Bargain Basement Motoring

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Bargain Basement Motoring

Post by mickthemaverick »

I also am in the dilemma of things going wrong, principally the screen ecu which I have now replaced twice and still not got a worker, against the overall brilliantness, or brilliantcy if you prefer :-D , of the Mk1 C5 Exclusive SE. When fully functional it is the most completely competent car I have owned, which is why I am on my 3rd, but it is becoming too difficult to maintain in 100% condition due to parts issues and I agree with you Steve about the newer options. So I am currently looking for a top spec Mazda 6 which is the second most all round competent car I have owned to reluctantly replace the C5!! :( :( :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Odd coincidence there Mick - I was all set to buy a Mazda 6 but the Civic turned up on my doorstep, no need to go 7 miles to pick the Mazda up.

It was a better car and I could have stuck a roof rack on it.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A bit spooky that Steve, it's a shame the Honda turned up really because I agree the Mazda is a much better option!! :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

True. I think the only people that will be able to afford to run the C5 will be those who can repair them or have sufficient disposable income to be able to pay for repairs. I can just about still repair mine but if the time comes when I can't I will probably have to go down market.

I think that the C5 even the steel sprung version is the most affordable (to buy) luxury vehicle on the market, there are very few cars in that price range that give the comfort and ride that the C5 does. Ride comfort is the most important thing for me and the sprung ones I have now ride even better over rough surfaces than all my previous hydropnumatic Citroens.

If you don't mind the average car made now that rattles you teeth loose you have plenty of choice but if you can repair a c5 yourself there is no contest - unless anyone knows otherwise.

I have had no serious problems with either of mine in the more than a year I have had them, the steel sprung manual version being the most reliable and the fuel consumption is brilliant - depending on how you drive of course.

The steering rack leaks on one of them but not a lot, I just keep it topped up. The price they are now makes it worth fitting a rack, but a lot are being scrapped for silly faults which I'm sure many of us could repair.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I must say the hydropneumatic C5 X7 is possibly the most loveliest car I have ever ridden in. Never driven one but from the passenger seat they are magic...

I do agree about the claustrophobia aspect Steve... You do feel a bit cocooned in there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I agree with Peter regarding the C5 X7 being a lot of car for very little money and i have had 2 both steel sprung. The first was a 1.6 that was not cared for enough, it never broke down until it turned into the Devil Car but over the 8 years under ownership it was faultless and lack of regular maintenance and attention was the cause of the issues.
The other one, which we still have is a 2.0 Hdi and touch wood it has been fine and TBH is not BBM it cost us 4K 14 months ago.
The current one was bought @ 52k miles full service inc cambelt/water pump new discs and pads all round etc etc.
So not BBM, yes i can do the filter and fluid changes but prefer to send it to someone i trust to do the work.
However the 2000 Xantia i have is what i call BBM, i have had it for 2 years, paid just under £650 for it and had done 75k when i bought it.
Adding up what i have spent to get it right to my standards is not much fun, most are normal service and wear and tear parts but when you add it up BBM is not cheap.
4x new tyres, new discs and pads all round, 2 new calipers, complete set of spheres and LHM, 4 x oil/filter fuel filter changes, 2x air filters, 1 x fuel pump 1x front strut return pipe and bracket.
1 x standard radio, 1 x radio antenna, 2x replacement cooling fans ( yet to be fitted ).
In total i think i am close to £1500 spend + purchase price :(
However in the 2 years the car has done 26K miles as my daily hack, gets me to work and back, and allows me to take home £28k each year .
I think it all boils down to what BBM means to each of us.
I love the Xantia, but if i had the choice and chance i would get another C5 X7 and store the Xantia, yes i love it but the tipping point has just about been reached, mainly because i want it to be right, not just ok
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

CitroJim wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 17:26
I do agree about the claustrophobia aspect Steve... You do feel a bit cocooned in there...
I have had to think about that having owned 1 for the last 10 years albeit with a gap of a year or so.

I tend to agree thinking about it, there is something that is not quite right in the design, not sure if it is the dash that seems to want to come and greet you or the design of the front window channels that just make it seem confined when in reality it is not, however when sat in the rear seats it seems to be a huge car with lots of room.
Maybe it is just personal perspective but have to admit i still love them

Colin
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Here's the BB Micra today Christmas Eve. Looks happy enough, and I'll give her 5 minutes of fame on POTD too :-D
first snow art!
first snow art!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mine would have been the same if it had been here.

Snow, snow, thick thick snow.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Interesting to read the comments about cramped space/claustrophobia re: the C5. A good while ago, I was able to drive a C6 (same platform) very briefly, and the feeling was the same - comfortable, but very little feeling of space inside. Lots of unyielding black surfaces seemingly pressing in.

Interesting to compare that to XM, which just has so much space in which to move, aided further by lots of glass. The humble BX is in the same mould, for both front and rear passengers.

The last new car I remember being like a straightjacket was a facelifted mk.2 Vectra, with its unbelievably narrow driver's footwell, side glass pressing against your shoulder, and head a cm or two away from the roof rail. Was so pleased to get shot of that (otherwise competent) company car, in favour of a much more spacious, would you believe, ZX!
Chris
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

white exec wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 15:46 Was so pleased to get shot of that (otherwise competent) company car, in favour of a much more spacious, would you believe, ZX!
Yes I'd believe that Chris, I had a ZX Volcane and apart from the security keypad it was a great car in every way!! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Even my little AX seems spacious against a lot of modern cars...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If anyone had a series 2 Morris Oxford, now that is spacious. There was room enough in front of the front seats for someone to fall on the floor - it happened to my wife, or at least her passenger.

There was little on no wasted space in the car, the radiator was directly behind the grill and the floor continued on under the dashboard. As it had column change there was nothing on the floor. When they brought the Farina out there was a foot or more of wasted space in front of the engine between the radiator and front grill. The later one was bigger outside but smaller inside!

Peter
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Personally I think there is one significant factor in the loss of space on modern "bigger" cars - Airbags!!! :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

This looks interesting coming up next month with no reserve:
bftw
bftw
https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic ... e-de-luxe/