Bargain Basement Motoring

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Bargain Basement Motoring

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

BB Micra had a day out today keep it ticking over. Recently passed 68000 miles. A couple of satisfying milometers were missed today by occurring just at the worng time.

I knew the slightly satisfying 68068 was on its way so had engineered the trip meter to hopefully read 6.8 at some time when the main reading was 68068. It did occur but by the time I got to a safe place to turn off a mere 100 metres or so further on it had gone to 68069. A very near miss in the number noticing trade.

Luckily we found a place to park<br />The BB Micra is a lot easier to park than one of those SUV things.
Luckily we found a place to park
The BB Micra is a lot easier to park than one of those SUV things.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Bargain Basement Micra still needs those regular maintenance things to keep her ticking along, I was going to reward her post MOT with some fresh oil and a filter but time marched on.

At one time I would click and collect drive 30 miles to ECP, stand in a queue waiting for my turn at the counter, and drive back and do the job.

These days I get it delivered, not extra cost either, and so far it just works. Well done ECP and DHL Oil and filter/pollen filter ordered Saturday on the doorstep this morning. Have to say its the same with the grocery shop and virtually everything else as well.

The high street was going before all of this. So far I have never had any problems with deliveries from any of the usual suspects. I cant remember a time of going shopping in Newcastle Town centre for anything for years now.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As mentioned in another post, due to all the reports of lost deliveries in our local Facebook Group I've somewhat lost confidence in delivery services and I'm going back the other way, at least until the festive season is over and done with...

I've had a parcel lost by the courier recently and an important letter via Royal Mail very recently...

All this parcel delivery unreliability and a number of scams attached to them may be just what the high street needs to help revive it ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

You speak as you find Jim, works very well for us.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 17:35 You speak as you find Jim, works very well for us.
I'm delighted it does Neil and I sincerely hope one day it'll work equally well for us down this way too :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 17:35 You speak as you find Jim, works very well for us.

REgards Neil
Haven't had a problem yet but do have a secure location and the delivery drivers around here are pretty good and neighbours good at accepting parcels for others.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A secure location helps Steve as just last week the neighbours opposite had a parcel go walkies from their doorstep... Normally the couriers know I'm often at home and drop them off with me...

That though, does not seem the biggest problem around here, parcels seem to be regularly delivered to the wrong houses in the wrong streets.

One poor person had parcels put into her green recycling bin on bin collection day... You can guess the rest...

Every day our local FB group has a flurry of posts saying 'I've received a parcel for so and so, does anyone know them?' and 'I've had my parcel delivery marked as delivered on tracking but there's no sign of it. Anyone seen it or had it delivered to them?'

All that sort of stuff going on hardly inspires confidence and it makes me very, very sad that trust in such a valuable service is being undermined :(

And at a time when so many rely upon a trustworthy and secure delivery service... It not only makes me sad, it angers me too...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I do a huge amount of my shopping via mail order and rarely venture into the bigger towns to shop. I seldom have any troubles with couriers and have managed to train most of them well :-D I've not heard of anything ever going missing up our street, though I did once have a courier claim they tried to deliver but no one was in - their depot didn't have an answer when I pointed out the driver would have had to step over me on the driveway if he'd actually tried to deliver it #-o
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

BB Micra down at the coast. It just gets a run out about once a week just to keep it ticking over. It got £10.01 petrol in today and I didn't bat an eyelid. It is good to have it as a standby and it is serving us well.

Visits to the petrol station have been few and far between, and so far the BB Leaf electric car, has proved to be well ahead of fuel savings anticipated when we bought it just over a year ago.
spot the micra
spot the micra
Very nice patterns in the sky from the dunes
Very nice patterns in the sky from the dunes
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the best of bargain basement motoring at the moment is the C5 X7, there practically giving them away. A 2009 estate with Exclusive spec for sale on face book for 700.

Peter
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Peter.N. wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 00:00 I think the best of bargain basement motoring at the moment is the C5 X7, they're practically giving them away. A 2009 estate with Exclusive spec for sale on face book for 700.

Peter
It might be BBM for PURCHASING them, but is it BBM for MAINTAINING them? How much is a refurbished steering rack, including the cost of installation?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 06:23
Peter.N. wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 00:00 I think the best of bargain basement motoring at the moment is the C5 X7, they're practically giving them away. A 2009 estate with Exclusive spec for sale on face book for 700.

Peter
It might be BBM for PURCHASING them, but is it BBM for MAINTAINING them? How much is a refurbished steering rack, including the cost of installation?
Good point well made James ;)
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Which was one of the reasons I didn't replace my C5 with one.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

You can't replace a C5 with a steering rack Steve, there's nowhere to sit! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Indeed.

My C5 needed a steering rack, less problematic than an X7. There was a chance that it needed a rear suspension strut - practically impossible to get now. There were other minor issues too.

But reading on here of the expensive and awkward repairs facing an X7 owner I decided against another C5. All the rest, without hydraulic suspension, are of no interest whatsoever. I don't like the look of them either, other than the early C4 coupé.

Truth be told, I don't like the X7 either. I found them cramped and claustrophobic compared to earlier C5s. The nightmarish 'radio' stuff is another turnoff.

The thing I replaced it with was because it was there, nothing that I sought out, never considered them at all. It is just a thing to go shopping in, which it does reasonably well. Haven't broken it yet (much).
It too is claustrophobic - hard to get in to as well. Just like practically everything else on the road currently.