at idle its smoking white. I smelled the exhaust it doesnt seem that its oil
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Can this be a stuck open injector maybe?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 17:11 Can this be a stuck open injector maybe?
Very doubtful... In an IDI engine they often look a bit careworn around the pintle but work fairly reasonably... If the injector was dribbling I'd be more inclined to think the smoke would be black...

White smoke indicates unburned fuel... A potential cause is loss of compression and this may be a result of a valve not fully closing or burned...

It may be worth having a garage conduct a leakdown test on the engine. This is analogous to a compression test on a petrol engine and can be very revealing.

In the meantime, check the valve clearances, looking especially for very tight ones...

That you cannot smell oil is potentially a good sign as it suggest it's not a piston or ring problem...

in any case, the fuel is not being burned at all. Black smoke would indicate partially burned fuel, usually because of a lack of air or a poor injector spray pattern.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Mhm, a local garage told my father that a bad injector can cause white smoke, it seems its smoking more when hot, when cold it smokes when raced hard only but when hot it smokes all the time, and ALOT its very concerning lol
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

The priming bulb is not staying hard, when you pump it, it hardens but softens again after a few seconds, on my diesel saxo it stays hard all the time
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

My fear is that its losing compression, starting wise its very hard to start when cold but the glow plugs are not lighting correctly, it could be part of the cause, when shutting off it shuts off instantly with no delay so to me that indicated the engine has good compression to force the pistons to stop, power wise, it has good power and even on a very steep hill it races to the top
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

You can do a quick check on compression - with a hot engine or a cold one - by cranking the engine without letting it fire up. Prevent firing by disconnecting the wire to the stop solenoid, or by holding the engine-stop lever (if it has one) on the injection pump.
If you crank, and listen to the series of compressions as the engine turns over, they should all sound equal (equal resistance). If one or more cylinders is down on compression, you will hear the cranking accelerate briefly each time that/those cylinders compress.
Chris
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

We did that, to me it sounds that its turning over normally, i was going to try a set of new bosch injector nozzles and see from there, but the set i have are for the citroen saxo diesel engine, with code DN0SD299 and the ones on the 305 are DN0SD256, they have different pressures i suppose so didnt try them although from outside they are exactly the same
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jonathancilia wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 20:36 We did that, to me it sounds that its turning over normally, i was going to try a set of new bosch injector nozzles and see from there, but the set i have are for the citroen saxo diesel engine, with code DN0SD299 and the ones on the 305 are DN0SD256, they have different pressures i suppose so didnt try them although from outside they are exactly the same
They will do for a test as provided they are both intended for the same make of pump (either Bosch or Lucas) then they'll work well enough to eliminate the old ones as a cause...

For the amount of work involved, it's worth a try...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Ill try that, thanks mate :) i heard the number difference is the spray pattern will be abit different but they will work anyway
Jonathancilia
Lada samara 1.3

Post by Jonathancilia »

Is the bosch injector 27mm deep socket?